Reverse

Currently doing my class 1 and I’m really struggling on the reversing I’ve never reversed with any sort of trailer. My test is on Monday. My instructor has no patients at all . anybody have any advise cheers

akaweetommy:
Currently doing my class 1 and I’m really struggling on the reversing I’ve never reversed with any sort of trailer. My test is on Monday. My instructor has no patients at all . anybody have any advise cheers

I don’t think he’s a very good doctor! :open_mouth:

But seriously, first off, STOP stressing about it, as that will make things worse…
You can go as slow as you like in the reverse, or at least slow enough to think and if you go the wrong way, you have time to reverse what you are doing. Most importantly, from your initial starting position, try to remember which way to turn the wheel, and after that it’s basically do the opposite on the next part of the maneuver! :smiley:
Be patient, stick your head out the window to ensure you don’t cross the line as you start off (skirt with it and also check other mirror) and once you have your trailer angled enough, start to think about taking some off, but don’t rush and give the cone on the drivers side time to reveal itself to you. Then AS YOU ARE GOING DEAD SLOW, start to think about steering the rear axle around that cone in an ark with a foot to two’s radius. Go as far as you dare, even if you think it’s going ■■■■, and then don’t be a @@@@, take a long shunt to straighten it all up in line with the target box. If you can’t get it in from there, I can’t help you! :smiley:

Best of luck…

The topic keeps coming up on the “newbies forum”, but not sure if this thread will help at all:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135342&p=2125223&hilit=reversing#p2125168

From other things I’ve seen mentioned, a lot of comes down to not overturning the wheel which is where people tend to go wrong, especially in the real world. Been watching arctics reversing while working at the Boots factory (only on my dinner break, honest) and it’s surprising how little they seem to turn compared to how much the trailer moves, especially for the initial “kick” to get the trailer moving.

Really not sure the instructor sounds that great which is unfortunately a common complaint on here. You might actually find it clicks tomorrow which I assume is the test day, so as much as it’s possible just work on the basis that you’ve learned a lot and now it’s time to show the examiner what you’ve learned.

Hope it all comes out and works for you, but even if not, you’ve learned all that stuff so in that case I’d change company and see if someone decent can teach you what you’re missing. Go enjoy yourself and think of it as a drive in the countryside…except if there’s quite a lot of houses. :slight_smile:

akaweetommy:

How about . . this is not the job for me,possible change in direction of employment.
Man up and get on with it.
Good luck on Monday ■■

Thanks for the replys. Yea sometimes it goes good then when the instructor goes off on one then it goes ■■■■ up

Your instructor sounds like a ■■■!
Take your time and it will be fine.
Good luck on Monday.

Not what you want to hear and probably too late now anyway but if you’re really struggling with the reverse should you actually be going for your test?

The-Snowman:
Not what you want to hear and probably too late now anyway but if you’re really struggling with the reverse should you actually be going for your test?

Me personally I don’t think I should Purely based on the reversing. My driving is 100%just gonna have to wing it and see how I get on

Unlike the actual road driving part of the test, you will not be penalised for slow progress on the reverse.

Take it really slowly and you will give yourself the best chance of catching the trailer if you put on too much lock, and don’t forget that you can take a shunt forward if it gets a bit out of hand. Use it!!

Practice on Grand Theft Auto V. :sunglasses:

akaweetommy:

Either you learn it quick or never,as we say

Left to bend, right to mend! (when reversing drivers side ie: not blind side). Starting position is important.

Immigrant:

akaweetommy:

Like writing English? You really are a ■■■■ arn’t you?

the nodding donkey:

Immigrant:

akaweetommy:

Like writing English? You really are a [zb] arn’t you?

Haha cheers

akaweetommy:

I wrote the order of wheel turning on a bit of paper (can’t remember it now unfortunately) and practised by walking backwards in my living room on a night. Make sure there’s no dogs/cats/kids in the way first though. Bit like the real thing really.

I was there 20 years ago and wondered what am I paying this useless ■■■ for?Try another instructor or driving school.

akaweetommy:

What area are you in?

to be honest my instructor was a knob too, my old man set the reverse up at the docks years ago and basically it went something like half a turn - full turn - start taking lock off slowly - etc etc etc (can tfully recall it sorry) but it worked and I ended up almost robotic with the instant half a turn etc. it may be better to try and think like that? I think it went from set cones but I don’t even know if it is the same reverse now!

best thing if it isn’t is as others have said go slow take your time if it goes wrong put it down to experience and change schools.

If you can you can…If can’t you can’t…

Stick at it it will come we have all been there :stuck_out_tongue: