Shipping out of and into Poole

hotel magnum:
a sterling European trailer from Poole, but do you know who’s unit? and who drove it?

Hi hotel magnum thanks for the pic of Stewarts rig.I was speaking to him the other day he said that when he goes to the Portugese restraunt in Bournemouth he wishes he still had his truck. He has retired now and misses the old life as most of us do.All the best for the New Year regards Geoff.

geoff luther:

robert1952:
:smiley: Happy New Year Geoff! Does this picture of Phil Horridge’s ERF ‘European’ ring any bells with you? It was clearly taken late in its life with all the bells and whistles on. It is seen here no longer in Horridge livery, but in white with a red waist band. Was it operated by an owner driver perhaps, after Phil was done with it? Cheers, Robert

Hi Robert I had a word with Bob Jarrett last night and he seems to think that pic was taken before Phill Horridge owned KRH. He says that it has the original grill and that he remembers Andrew Filsal making a new one for it after someone reversed into it in the yard. I hope you have great new year and look forward to more posts from you this year. All the best Geoff

Thanks for that, Geoff! I’ll have to eat humble pie now, as DEANB suggested it might pre-date the Horridge livery. Did Phil own it in those original colours, then? Cheers, Robert

robert1952:

geoff luther:

robert1952:
:smiley: Happy New Year Geoff! Does this picture of Phil Horridge’s ERF ‘European’ ring any bells with you? It was clearly taken late in its life with all the bells and whistles on. It is seen here no longer in Horridge livery, but in white with a red waist band. Was it operated by an owner driver perhaps, after Phil was done with it? Cheers, Robert

Hi Robert I had a word with Bob Jarrett last night and he seems to think that pic was taken before Phill Horridge owned KRH. He says that it has the original grill and that he remembers Andrew Filsal making a new one for it after someone reversed into it in the yard. I hope you have great new year and look forward to more posts from you this year. All the best Geoff

Thanks for that, Geoff! I’ll have to eat humble pie now, as DEANB suggested it might pre-date the Horridge livery. Did Phil own it in those original colours, then? Cheers, Robert

Hi Robert I now have it from the horses mouth that was how it looked when Phill bought it from Ted Croswell before he sprayed it in his own livery.I am sorry that you have to eat humble pie but it puts baby to bed.Cheers Geoff

Scan0039.jpg

geoff luther:

robert1952:

geoff luther:

robert1952:

Hi Robert I now have it from the horses mouth that was how it looked when Phill bought it from Ted Croswell before he sprayed it in his own livery.I am sorry that you have to eat humble pie but it puts baby to bed.Cheers Geoff

Brilliant! Thanks for that Geoff. You’re a star! Robert

Barfleur

Irureta,these shell fish boys still go through Poole and have done so for donkeys years.

I remember whenever i shipped via Poole i would always see at least 2/3 primor waiting in the lanes. Daf 95 super spaces from harris and white Iveco or Volvo’s from another company. Who remembers during the big French strike the transfer bus being driven into the dock ?. If my memory serves me right i think it was caen dock.

all of these went through poole until the max neq was dropped so far we had to use Harwich / cuxhavn, the last picture is of the last truck I had with these, after the magnums you would not believe how many times I fell out of the door, and what a nightmare trying to get out when parked like sardines on a ferry, magnums the good old days

casselbordino 2.jpg

IMG_7223.jpg

new trailer old goucesrer rd.JPG

poole.jpg

A few pics.

Ian Rycroft.

Changed a bit now,Sunseeker pretty much the whole way down New Quay road now.

DEANB:
A few pics.

Ian Rycroft.

Changed a bit now,Sunseeker pretty much the whole way down New Quay road now.

Hi Dean thanks for all the pics you manage to find and post them on here for me.Thats a great one with Ian Rycroft in it that brings back the memories of shipping Sunday nights as Ian would go round and ask drivers where the were going to either friendly or just nosey,happy days though cheers mate.

Heres a few more Geoff.

Remember the stickers !

poole77.jpg

I bet you remember these carnet’s.

TFE ,one on every boat it seemed like.

poole69.jpg

GBE !

poole78.jpg

DEANB:
Heres a few more Geoff.

Remember the stickers !

I bet you remember these carnet’s.

TFE ,one on every boat it seemed like.

GBE !

Thanks once again Dean for the pics. I sure do remember the Carnets and the routes that we had to take back in the day.We were supposed to be able to pass through borders unhindered,but that was not always the case as a lot of drivers could confirm this.They were still good old days though.Cheers mate

Do you remember that Nigel that used to ship out every Sunday who worked fro TFE ,Vannes Geoff , he lived near Exeter ,never used to sit with the English drivers only the French , when there were no other French drivers on the boat all the English drivers ignored him .

Uggh, GBE step fame either 1021,1022,or1023 ,rear steer step frame ,terrible things ,the rear axle lock pins sheared off and you could,nt reverse the things , the dockers couldn’t wait for the air to build up when taking them off the boat, so when turning round had to pick up a trailer with 6 tyre side walls ripped out.

kerbut:
Do you remember that Nigel that used to ship out every Sunday who worked fro TFE ,Vannes Geoff , he lived near Exeter ,never used to sit with the English drivers only the French , when there were no other French drivers on the boat all the English drivers ignored him .

Hi Nigel yes I remember Nigel as you say if there were French drivers on the ferry he thought he was French. He would only talk to you if no French on the boat. Having said that I have I have sat in Routiers with French drivers to escape some loud mouth English drivers who got louder the more vin rouge they drank. Would the 18/2 be ok for you and Hughie if so messenger me.

Yes fine by me , but see on another post (on FB ) that Sean and Alan are hoping for the following weekend as they are away on 18th , hope you are OK after your fall at beginning of the week.

geoff luther:

How is the dear old boy? He must be 80 or so now?

Seeing that old Transcon and " Merve the Swerve " takes me back! He was a regular on the Portugal run back then ( nearly 40 years ago :open_mouth: :open_mouth: )
Always a pleasure to see him, a good ole boy and a smiley outlook on life.

Give him my best wishes . Baldrick ( Stuart ) …

Nice pic of the Coutances or the Purbeck.