Shipping out of and into Poole

hotel magnum:
the last one I went out of Poole in. missed the magnums though, rubbish for getting out of on the ferries, and I fell out of the door on numerous occasions as they forgot the walkway and ladder,

Hi Hotel Magnum I know what you mean about struggling to get out of the cab on Truckline. The other problem sometimes was squeezing past the line of trucks to get to the stairway up to the cabins and bar/restaurant. Nothing worse than Shipping out on a Sunday and by the time you get upstairs one set of clothes are ruined by grease from either the ship or a truck that you squeezed by. I still have great memories though of many trips on Truckline.Regards Geoff

yes Geoff I was always telling the young lads not to go between the trucks if the engine was running as It was not unknown for one to lurch forward as it was still in gear, see you Saturday at porkers with the rest of the old ■■■■■.

hotel magnum:
yes Geoff I was always telling the young lads not to go between the trucks if the engine was running as It was not unknown for one to lurch forward as it was still in gear, see you Saturday at porkers with the rest of the old ■■■■■.

I look forward to meeting you Saturday Hotel Magnum.I am sure that there will a lot of remeniicing and memories from years ago.CheersGeoff

my first lorry 1957, this one did not make the ferry though, and obviously it was my parents that set me on the path of driving for a living,

hotel magnum:
my first lorry 1957, this one did not make the ferry though, and obviously it was my parents that set me on the path of driving for a living,

Hi Alan so you are blaming your parents for starting your vocation in life. But do you regret it.I doubt it as you have been doing it for some time now,and no doubt you have met some characters along the way as we all have doing this job. We all had a great lunch at the Portuguese restaurant as usual, and now I know your identity,I hope that you can add some more pics and info while shipping through Poole and Cherbourg. The next lunch is same venue on 29/9/18 see you there hopefully. Cheers Geoff

I did a job to Spain in 1995, and sailed out and back on Val De Loire, Plymouth-Santander-Plymouth.
In 1998, I did a job to France, sailed from Poole on Barfleur to Cherbourg, to the first drop at Carentan,
then on to Morlaix, and back home on Val De Loire, Roscoff to Plymouth. Did Val De Loire ever sail in
and out of Poole ■■. Regards, Ray.

Val De Loire.jpg

Ray Smyth:
I did a job to Spain in 1995, and sailed out and back on Val De Loire, Plymouth-Santander-Plymouth.
In 1998, I did a job to France, sailed from Poole on Barfleur to Cherbourg, to the first drop at Carentan,
then on to Morlaix, and back home on Val De Loire, Roscoff to Plymouth. Did Val De Loire ever sail in
and out of Poole ■■. Regards, Ray.

Hi Ray that’s a great pic, I would think it’s possible that she shipped in and out of Poole at sometime but I could not say for sure.I am sure that someone will tell us.Regards Geoff

Val de Loire might have come into Poole when Barfleur was in for her annual refit, but it was generally Quiberon or Amorique that covered.

1 a very lonely trip Cherbourg to poole 2008, 2 the new ADR skelly and container,3 the cure for moaning about black truck and uniform in the heat of Italy, off to the cold of Norway and sweden.

Is that the Magnum that used to be parked in Ringwood Market car park?, it didn’t move often.

probably not as just after I moved onto an MAN it was involved in a rear end shunt which pushed it into the rear of another truck on the m4 and when it returned it was silver, although it did park in parkstone either behind Ryvita or broom road when away from Bristol. (some times along the Sandford straight when I took it home)

Maybe meet you tomorrow at the Porkers, Edit, did see you there but I was sat at the other end of the table.

kerbut i did not read your last post until i got home from porkers so i did not know you would be there and had to ask phil grant and Geoff who was kerbut, Geoff said and sent your photo over i think phil was asleep as he had put a bit of wine away whilst we were there and we did not leave until nearly five o’clock,

I left at 2 as the car park ticket was running out, got as far as County Gates and realised I had not paid and had to come back. Funnily enough, I asked Geoff who is Hotel Magnum, might catch up with you on the 13th.

kerbut:
I left at 2 as the car park ticket was running out, got as far as County Gates and realised I had not paid and had to come back. Funnily enough, I asked Geoff who is Hotel Magnum, might catch up with you on the 13th.

Nigel your a one off most English drivers would have kept going and got away with it. But fair play to you as the Funchal give us good times and memories. Well done mate.

Yes, I do Geoff, and Murphy International weren’t they the ones who reputedly got the ginger Gendarme between their trailers on the Paris ring road, cant spell periferique ?!!

Atkins were regulars through Poole and had a office’s at Poole and Cherbourg. Swains and Axminster Transport
also had office in Cherbourg for a while as well.

Clipping from 1976.

atkins truck 76.PNG

atkins mercedes.jpg

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:
Atkins were regulars through Poole and had a office’s at Poole and Cherbourg. Swains and Axminster Transport
also had office in Cherbourg for a while as well.

Clipping from 1976.

Click on pages twice to read.

Those were the days Dean when Poole was going strong.I am afraid it is a bit different these days,I think there is only a couple of local hauliers that go over now. I still have good memories of shipping from Poole.