Shipping out of and into Poole

geoff luther:

Wasn’t it one of Stuart Taylor’s who debarqued in LeHavre and wrapped the unit around a support for the passenger walkway? Driver was breathylised but was ok. Bizarre. Not a hundred feet before wrecking it!
Passengers used a bus from terminal into boat for ages afterwards.

Franglais:

geoff luther:

Wasn’t it one of Stuart Taylor’s who debarqued in LeHavre and wrapped the unit around a support for the passenger walkway? Driver was breathylised but was ok. Bizarre. Not a hundred feet before wrecking it!
Passengers used a bus from terminal into boat for ages afterwards.

Hi Franglais how long ago did this happen as I haven’t heard this before but I am sure that someone on hear will confirm it.Regards Geoff

Must have been late 199?
P & O had the ex North Sea boats on the run as it wasn’t Quai we Southampton but the present terminal.
The walkway from the passenger terminal to the boat is there now.
One of Stuart Taylor’s (?) drove off the boat up the linkspan and on the right hand curve, planted a support plumb in the middle of the cab!
It stayed there for a couple days at least, and foot passengers were transferred the 50 metres from terminal into the ferry by bus for ages. Bus running a year or more I think. I wasn’t there when it happened but saw the thing myself.
I asked about it at the time, and was told the driver wasn’t drunk or ill, but I then didn’t ask again…
I hope someone else does remember it, or it’ll be yet another sign of my mind going walkabout!

Geoff remember MacAndrews came through alot.Did alot of car spares for Vauxhall.

poole mcandrews.PNG

DEANB:
Geoff remember MacAndrews came through alot.Did alot of car spares for Vauxhall.

Yes Dean I remember them,I think Keith Lovell worked for them at one time. Thanks for the pic mate.

A couple shots of the Purbeck in Cherbourg. I find it odd that there are alot more pics of the Coutances than the Purbeck on the net for
some strange reason.

DEANB:
A couple shots of the Purbeck in Cherbourg. I find it odd that there are alot more pics of the Coutances than the Purbeck on the net for
some strange reason.

Hi Dean have no answer as to why there are more pics of the Coutances, I always thought the Purbeck was the better of the two. The last pic I saw of them was of them out in South America somewhere and they looked on their last legs in a sorry state. Thanks for the pics anyway. Cheers Geoff

For old time’s sake I tried to find information about the old m.v. Dorset but it seems to have been decommissioned or lost.

I may have put this picture on here before…I cant remember. :unamused:
Brittany Ferries “Val De Loire” and “Bretagne” in Poole Harbour.
As far as I know, neither of these two vessels were regular visitors
to Poole. Click on picture for better image. NMP.
Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Ray Smyth.

Hello Ray, Nice pic chap but its not Poole Harbour ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

Heres an old shot before they reclaimed more of the sea. The storage tanks are Texaco’s old yard.
Power station in the background,long gone.

poole docks.jpg

Ray, That pic was taken at Plymouth. :wink:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
I went to Santander from Plymouth on The Val De Loire,back in 1994.Cant ever recall seeing her in Poole though…
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
I went to Santander from Plymouth on The Val De Loire,back in 1994.Cant ever recall seeing her in Poole though…
Regards Andrew.

The pic is definately Plymouth Andrew i had a look on google maps as i knew it was not Poole. I honestly dont know which
ferries did sometimes go to Poole when the Coutances,Pubeck or Barfleur were in dry dock. I dont think the Normandie or
Mont St Michel would be able to navigate Poole harbour due to it being so shallow. Its only about 18 feet in some places !
The Val de Loire and Bretagne may have been ok as they were smaller ?

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:
Ray Smyth.

Hello Ray, Nice pic chap but its not Poole Harbour ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

Heres an old shot before they reclaimed more of the sea. The storage tanks are Texaco’s old yard.
Power station in the background,long gone.

Hi Dean, Thank you for correcting my comments, The only reason I thought it was Poole is because
I thought it looked like Brownsea Island in the background. As I mentioned above, these two ships
were not usually on the Poole to Cherbourg route. Regards, Ray.

Before and after the land was reclaimed for the ferry opertions.

Click on pics for larger view. NMP.

poole docks.jpg

Years later even more land was reclaimed to make the Ferry terminal larger.

Truckline advert.

Gidders:
For old time’s sake I tried to find information about the old m.v. Dorset but it seems to have been decommissioned or lost.

Hi Gidders I am sorry but I haven’t heard what happened to the Dorset. I believe after she left Poole she was working up around the islands off Scotland, but that was many years ago I would imagine she has been scrapped. Maybe Dean will come across her in one of his many magazines we will just have to hope he can. All the best Geoff

DEANB:

pete 359:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
Regards Andrew.

The pic is definately Plymouth Andrew i had a look on google maps as i knew it was not Poole. I honestly dont know which
ferries did sometimes go to Poole when the Coutances,Pubeck or Barfleur were in dry dock. I dont think the Normandie or
Mont St Michel would be able to navigate Poole harbour due to it being so shallow. Its only about 18 feet in some places !
The Val de Loire and Bretagne may have been ok as they were smaller ?

Hi all. It was about 1990/91 IIRC Plymouth/Roscoff was the route for the Bretagne, especially in the summer/holiday season.

I also remember the Cotentin and the Cornouailles.Were they still in use in the 90s?