So You Think It's Nearly All Over

Noremac:
I can’t seen the cycling idea taking off in a big way. So, lets get this straight, the buses are going to be running in a presumably non-profitable way, therefore those that can’t get to the stop early enough will have to buy a bike and cycle to work. Nahh!

Good point.
Cycling for those workers who sit at a desk isn`t too hard. (But they may work from home anyway).
Cycling for those who work physically: security, cleaners, manual workers etc, those who are in poorer paid jobs and live further out in the suburbs? Different story.
Again it is the poorest taking the biggest hit.

Noremac:
I can’t seen the cycling idea taking off in a big way. So, lets get this straight, the buses are going to be running in a presumably non-profitable way, therefore those that can’t get to the stop early enough will have to buy a bike and cycle to work. Nahh!

I think those who wanted and who could cycle, because of an acceptable distance, are already doing it, so I can’t see a big change. Most people don’t use public transport anyway, if they work within walking or cycling distance, so most who use, mostly do that because distance is too long or they have some health issues, so for them there are only two options, personal motor transport or public transport.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

I think the cycle to work scheme was already a flop, barring those who joined the cycle to work scheme to simply buy a bike cheaper than they could normally obtain one for, then pop it on ebay for a quick profit. Electric bikes are a viable option for those who feel that a normal cycle may be a bit too strenuous but cost prohibiting to a lot of people. Who could be arsed to walk to work even if it was only a half hour walk away, especially in bad weather. I don’t think very much will change actually getting to work for the majority, pity there isn’t a government incentive scheme to motorcycle to work to reduce traffic jams, more people will be working from home than there were before this crisis began.

R420:

carryfast-yeti:
i expect most of the Nation will be glued to the box tomorrow at 7pm,hoping for some good news :neutral_face:

“We’re in this together… we will defeat this virus… keep protecting our wonderful NHS… stay at home… save lives… we need everyone to continue what you’re doing to avoid a second wave… together we will beat this… I want to thank everyone for doing their bit, staying at home, saving lives, protecting the NHS.”

Well, who saw that coming? :unamused: Told ya. They’ll keep this bull [zb] going until there’s a vaccine, which could be years away if ever. RIP every business. Billions unemployed. Your kids will be paying 80% income tax for their entire lives to pay for it all.

R420:

R420:

carryfast-yeti:
i expect most of the Nation will be glued to the box tomorrow at 7pm,hoping for some good news :neutral_face:

“We’re in this together… we will defeat this virus… keep protecting our wonderful NHS… stay at home… save lives… we need everyone to continue what you’re doing to avoid a second wave… together we will beat this… I want to thank everyone for doing their bit, staying at home, saving lives, protecting the NHS.”

Well, who saw that coming? :unamused: Told ya. They’ll keep this bull [zb] going until there’s a vaccine, which could be years away if ever. RIP every business. Billions unemployed. Your kids will be paying 80% income tax for their entire lives to pay for it all.

The country has been dekcuf since early 70’s when we joined the EU

Sent while in furlough

blue estate:

R420:

R420:

carryfast-yeti:

The country has been dekcuf since early 70’s when we joined the EU

Sent while in furlough

He said he won’t be looking at allowing “hospitality” and public places to reopen until 1 July at the earliest. That’s 7 weeks away. Pretty much all of them were relying on the restrictions being lifted to some extent in tonight’s announcement in order to stay in business. No way they can survive another 7 weeks without any income when they still have fixed costs to pay. The High Street will look like a wasteland when this is over. No pubs, no cafes, no restaurants, no shops, no leisure facilities, no gyms. All bankrupt and gone.

Two week quarantine now in place for arrivals into the UK too. So no working person can go on a foreign holiday unless they book an extra 2 weeks to allow for the quarantine upon return.

Absolute madness.

R420:
No way they can survive another 7 weeks without any income when they still have fixed costs to pay. The High Street will look like a wasteland when this is over. No pubs, no cafes, no restaurants, no shops, no leisure facilities, no gyms. All bankrupt and gone.

Absolute madness.

The hospitality game was on its way out for the smaller pubs regardless, pubs were closing on a daily basis across the country well before this. People didn’t support these pubs enough to stop it from happening during the good times. I dare say the government furlough scheme has actually saved a few of them of late. The larger brewery owned managed houses will survive through it all. The smaller ones which are tenanted houses have struggled to stay open. It’s a shame but I think even when allowed to open up again, they would probably not be able to meet the guide lines to open with social distancing rules and the unemployment that is inevitable. Nobody will be able to afford or perhaps even be brave enough to go into a pub soon.

I’ve just read on teletext that the infection rate in Germany has increased since their government relaxed their lockdown rules.
I can see us having to get used to living as we are until at least next year.It’s only being happy and cheerful that enables me to keep going!

What’s wrong with “Get back to work, but Maintain Social Distancing”…?

That way, people with a low risk tolerance - can stay at home, whilst those with a healthy appetite for risk - can get back to normal right now.

“First ones back - get the remaining jobs”. Last ones back? - Will end up retiring, because there’s nothing left for them by the time they think it is safe to return to work.

What do you believe?

I think some people believe we should all stay in lockdown until this virus goes away or we have a vaccine, I think either option is unrealistic,
to my knowledge the only virus we’ve eradicated in the global population is Small Pox and that took many decades, and we don’t even have a vaccine yet.

That’s if there is ever one at all, apparently there isn’t a Vaccine for SARS, as far as I’m aware there isn’t a vaccine for HIV and its only recently there has been a vaccine for Ebola.

Even if we get a vaccine quickly most of us won’t get it for years, the first one to get it will be politicians, celebrities and hopefully they’ll be some for healthcare workers and vulnerable people, but us ordinary people I wouldn’t hold your breath.

So I’m not sure how long these people think we’ll be in a lockdown situation to reach their goal, but I think if you’re waiting for eradication or a mass vaccination it could be years.

Looking at the data, it seems for most people this isn’t a serious disease, but for some its fatal, this is mostly for the elderly and those with existing conditions.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … _6_May.pdf

Taking the data from this for England up to the 6th May,

Age % Cases % Death
60+ 51.97% 91.3%
50-59 14.97% 5.62%
under 50 31.58% 2.45%

Figures NHS England show that 94.9% of those who died has pre-existing conditions and 95.59% of the those 60+ who died had pre-existing health conditions.

england.nhs.uk/statistics/s … ly-deaths/

and these figures are only for those that have been tested positive, its well known from antibody studies that many more people have had this, than have been tested, these are mostly those admitted to hospital or Healthcare workers, so taking that into account the death rate will be even lower, especially for young healthy people.

Maybe we should be protecting the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions, which seems to have gone wrong in the care homes in many countries including the UK, but be less worried about healthy people going to work or sitting in a park or going to the beach. Although Social Distancing will still be required to stop the virus running riot and not having enough healthy people to look after the vulnerable.

I was thinking along similar lines muckles.

However, sod’s law you go down the herd immunity route and the vaccine will come early.