Shipping out of and into Poole

Hi Tone,

Yes that’s the Scania can’t remember his nickname
Regards
Richard

mappo:
Hi Ron, I never went on it, but didn’t that dock at Vigo. ■■?

No it docked at Viana do Castelo, Portugal.

R&G Freight Services - Ltd We opened our Poole office in 1976, with encoragement from Truckline Ferries, originally as Customs clearance agents, and later as hauliers as well, to Portugal France and Spain.

R&G

mv COUTANCE , so small it could roll on a wet lawn !

COUTANCESs.jpg

Had many a trip on the Coutance,I carried livestock,so truck was usually last on,So had pleasure of sleeping in my own bunk, not those awful cabins. She was out of service once so they put us on a even smaller boat. The exit door was very narrow & 2 trucks burst front tyres on ramp trying to get off her,Cant remember her Name.Cathrine or Christene or something similar.

:slight_smile:

richardggeary:
R&G Freight Services - Ltd We opened our Poole office in 1976, with encoragement from Truckline Ferries, originally as Customs clearance agents, and later as hauliers as well, to Portugal France and Spain.

Hi Richard I used to to tip and load your trailers when I used to sub for Phill Horridge. I remember going to Bedford a lot to tip towels.I also used to go to Portugal and often ran wth Steve Holland,Ian Penny and Mike Hennesey in the good old days.

geoff luther:
:slight_smile:

richardggeary:

Hi Richard I used to to tip and load your trailers when I used to sub for Phill Horridge. I remember going to Bedford a lot to tip towels.I also used to go to Portugal and often ran wth Steve Holland,Ian Penny and Mike Hennesey in the good old days.

Geoff, you haven’t got any pictures with Phil Horridge’s old ERF ‘European’ NGC in them have you? Even its only in the background. Cheers! Robert :slight_smile:

MaggieD:
Hi Geoff,

Remember shipping Truckline from Poole, Ian Rycroft (R.I.P.) always seemed to be there on the quay asking where you were going and for who :laughing:
Shipped out to Rome from there in a Magirus 232 via the Vent. (Non Quota :blush: ) took forever to get there with Mel from Ridgers thought we’d never get there :unamused:
One of Buzzer’s Mary Hopkins moments.
What was the name of the guy who drove the Swains French reg. Scania? really nice bloke.

In later years when I ran 30 trucks John Clark the Freight guy looked after me like a father :wink: I think he’s retired now, another diamond geezer.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard you are dead right about Ian Rycroft always being in the docks on a sunday night trying to find out where everyone was going, I used to drive for Reg Bugler and he would ask me the same. I think the chap that drove for Swains France could be Keith Lovell.regards Geoff

Buzzer:
Recall shipping out of Poole in the early 70’s for PBC European in an non sleeper AEC Mandator, they also had an office in Cherbourg and French reg trucks to get permits. Frank Allen who was owner of PBC had money in Truckline from the off and he only lives 1/2 a mile from me now and is now 85 y/o, Shipped put one Sunday night on the “Cocotin” and it was rough seas landed in Cherbourg Tuesday afternoon and could not walk straight for 24hrs, still have a sticker on me banjo the truck with the thumbs up (remember them) cheers Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer I was more fortunate than you I never had the pleasure of the Cocotin.I have heard of Frank Allen and glad to hear he is still about,I remember also the thumbs up sticker. After getting your sea legs on the Cocotin sea crossings must have been a piece of cake for you.regards Geoff

rondavies:

mappo:
Hi Ron, I never went on it, but didn’t that dock at Vigo. ■■?

No it docked at Viana do Castelo, Portugal.

Hi Ron I shipped back to Poole from Viana do Costello when the Customs in Irun were on strike,we sailed Saturday lunch time and got to Poole Monday morning.Portugese shipping line (Vasco) French Captain and Polish crew.We had to serv our own tables with food passed through serving hatch.The only alcohol was what we took on board ourselves.I felt sorry for some Portugese horse soldiers who had to ship this route as they were not allowed to go via Spain who then had to go to dover/Calais to a show in Paris.regards Geoff

Well, better start at the beginning. I first used Truckline in January 1977. I’d started for Atkins Cherbourg, the truck was on the other side so I had to fly. I’d never flown before and never been out of the country either. What an experience! ! I also drove for Swains Cherbourg initially with a Scania 111 and then the famous Berliet 305 christened the Berlijet by Dave Ketteringham when he worked for Phil Horridge. JD Fairweather then offered me £10 per day more so I went to work for him for 4and a half years. By the way my nickname on Swains was Frog50. 10 years then followed for M D F,then 11years for Matthews Int. (All from Gt. Yarmouth ) Chuck in 2 yrs for Gordy Knowlton 1980-82.I decided in 2013 that enough was enough and retired.36 yrs of Truckline and Brittany Ferries. I don’t know if that’s a record but it must be close. I’ve got so many fond memories of all those years and made so many good friends, quite a few still in touch especially at the Old ■■■■■ Reunion each October in Bournemouth. Here’s to absent friends.

Shipped in and out of Poole only a few times (lucky me) I subbed for a while for Freightwise who had a portakabin next to Richmonds on the dock.

Used to have to cash the cheque that they paid in at the desk in Poole for running money. Does any know what happened to Robin and Eric ?

Hi Geoff,

You will remember the driver’s accommodation then. Four 20 ft shipping containers welded on to the aft of the ship!!

You were right…French Captain and Polish crew.
I seem to recall that you were given the “duty free” at no cost but when I travelled on it they only had Pernod plus 200 ciggies. Drivers were confined to their cabins, the cabin where you ate and an open area on top deck. We were not allowed access to the rest of the ship.

Food delivered through a serving hatch. The menu left a lot to be desired

rondavies:
Hi Geoff,

You will remember the driver’s accommodation then. Four 20 ft shipping containers welded on to the aft of the ship!!

You were right…French Captain and Polish crew.
I seem to recall that you were given the “duty free” at no cost but when I travelled on it they only had Pernod plus 200 ciggies. Drivers were confined to their cabins, the cabin where you ate and an open area on top deck. We were not allowed access to the rest of the ship.

Food delivered through a serving hatch. The menu left a lot to be desired

Hi Ron yes I rember them well.We either played cards in mess room or read a book in cabin. I don’t think we were given the duty free till we got to Poole.The food was not to good nor the picture on the TV,but it was an experience.regards Geoff

Mention of the food reminded me when I shipped out of Poole one day and of the 12 drivers on board I was the only British driver, on the menu was steak (if you could call it that, not sure from which animal) any ways it was bloody one end of the platter and I should think they had only wiped it’s backside at the other. Unfortunately for me I did not get first dib’s and could not even cut it let alone chew it, had to make do with harricoe vere (French beans) and bread, so the first French words in my vocabulary became Bien Quie which most seasoned drivers will know means well done, another Mary Hopkin’s moment, cheers Buzzer.

richardggeary:

Those we’re the days Rich. Mine and Micks truck, I had 007 behind me their and as I use to say it was’ licensed to carry’ fantastic company,fantastic days '. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Buzzer:
Mention of the food reminded me when I shipped out of Poole one day and of the 12 drivers on board I was the only British driver, on the menu was steak (if you could call it that, not sure from which animal) any ways it was bloody one end of the platter and I should think they had only wiped it’s backside at the other. Unfortunately for me I did not get first dib’s and could not even cut it let alone chew it, had to make do with harricoe vere (French beans) and bread, so the first French words in my vocabulary became Bien Quie which most seasoned drivers will know means well done, another Mary Hopkin’s moment, cheers Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer I Know what you mean with the steak a good vet would get it back on its feet.When I used to ship out on a Sunday it was always rabitt and macaroni for lunch and to think if was at home would probably have proper Sunday dinner.regards Geoff

375143_131386753722200_382276285_n.jpg
375143_131386753722200_382276285_n.jpg