Impact of latest lockdown

I’m not interested in whether Covid is real, fake, a cover up or a conspiracy. But we are all truck drivers (unless you’re one who pretends to be a truck driver :unamused: ) so what do you think, if any, impact there will be?

There’ll be loads of hospitality suppliers kicking their heels surely to start with? Brakes, Bidfood etc? Surely they’ll see a drop?

I’m just running through my head the list of places we deal with regular and I can’t see many, if any, closing.

Traffic should be quieter, Christmas will move even further online for sure.

toonsy:
I’m not interested in whether Covid is real, fake, a cover up or a conspiracy. But we are all truck drivers (unless you’re one who pretends to be a truck driver :unamused: ) so what do you think, if any, impact there will be?

There’ll be loads of hospitality suppliers kicking their heels surely to start with? Brakes, Bidfood etc? Surely they’ll see a drop?

I’m just running through my head the list of places we deal with regular and I can’t see many, if any, closing.

Traffic should be quieter, Christmas will move even further online for sure.

Traffic should be quieter. Ah, beautiful. Went northbound over Thelwall at 4pm on a Friday during the first lockdown. Looked in my mirror before overtaking a Tesco wagon. 4 empty lanes of motorway behind me. How much better could it have been?

Yes

Raw food industry here so we good. Feel for those of you doing retail and hospitality. Christmas was your last chance for the work to perk up but no chance of that now and I’ll bet a tenner that the lockdown isn’t just for a month, it will continue into next year. January gonna be apocalyptic so hope you’ve all got other jobs lined up.

Anyone working in the food delivery for restaurant sector might be a bit concerned. There’s a company next door to one of my frequent drops that delivers to restaraunts and I haven’t seen more than 2 of their 9 trucks they have, move for months… :open_mouth:

Anyone in supermarket and parcel companies and Fuel/Boc Gases type stuff should be ok in the run up to Christmas but beyond that, the parcel companies might go quiet so I’m thinking supermarket and bin work is probably the safest as people have to eat, no matter what.

Are the car transporters busy at all? I don’t think I’ve seen one moving older/used cars on the road for months now and I’m not seeing many 70 plate cars either…

Hyh:
Are the car transporters busy at all? I don’t think I’ve seen one moving older/used cars on the road for months now and I’m not seeing many 70 plate cars either…

I do see them quite often. Not as often as ‘before’ mind you but they’re far from extinct (unlike coaches haha)

I had 3 months on furlough in the first lock down but looks like I won’t be this time. Our factory is manufacturing and the stuff they make is for construction. [emoji17]

I also do construction, so I hopefully reckon my job will be ok through this second wave thing.
I was on furlough for 6 weeks last time, the only reason for that was I thought the firm I worked out of would shut temporarily through all this, and I volunteered to be laid off under the scheme, didn’t really fancy doing all the general haulage crap again,.supermarkets etc.
As it turned out the manufacturing firm didn’t close during that period after all, so I was maybe a bit hasty, and others did my job for those few weeks I was off (and tried their best to ■■■■ it up :unamused: :smiling_imp: )
I was still called back in although most others who were on furlough at my place were eventually paid off.
I reckon I was lucky on that score, but got to admit it was great getting a 6 week break away from this job,.and I did enjoy that.:smiley: …but I won’t be daft enough to volunteer this time.

So last time I missed the quiet roads, but caught the tail end of pubs cafes and restaurants being shut, which was a bit of a pain in the arse on nights out away.

Christmas sure will be different this year, and as for everything else it will be a case of strap yourself in and try your best to ‘enjoy’ the ride.

We are tied to the construction industry. We didnt stop during the last lockdown, in fact is was manic and we struggled to keep up. I burnt myself out this year with overwork and no holidays (I had 3 overseas holidays cancelled) and I had just booked a week in Tenerife for November that is also going to be cancelled so it looks like a week of in November with nowhere to go!! :imp: :imp: :imp:
Getting fed up with it all now and I have a desire for normality, to the point of thinking just let the virus run its course. After all I doubt even the vaccine will stop it for what some scientists where saying on the radio.

We’ve still got 3 mothballed trucks and boss is looking to buy the trucks that the lease is ending on
Both our main customers do construction building stuff so we should keep going unless they shut
i can see some going at Christmas :frowning:

About 20% of our work is supermarket stuff so that’ll not be affected, in fact may be busier. The rest of our stuff is supplying the food services sector so I imagine that’ll take a hit. As agency drivers outnumber full timers once again it’ll be them poor buggers suffering.

With regards to traffic levels; I enjoyed the completely deserted roads that much last time that I took to sending Robroy videos of them just to disturb his sunbathing and beer drinking! :smiley:

the maoster:
About 20% of our work is supermarket stuff so that’ll not be affected, in fact may be busier. The rest of our stuff is supplying the food services sector so I imagine that’ll take a hit. As agency drivers outnumber full timers once again it’ll be them poor buggers suffering.

With regards to traffic levels; I enjoyed the completely deserted roads that much last time that I took to sending Robroy videos of them just to disturb his sunbathing and beer drinking! :smiley:

He won’t be sunbathing this time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

msgyorkie:
We are tied to the construction industry. We didnt stop during the last lockdown, in fact is was manic and we struggled to keep up. I burnt myself out this year

Same here. Agency was flat out at the start of it as the company furloughed most of its own drivers and had almost entirely agency doing it for the first few weeks. Started the Monday after it was announced, never stopped. Don’t expect to be stopping this time either. Like you I’ve also been working more hours than I was planning on - was only going to do 3-4 days a week following last years back operation - but ended up flat out. Already earned as much by this week as I earned in the whole of last year.

Homewares,so our stores will be closed again :frowning: possibly get the choice of helping out at lidl rdc at Lutterworth :open_mouth: think i’ll opt for furlough :laughing:

I no longer have any idea of rules, of what’s open and what’s closed. All I do now is walk towards the automatic doors and if my face hits the glass I turn around and go elsewhere!

We do a lot of supermarket and hospitality work. If the latter falls, the former rises. Not exactly the same work, but a rough balance.
Looks like most of our export work will stay the same this time.
Cant see me whizzing around the Parisian A.86 (think London North Circular) on the limiter at 8 oclock Monday morning again.

Punchy Dan:

the maoster:

He won’t be sunbathing this time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Come on, I was in there with you in this crisis, I had an extra can of Boddingtons and raised it to you in support, it wasn’t easy you know all that hot sun, all that beer,. :open_mouth:
I even had walk to the fridge myself from the garden a couple of times when the wife didn’t hear me shouting of her :unamused: …I also ended up with an achy back because of that bloody sun lounger…I really had to rough it all those weeks, you don’t know the half of it, you just didn’t appreciate my efforts of support… :unamused:

the maoster:
I no longer have any idea of rules, of what’s open and what’s closed. All I do now is walk towards the automatic doors and if my face hits the glass I turn around and go elsewhere!

:laughing: :laughing:

Workwise personally it won’t make any difference, same as last time, bar the quieter roads where the 9 to 5 legion are missing.

However i believe this second, and definately to be elongated, lockdown will cause massive economic tragedy to whole swathes of the general working public both here and abroad, and its all by design to shepherd in the Great Reset or as they’ve taken to calling it by those wonderful sounding words Building Back Better.

You’d better all hope Trump is returned whether you like or loath him, he’s the only one capable of stopping what is coming, without him whats we’ve known in the west is going to be lost forever, whether you’ll be aware of this or care a ■■■■ once they plunge Dr Mengele’s vaccine needle containing God knows what into your arm is another question entirely.

Suedehead:

the maoster:

:laughing: :laughing:

+1 :smiley: If there is a better post on TN this week, I’d like to see it. It’s not often something make me laugh out loud in a literal way, but that did it for me :laughing: