SK Merc V8's

id say that, heres another one of there eurocabs :smiley:

nice one

them things could boogey, i could,nt keep up with young tom, and we used to move on a bit.

mark

This ones still running about in luxemburg cant belive how small it looks next to the daf

Good find, The small wheels and windbreaker don’t help.

Here is my mercedes 1625 as seen previously.

More pics of my mercedes1625

And cheers to Big Bob Donaldson at Forrestfield great merc mechanic and enthusiast she runs like a dream.

That is a class looking classic :sunglasses:

Cheers m8 one truck definitely worth saving as it has a bit of history being the first brand new mercedes richard lawson group purchased. I hope to show it at some local shows.

caldercruix123:
Cheers m8 one truck definitely worth saving as it has a bit of history being the first brand new mercedes richard lawson group purchased. I hope to show it at some local shows.

looks mint you all done a great job … i kept on at my dad to take me on as a driver some years ago now to drive a 6x2 2028 that he had as the driver never looked after it i did washed n polished it and done by the time i started working for him he had sold it n i ended up with a fl10

Here is the plaque to go with kts 214x revealing its history.

Here’s one I had at Exell on the Sainsbury’s contract out Brinsworth, Rotherham about 1992.

@caldercruix123 Your Richard Lawson unit looks brilliant but I’m puzzled by the interior colours never seen them in grey before ? I drove 2 earlier model’s 1628 & 1617, T & V reg and both had the two tone light brown colour on the doors seats and bunks. Just curious that’s all, was it that kind of interior originally ?

Thanks & Regards
Dave Penn;

P6270089.JPG

I dont know about the interior colours Dave ,thats the way it was when i got it.It was totally refurbed in 1996 and i can see
the seats have been recovered.All the work was done in house at Kirriemuir with Western Commercials also doing some work on the truck.Maybe someone out there can enlighten us as to the upholstery colours.I would be grateful if anyone out there could put me in touch with someone who could possibly supply me with the original brown upholstery and curtain materials.

caldercruix123:
I dont know about the interior colours Dave ,thats the way it was when i got it.It was totally refurbed in 1996 and i can see
the seats have been recovered.All the work was done in house at Kirriemuir with Western Commercials also doing some work on the truck.Maybe someone out there can enlighten us as to the upholstery colours.

Looking at the door cards i reckon the interior was originally brown.

robthedog:

caldercruix123:
the seats have been recovered.All the work was done in house at Kirriemuir with Western Commercials also doing some work on the truck.Maybe someone out there can enlighten us as to the upholstery colours.

Hi robthedog,

I tend to agree with you about the brown interior.

Here’s the 1628 “X” reg SK (VKR 13 X) I was driving in 1984, complete with brown interior:

The truck parked next to me is a Russian registered SK, also complete with brown interior, but I’ve no idea of its year of registration. IIRC, I took this pic in October/November 1984 at Rudolphstein just before crossing into the former East Germany (DDR.)

IIRC ( = from a fading memory :blush: ) the SK’s interior got a bit of a (much needed!!) makeover around 1982 when the interior got a furry roof lining, better upholstery and two interior lights. Again IIRC, at the same time, the handbrake was moved to the extreme right of the dashboard as in the pic of KTS 214 X.

I’ve not seen an SK that had a grey interior, and I’ve driven plenty of them with Reg numbers spread across the years from 1978 to 1988.

Still, IMHO it doesn’t detract from a very good and spot-on restoration. :smiley:

dieseldave:

robthedog:

caldercruix123:

Hi robthedog,

I tend to agree with you about the brown interior.

Here’s the 1628 “X” reg SK (VKR 13 X) I was driving in 1984, complete with brown interior:

The truck parked next to me is a Russian registered SK, also complete with brown interior, but I’ve no idea of its year of registration. IIRC, I took this pic in October/November 1984 at Rudolphstein just before crossing into the former East Germany (DDR.)

IIRC ( = from a fading memory :blush: ) the SK’s interior got a bit of a (much needed!!) makeover around 1982 when the interior got a furry roof lining, better upholstery and two interior lights. Again IIRC, at the same time, the handbrake was moved to the extreme right of the dashboard as in the pic of KTS 214 X.

I’ve not seen an SK that had a grey interior, and I’ve driven plenty of them with Reg numbers spread across the years from 1978 to 1988.

Still, IMHO it doesn’t detract from a very good and spot-on restoration. :smiley:

I agree with you i think all the old ones were brown
When i got a facelift model with the fibreglass wings and bumper that had a grey interior more pleasing on the eye but harder to keep clean that was about 1990 i think.
As you say she is a fine looking truck
Rob

I take it then that in 1996 when the truck was fully refurbed by Westen Commercials they put that interior in it.The bunk seems to be original though which makes me believe the seats could be the original colour.

I just found these 2 old photos.

Hub Reduction:
I just found these 2 old photos.

Did you run up to the Welsh Borders with those Mercs Hub Reduction ?
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave,Those Mercs were up there all the time in the old days,Nash Rocks, Dolyhir,Strinds & Gore.