Reverse

Has your instructor not been practising your reversing?
He should be concentrating on your weak points prior to test.

If you are genuinely going into this with no clue with only blagging it for hope, IMO cancel your test and go with another school.

Class 2 instructor I had was a shouter. It doesn’t have any place in helping a new driver that kind of approach.

akaweetommy:
Currently doing my class 1 and I’m really struggling on the reversing I’ve never reversed with any sort of trailer. My test is on Monday. My instructor has no patients at all . anybody have any advise cheers

Ey up chap.
Did you pass then or ?

The gas man:

akaweetommy:
Currently doing my class 1 and I’m really struggling on the reversing I’ve never reversed with any sort of trailer. My test is on Monday. My instructor has no patients at all . anybody have any advise cheers

Ey up chap.
Did you pass then or ?

Done the reversing spot on,went straight in. I failed however on the last 10 minutes of my test. I couldn’t get the lorry into 4th gear,because of that I slowed down traffic behind me. So I got a serious for it… thanks for all the comments and advice…[THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

Mark500:
Left to bend, right to mend! (when reversing drivers side ie: not blind side). Starting position is important.

Never heard that before, I like it.

I agree starting position is all important, I have seen so many people making a complete dogs dinner out of a reverse, but they never give themselves a chance from the position they started, and when it does start going a bit pair shaped, have the confidence to pull along way forward and start again, once you start shunting a few yards back and forward it just goes from bad to worse.

I was lucky in that I could go and play with tractors (agric) and trailers on a farm, just spend hour upon hour learning myself, trying different things, then I found in a lorry it was far harder as you have to use your mirrors more. but the principles were just the same in naturally knowing which way to turn the steering. (lorries used to have rear nearside windows and they could be really useful on a blind-side)

akaweetommy:

The gas man:

akaweetommy:

Ey up chap.
Did you pass then or ?

Done the reversing spot on,went straight in. I failed however on the last 10 minutes of my test. I couldn’t get the lorry into 4th gear,because of that I slowed down traffic behind me. So I got a serious for it… thanks for all the comments and advice…[THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

Unlucky mate…I’d suggest you now find a school with auto trucks to rebook with. Your instructor sounds like a ■■■, and taking your test in an auto will take any gear woes out of the equation :wink:

Good luck for the next one :sunglasses:

akaweetommy:

Bad luck mate, will you get another shot at it anytime soon ? Why wouldn’t it go into 4th ? was it even your fault, What sort of box was it.
I learnt in a twinsplit with long tandem trailer, then done the test with a wierd short single axle trailer and the gearbox was maybe a 4 or 5 speed sync box out of a car or something, horrible leyland thing that was void of suspension.

Bluey Circles:

akaweetommy:

Bad luck mate, will you get another shot at it anytime soon ? Why wouldn’t it go into 4th ? was it even your fault, What sort of box was it.
I learnt in a twinsplit with long tandem trailer, then done the test with a wierd short single axle trailer and the gearbox was maybe a 4 or 5 speed sync box out of a car or something, horrible leyland thing that was void of suspension.

It was an old lorry we where learning in. It had been sticking all week not making excuses of course lol. Other than that I had a clean sheet…

fan belts snapped on my first test so it was abandoned these things happen don’t worry you know what to expect next time.

akaweetommy:
It was an old lorry we where learning in. It had been sticking all week not making excuses of course lol. Other than that I had a clean sheet…

Seems very harsh to fail you on a mechanical issue, unless, and be honest here, did you lose the plot and start shouting at swearing at the gear lever, LOL … its the type of thing I do…

Since the company training you gave you a dodgy truck that caused you to fail, are they providing everything free of charge for your next test, or is it all an in-house thing with the company you are working for.

The lorry was old but other than the gears sticking it was in perfect working condition. I failed because when I couldn’t get it into gear I slowed traffic down from behind me

akaweetommy:
I failed because when I couldn’t get it into gear I slowed traffic down from behind me

You’re a lorry driver, that’s what we do! :wink:

the maoster:

akaweetommy:
I failed because when I couldn’t get it into gear I slowed traffic down from behind me

Lol your right there. Back out in the rigids it is

Sounds like the advice already given has helped already but for others reading this for advice in the future…I got told to remember the old Clint Eastwood film with the monkey. “Right turn Clyde” for the start of the reverse. I was told in test conditions its easy to forget if you’re flustered. Remember the first bit and the rest should follow on!!

the maoster:

akaweetommy:

You’ve been interpreted as harsh/misunderstood mate…
I’ve recently spent a few hours with an Eaton Twin Spitter, I wouldn’t have a prayer of passing! :laughing:

I’ve recently spent a few hours with an Eaton Twin Spitter, I wouldn’t have a prayer of passing! :laughing:
[/quote]
So you have finally become a “real driver” …an Eaton twin split .
Do you like it now ?

3 wheeler:
Do you like it now ?

Errr… Not really sure! :smiley:
Had to educate myself through trial and error. I knew it was non synchro, so sussed that I needed to change gears matching the revs.
Or I think that’s what you do, as that stopped the screaching noise when using the clutch to engage gears! :grimacing:

Don’t worry Evil I managed to drive an empty low loader for Gloucester into the Forest of Dean, collect a dustbin lorry and return to Gloucester. I still didn’t really know what I was up to with the gearbox pulling back into the yard.

I think people following me just assumed I was travelling slow due to the weight of the dustcart on board but that was just me screwing up gear changes.

Ta pal - I’ve one rule with gearboxes, give it a go and learn! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

3 wheeler:
Do you like it now ?

Errr… Not really sure! :smiley:
Had to educate myself through trial and error. I knew it was non synchro, so sussed that I needed to change gears matching the revs.
Or I think that’s what you do, as that stopped the screaching noise when using the clutch to engage gears! :grimacing:

Clutch ? you only need the clutch to start and stop, once moving you can go from 1 to 12 with only three big changes, beautiful box. better than any auto box (mind you I haven’t driven many autos)