Serious crash 11/10/18 M4 east 14/13 Newbury long closure

An update from the Coroners Court today.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b … e-50004994

Video shows the outcome of how it happened. Truck overtaking pulls in safely, then suddenly shortly after swerves out into lane 2 giving the driver behind seconds to react to a stationary vehicle. It even says the bus had something serious happen for it to practically stop in a heartbeat from 50mph.

Sad for all involved and no matter what I don’t think the outcome could have been any different short of a hard shoulder being available.

Either truck 1 wasn’t paying attention to the bus slowing down or it stopped very rapidly indeed, had truck 1 stayed out longer then truck 2 would have had time see the situation developing and reacted accordingly.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

The camera’s view is of a moving minibus for about about seven seconds, the minibus is then obscured by the overtaking lorry for about four seconds, followed by a stationary 'bus being progressively revealed for about two seconds before the video ends. Whether it was the driver or AEBS which applied the brakes I can’t see the outcome being any different. If it was the driver and he managed it before impact then he has probably done all that was possible.

This accident was almost exactly a year ago. Considering that the Police would have seized the recording immediately one would hope that all of those so tragically affected by it would not have been made to wait all this time without at least some indication of its content.

jakethesnake:
Yes I used to cringe all the time but thankfully not so much as I spend most of my time in Holland these days.It makes me wonder what goes these drivers minds?
Or maybe it is the lack of something that is the problem. :wink:

Are they the ones that like to blame everything but the driver when an accident happens I wonder? It ain’t good.

Holland the country that would be gold medalists if tailgating were an Olympic sport :exclamation: :exclamation:

jakethesnake:
is driving close to the one in front a new thing though?

No, it’s not a new thing but it is far more prevalent than ever before.In the days before limiters it was quite rare to see a truck following dangerously close but now it’s a common sight.
Of course the roads are a lot busier these days but it all boils down to one thing. Self control, something fewer drivers seem to have these days. They simply do not know when to back off.

Spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk