Hargreaves Fuel Oil Liversedge

Does anybody have any pictures?? I spent 25 happy years there, it was a good environment, good managers, good industrial relations, good equipment and good mates. We built that terminal up from an old railway goods yard (Liversedge Spen) into a modern well equipped operation…and then in 1984/5 the whizz kid suits came in and we were redundant.
Sadly there doesn’t seem to be any photo record of the place.

The Charrington Hargreaves oil depot in Liversedge.

4291253877.jpg

Great stuff JOHN, Keep them coming, Regards Larry.

Thanks for that photo, our oil trains were our lifeline and one of the reasons the suits closed us down was because the service we got from British Rail was appalling. The trains (sometimes two a day) were on timed delivery, that means they had to be with us at a set time. 12 hour delays were common, sometimes they just didn’t show up at all, we were a distribution outfit, BR did the bulk haulage, the product had to be kept warm, trains parked up anywhere between Ellesmere Port (or Immingham) and the oil went cold and the pumps couldn’t shift it.
Bottom line is British Rail cost us our jobs, I was bitter at the time about it and time hasn’t mellowed me. :imp:

Couple of Hargreave’s ERF tankers to have a look at here GOM flickr.com/photos/35455701@N03/6041642649
Cheers
Oily

Thanks, I remember them well, mine was the one on the right, although that’s not me sitting in it, I didn’t do collars and ties. :smiley: All our artics were strange in that the trailers weren’t fitted with landing legs, they were never uncoupled from the unit.
I spent 25 happy years at Hargreaves, all the staff were long term except the seasonal drivers who came from Wallace Arnold in Leeds, usually the same faces every winter.

Hello

ref the picture -the truck on the left A401 LCX ran out of Ellesmere port -even though if you look at the haz plates it says 1202 derv/gasoil it was mainly on black oil-there was also A402 LCX (902) and A403 LCX (903)–902 and 903 mainly did gas and derv and kero to Feniscowles depot in Blackburn and bunkered big haulage firms , and i do remember padiham power station being on gas oil-my dad drove for them for 42 years, and me Grandad , even though they went through many name changes and it ended up CPL when he retired -its now CERTAS under the big GB Oils umbrella.–Ref A404 LCX that ended up at Kirmington depot i’ve got a photo of it unit only in Charrington Hargreaves colours after Hargreaves were taken over by Anglo United and put back together with Charringstons.