Shell mex and BP Ltd Fuel Depots

Hi Bryan.

They are great photos.

I think dads first tanker at SMBP was in the yellow grey and white colour. The first tanker I can remember dad driving was a Scammell Trunker artic. I think the drivers used to call them six threes. I can remember dad stopping outside our house and coming in for a cup of tea and a break. I would sit out on the pavement and guard it for him :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

yes youre spot on we called them 6-3s because they normally had a nominal capacity of 6300 gallons

Thanks Joe that’s explained it for me. I hadn’t thought of that as was thinking in terms of litres but yes back then it was all gallons.

Yes,your right about the six threes…we called them that as well ,not sure if I have posted this one before here is one I used to have allocated to me.I think the reg.No. was AUV 401 H…pictured outside what was the new workshops at Dunball Terminal in Somerset

Used to love them Scammells especially the ones with a Rolls engine and the non gated gearbox,we had a couple of"2 pedal"Trunker 3s they werent a bad motor either

Hello All.

I have recently been given these 2 aerial photographs of The Haven Depot in Essex where my dad was based. I think the photos were taken by another driver from the depot who also had his pilots license.

Looking at the vehicles I would think they were taken around the mid 1980’s.

I don’t think there are many photos of this depot about so thought i would share them.

Darren

H.ere is a photo of the Fulham Terminal from the Thames

Fulham Terminal.jpg

Any photos of warley depot West Midlands my was a driver there during the late 60s to early 80s he was on the gas driving volvo F7 chinese six,leyland bison,scammers routeman,trunker,leyland marathon,Scania LB 80 super on the bitumen

Volvo F7 chinese six,would like to see a leyland bison gas tanker
[attachment=- 0]12376861_1141420512557238_147221015260691093_n-1.jpg[/attachment]

12961495_1141421659223790_1937007076293990421_n-1.jpgLeyland marathon

49133093152_3f7ba5d3f5.jpg

tankerjack:
A Albion 8 wheeler with a rather strange designed cab , does anybody know who the cab manufacturer is ?

Kevin morris,it’s an Alfred miles cab

ThompsonsWM072.jpg

Kevin morris:
Any photos of warley depot West Midlands my was a driver there during the late 60s to early 80s he was on the gas driving volvo F7 chinese six,leyland bison,scammers routeman,trunker,leyland marathon,Scania LB 80 super on the bitumen

I drove for Shell Mex and BP from 1969 at Kingsbury Terminal and we had quite a few ex Warley drivers that had transferred there, I can remember that we had one Volvo chinese six tractor unit that had been used to haul the LPG gas trailers but it was the earlier model Volvo F86, we didn’t like it very much and much preffered our Scammell Trunkers, when the companies split up I was put on Shell and finished there in 1992.

Marmaduke:

Kevin morris:

I drove for Shell Mex and BP from 1969 at Kingsbury Terminal and we had quite a few ex Warley drivers that had transferred there, I can remember that we had one Volvo chinese six tractor unit that had been used to haul the LPG gas trailers but it was the earlier model Volvo F86, we didn’t like it very much and much preffered our Scammell Trunkers, when the companies split up I was put on Shell and finished there in 1992.

Would like to see a pic of the F86 Chinese 6 unit. Didnt realise there was such a thing

I am afraid I never thought to take a photo of the chinese six Volvo F86 at the time probably because as I said none of us liked it but I now wish that I had, perhaps someone out there does have a photo they could put on here.
I think that Shell Mex & BP must have specially commissioned Volvo to build them probably from an eight wheel rigid removing the fourth axle and moving the third axle forward and then cutting off the end of the chassis.
I did take photos of our other tankers of various makes which I will put on.