Single wiper?

Were my eyes deceiving me, or did I see a Scania unit with a single, centrally mounted windscreen wiper yesterday?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
Were my eyes deceiving me, or did I see a Scania unit with a single, centrally mounted windscreen wiper yesterday?

It would need to be fast to clear both sides in heavy rain

Wheel Nut:

Roymondo:

My thoughts at the time exactly. I couldn’t see any way it would reach anywhere near the top corners of the screen. Have to assume my eyes were indeed deceiving me.

Roymondo:

Wheel Nut:

Roymondo:

My thoughts at the time exactly. I couldn’t see any way it would reach anywhere near the top corners of the screen. Have to assume my eyes were indeed deceiving me.

110 with two wipers missing?.
Some Mercedes cars has single wipers in the 90(?)s .
It had a cam mechanism so was pushed up and out at extremes, but was shortened at TDC to miss top of screen. I’ve no idea why or if it was a useful idea?

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Wheel Nut:

Roymondo:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Franglais:

IIRC, a Citroen C15D van also had a single wiper. (van rouge and van blanc… mid 80s?)

These were clever until they wore out and needed replacing.

Mercedes Monoblade.jpg

Wheel Nut:

Lever the mechanism’s rubber cover back gently and squirt some grease in and they lasted forever, never had any issue with the several Mercs we had with that wiper system…however the rest of the car :unamused:

For lorries i much preferred the three wiper systems, left a considerably less area unswept compared to the poor two wiper jobbies.

Wheel Nut:

A joy to…

Behold. I don’t think I’ve ever found another gadget on a car that intruiged me so much.

I used to look forward to rainy days just watch the thing in action.

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Wheel Nut:

Roymondo:

It had a cam mechanism so was pushed up and out at extremes, but was shortened at TDC to miss top of screen. I’ve no idea why or if it was a useful idea?

I had an Merc E230 estate with a single wiper. It worked very well

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I remeber on way to moscow having to get the second man and hold him by the legs as he used a scraper to get the snow and ice off the windscreen.

One time his shoe came ofas i was holding him but luckily he managed to hang on till stopped carrering all over the place as i slammed the brakes on ( no abs in those days)

He clambered back in uninjured and we sat having a flask of tea that we got from an old couple who were living in eutopia only 3 klicks back.

Safe to say we managed all the 3500 miles there load safe. Yous guys dont know how easy youve got it nowadays.

1 wiper. Only one wiper on here.

And thats to wipe his mouth. ■■■■ talking [zb] of a ■■■■ ■■■■■■■ born obviously.

dieseldave:

Franglais:

IIRC, a Citroen C15D van also had a single wiper. (van rouge and van blanc… mid 80s?)

There have been a few cars over the years with single wipers. Fiat Panda, Citroen BX, Citroen C1/Pug 107/Toyota Aygo (had a C1 myself for a few years).

Anyroad, been thinking about what I saw yesterday and have decided that the driver must have switched off the ignition while the wipers were running, leaving them more or less vertical. The nearside wiper has its pivot near the centre of the screen and that’s what I saw. I can only assume the offside wiper was close enough to the A-pillar to be difficult to see as I drove past it (truck was on a loading bay).

One wiper?
I remember the days when you weren’t classed as a proper trucker, unless your motor had THREE wipers. :smiley:

Lol robroy , I was lucky to have one at times tight buggers I worked for, stop and get a spud wipe on window that will go till you get back up the road lol .

The s/daughters car has a 24’’ blade and a little 10’’ blade, its always the big one that fails, the dearest, the heaviest, the most expensive.

Remember the Scania Steps