SK Merc V8's

Willtrucker1:

Mark R:
Here you are driverjoe. One of Coullings Mercs, this one was parked outside the drivers house in Borden near Sittingbourne. Maybe your dad knew him.

Hello Mark, that’s a photo my grandad took of his lorry about 30 years ago now! Your right it was in Borden, the Road was the old Mount View before it got redeveloped. I scanned this photo up on to the internet about ten years ago now, glad it’s still floating about.

Was a 2028, and my grandads name is Arthur Chapman. Although I know Driverjoe and his father do indead know him.

The reason I saved this photo was because it was taken almost right outside my grandparents house at Mountview Borden. My dad was also a lorry driver and I’m sure he knew Arthur Chapman. I’m sure I’ve got some photos of my dad’s lorry parked in almost the exact same place!
Rgds Mark.

Mark R:

Willtrucker1:

Mark R:
Here you are driverjoe. One of Coullings Mercs, this one was parked outside the drivers house in Borden near Sittingbourne. Maybe your dad knew him.

Hello Mark, that’s a photo my grandad took of his lorry about 30 years ago now! Your right it was in Borden, the Road was the old Mount View before it got redeveloped. I scanned this photo up on to the internet about ten years ago now, glad it’s still floating about.

Was a 2028, and my grandads name is Arthur Chapman. Although I know Driverjoe and his father do indead know him.

The reason I saved this photo was because it was taken almost right outside my grandparents house at Mountview Borden. My dad was also a lorry driver and I’m sure he knew Arthur Chapman. I’m sure I’ve got some photos of my dad’s lorry parked in almost the exact same place!
Rgds Mark.

I have got another photo from a different angle, I’ll dig it out over the weekend end and put it up on hear for you. What was you Dads name? I’ll let my grandad know when I next see him.

My dad is Dave Robinson, he drove for various local firms before he got MS and had to retire. Your grandad might also know my uncle Gordon who also drove lorries. If they all came home for dinner at the same time Mount View looked a bit like a transport cafe!.. I’m sure your grandad will remember the Robinson’s.

Mark R:
My dad is Dave Robinson, he drove for various local firms before he got MS and had to retire. Your grandad might also know my uncle Gordon who also drove lorries. If they all came home for dinner at the same time Mount View looked a bit like a transport cafe!.. I’m sure your grandad will remember the Robinson’s.

Well this is the other photo I was on about, on the back is written "Taken by Allan (my uncle) from out house roof, spring 1988.

I’ll be sure to ask him when I see him next!

IMG_0646.JPG

Thanks, they must have lived virtually next to my grandparents. Nice to see how the old house’s looked before they pulled them down.

Mark R:
Thanks, they must have lived virtually next to my grandparents. Nice to see how the old house’s looked before they pulled them down.

I believe they lived in number 13. They started off in number 12, but 13 became available so they moved into that one because it had a bigger garden. Think they were one of the last to be moved on, my grandad often tells how he went around the empty houses taking the doors off lol.

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre … 2634800152
On e bay

Has anybody got any good pics they can post of V8 Sk mercs from the early 1626 and 1625 to 1628,1633, 1644, 1748 and 1850 etc oh and the old V10 1632■■?
Or any good stories to tell !

These are some of my old merc trucks on Cranleigh Freight.

1628 and 1748

magnum, 2544 and 2435

2550 Pulleyns had it new for first 6 months

2550 here it was with us due to mods being made to 2544’s, eventually bought and registered as M12 CFS

If this the sort of thing your looking for check out http://www.cfs-drivers.co.uk/photopages/oldphotos.html theres older cfs mercs on here

Nice one big jules. I love 'em. keep them coming!

Unsure of the exact designation of this truck, I had it when FVS had it on demo for a few weeks, I think it was a 2544 (maybe 2644)
I do remember it was double drive and plated for 120 tonnes, It had the full width “G” cab and it had a manual 16 speed box . It was geared for weight not speed, top end was 50mph while screaming its guts out with the rev counter nearly in the red…

Only had the 1626 recycled Mesherschmitt on one firm,but did UK tipping work and M/E with it.It was only the “half” sleeper cab.This is one pic taken when chained up in Yugo about 1978.
I’ll post some more pics when I dig them out.

bestbooties:
Only had the 1626 recycled Mesherschmitt on one firm,but did UK tipping work and M/E with it.It was only the “half” sleeper cab.This is one pic taken when chained up in Yugo about 1978.
I’ll post some more pics when I dig them out.

Halfcab?? now thats harsh, i only ever had one of them for a week (a week too long) not for fat buggers.

As sleeper cabs were a relatively new luxury in the mid '70’s,the half sleeper was not bad for the odd night out in the UK.However,it was a bit cramped doing a 4 week M/E trip!

I bet it was, like i said i only had one for a week after i passed my test doing holland and that was a 1617 rigid and cramped was an understatment, after the week i was promoted onto a 1628 artic, they were ok for the day.

thanks a lot for the photos of the oldie Mercs

I ownd a couple of Mercs in the late 80’s early 90’s, the 1628, and the 1748, both were bulletproof and the 48 went brilliant, especially with the computer disconected.

sorry 2 go of the merc thing but seeing them cfs motors i worked 4 them 4 abouut 6 months got 2 say they were a great firm good truck & lovely people 2 work 4 i had a left hand drive super space cab daf & was home most weekends . & when i told em the wife wanted me 2 get a job in the uk they offered me 1 but after years of european work being home every night done me in i lasted about a month & then got a job 4 a firm doing 2 or 3 night out a week but ■■■■ motors . img][/img]

Rikki-UK:
top end was 50mph while screaming its guts out with the rev counter nearly in the red…

you should’ve changed up a gear or two mate :sunglasses:

I’m a big fan of the V8 Merc SK trucks too.
Here’s a few of the ones I’ve driven, old pics from the 80’s I’m afraid. :blush:
Please feel free to ask any questions. :smiley:

Taken in the bed of a diverted river near Udine, Italy :open_mouth:
The delivery address on the CMR was one of the strangest I’d ever seen.
“C” reg 1633

“B” reg 330 twin-steer (Not sure of the designation [2233■■])
Taken in a German lay-by somewhere near Deggendorf on my way to Vienna.

This one was taken in Maenhout’s in Oostende.

Same truck as in the photo above, but this will make an appearance in
“where am I?” so the location is under wraps for now :smiley:

This is me on the ferry from Reggio Calabria to Messina.
Can’t remember, but I think 1633.

This one was taken in the last services before crossing into East Germany at
Rudolphstein / Hirschberg complete with a Russian SK owned by Sovtransavto
(AKA Gorbachev Trucking :laughing: ) parked next to me.
“X” reg 1628

This one was taken in Austria on the Brennerautobahn (Northbound.)

This one was taken in Switzerland.
Who said the trailer has to be closed and sealed :question: PAH :exclamation: :laughing:
“C” or “D” reg 1633.

:smiley: Hope you enjoy the pics— I’ll post up some more when I get chance. :smiley:

:laughing: Cranleigh Freight eh?? :open_mouth: Hmmm… Let’s see what comes when their guys see the Barco pics. :wink:

:smiley: OK, quiz time. (2 marks available.) This might be too easy. :wink:

Q1. What do the initials “SK” stand for :question:

The “half cab” shown on bestbooties pics was often found on Merc rigids designated with a “B.”
(I used to do Northern France and BeNeLux with one of those “half cabbed” rigids. :smiling_imp: )

Q2. What does the “B” designation on those Merc rigids stand for :question: