Shipping out of and into Poole

IMG_0746.JPG

geoff luther:

That high cabbed Big-J got about a bit! Robert

geoff luther:

Hi, God that truck brings back some memories, is Barry still about ■■? Harvey

geoff luther:

Love the sleeper on the GUY :smiley: , the line up had Scania/Mercedes/Berliet/Volvo etc but the old GUY has the biggest sleeper of the lot :sunglasses: What it a Owner-drivers? Regards Chris

When I first went to Poole to ship out the offices were here IIRC.

Poole dock.jpg

I think you are right Gazzer , there was also a Portakabin cafe there and also RH&D had an office there also.

gazzer:
When I first went to Poole to ship out the offices were here IIRC.

The offices are behind the parked trucks,double stacked. In the corner was the Cafe with Channel Ports
above them.The offices stretched from the barrier as you entered the docks right down to the cafe in
the corner.

geoff luther:

Hi Geoff,
Is Barry still about ■■? remember this truck well, he used to work with Reg Bugler, Harvey

f7ee2934a4d17b289ca417a30666475e.jpg
Not much running in her now. Was she saved?

coomsey:
Not much running in her now. Was she saved?

Hello “coomsey” That was a genuine built heavy haulage unit by Volvo,but it was left in the yard
for years to slowly rot away. I think Weaver’s had 2 of them. It was sold a year or two ago on ebay.
As you can see by the pic it was totally rotten,so i dont know if its being restored or was broken.

Alot of drivers which have used Poole will have gone to Italy via Mont Blanc over the years.

Here’s some pics liberated from a french forum ! :laughing:

mont blancb.jpg

DEANB, the Blanc tunnel was planned to be a dual road so two in and two out but locals objected for noise and pollution.
Hence now single lane in and out.
I use the cafe and restaurant in the main building.
Photos there of when it was built with facts and figures .
You can park over night .

Remember being parked up half way up them stilts one night because of bad weather and heavy snow, the cops said we will wake you when its clear and they did but quite scary up there wen there is a blizzard blowing and every one used to say if you fell off that there was the steel works right under and you would be smelted in the furnace, MH moment right there embedded in the mind Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Remember being parked up half way up them stilts one night because of bad weather and heavy snow, the cops said we will wake you when its clear and they did but quite scary up there wen there is a blizzard blowing and every one used to say if you fell off that there was the steel works right under and you would be smelted in the furnace, MH moment right there embedded in the mind Buzzer.

Now that is what you call a “high road” Buzzer and when you was stranded overnight you would have to remember where you was if you got out for a ■■■■ like ! Ooooooooo give me the colley wobbles just looking over the side ! Cheers Dennis.

I remember one winter entering the tunnel on the Italian side in glorious sunshine and emerging in France amid a raging blizzard! Robert

Anybody who looked in on the Fridged Freight site will have seen that the “prestigious” motors were 6 wheeler Volvo F88 artics. Well they were near useless on the Blanc in winter - the Mandators happily romped up that mountain, but going up or down in a 3 axle was a bum clensher! Jim.