Should i do my car and trailer training before i do class 1?

Or should i just go straight for my class 1 licence?

Currently have my class 2 and want to get class 1, is it worth my while doing my b+e to get used to how to reverse with a trailer?

Would maybe give me an advantage before doing class 1 or just go straight into class 1?

Absolutely no advantage whatsoever, in my humble opinion [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:

Why is that mate?

Just thought the reversing would be a lot easier to get my head around

I have never used a trailer before

I can see why you might think it’s a good idea. But a good trainer will have no difficulty taking you from C to CE.

You might want to check out the Darren Shaw Offer at the top of the threads.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

adammur:

stuwozere1:

Why is that mate?

Just thought the reversing would be a lot easier to get my head around

I have never used a trailer before

Firstly it’s only my opinion, but I feel that manoeuvring a 13m trailer that’s highly visible and less erratic is totally different to reversing a 2m trailer that is far far more reactionary to your movement of the steering wheel. Good luck with your Class 1 [emoji106]

Agree, you’d be wasting your time and money doing the car one.

Artic trailers are very different beasts to the horse box on the back of a car as they react a lot slower so you have to think further ahead. Bit like driving a supertanker (truck) vs a speedboat (car).

Reversing in the test is more about remembering when to turn and a ballet of manoeuvres (frilly skirt optional) which they’ll teach you.

Reversing in the real world is totally different but you’ll learn that too while earning money, especially as it depends on trailer and truck combos of which there are loads of combinations. Bit like a horsebox is different to a caravan to a tiny Halfords trailer (nightmare).

Oh and no one upon no one is good at it from day 1 whatever they tell you. :smiley:

If you want to practice using a car and trailer then you can do that on your own using your B licence with the right set up

Example
Car with GVW 2100 + Trailer plated MAM 1400

ROG:
If you want to practice using a car and trailer then you can do that on your own using your B licence with the right set up

Example

Newer licences won’t allow that, it’s a separate test

Combination weight not exceeding 3500 is fine. After that, you need to take test for BE. But CE will also cover it of course.

I suggest you book an assessment drive with one or two trainers making it clear you want to try the reverse. It will be a mess cos you haven’t been taught how to do it. But a good trainer will be able to mitigate that and demonstrate that it is in your sights.

Second week on the job and I can confirm that reversing a car and trailer is nothing like a artic and trailer :smiley:

It’s generally accepted that the bigger the trailer, the easier it is to reverse. I would re-phrase that and say that the bigger the trailer, the better view of it you’ve got, that makes it easier. Also, the bigger trailer will react much slower to steering input. Which is great but you still have to steer it and make it go the right way!

stuwozere1:

ROG:

Example

Why?
Although I like the idea of a separate test, it might sort the useless caravan brigade out.

A trailer on a ball hitch is a very different animal to a semi trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:

ROG:

Example

Not correct legally - see this thread especially post number 3000 = forums.horseandhound.co.uk/thre … ic.490195/

I rescind my previous statement [emoji4]
I was always told that to tow a trailer an extra test was needed. Consider me educated [emoji106]

Don’t waste your money mate. The tests are very similar but it’s pointless trying to compare a car and trailer with a class one. I did the B+E a few years ago and wish I had just done my lgv license straight away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk