Crash M5

M5 closed Gloucester, 13/09/20. North bound closed until 06hr00 Mon at least.
Seems a car broke down on hard shoulder, a truck parked behind to offer protection, and another truck hit this one.
bbc.com/news/uk-england-glo … e-54137498
Radio reports an explosion heard 3 miles away.
No news on any casualties as yet.

Obviously somebody’s been killed.
Just hope it wasn’t the lad who stopped to protect the car occupants, more than likely the driver of the truck that rammed him.
Tragic whoever it is.

Gloucestershire live article says it’s unknown if there’s any injuries. ■■■■■■■■. The photo clearly shows a screen up which means serious life changing injury or more likely someone has died.

It doesn’t look good.

But would you have stopped your lorry in a live lane? (Edit: IF that’s what happened]

safe_image.jpg

I have stopped in a live lane before to help out a standed vehicle. I assumed with my hazards on I’d be a big enough warning for others to spot me as apposed to the car with no lights or hazards at night.

I don’t know why we are all beating about the bush. One vehicle is totally and absolutely in the wrong here. And that is the driver who drove into the back of a stationary vehicle. I’m far from perfect so won’t judge too harshly - but lets not knock the bloke who was trying to assist someone who was vulnerable.

Our job isn’t to close lanes or protect anyone. But some of us chose to help out others. Same as I’d get out and help a driver stugggling to get on a bay I’ll help out a car or biker in trouble. Nothing wrong with that imo - the country would be a great deal better if we all did it.

robroy:
Obviously somebody’s been killed.
Just hope it wasn’t the lad who stopped to protect the car occupants, more than likely the driver of the truck that rammed him.
Tragic whoever it is.

No doubt about that, the COOP driver wouldn’t have got out of that

Cosmic:
It doesn’t look good.

But would you have stopped your lorry in a live lane? (Edit: IF that’s what happened]

NOPE

worldsbestdriver:
I don’t know why we are all beating about the bush. One vehicle is totally and absolutely in the wrong here. And that is the driver who drove into the back of a stationary vehicle.

Again, a wild…

Assumption that proves your ignorance of the real world.

Can you, with no knowledge whatsoever of the circumstances, rule out the second vehicle’s driver having a heart attack?

I thought you were hopeless with your advice on containers in a previous thread.

Please, if you can’t contribute sensible ideas, don’t contribute at all.

Unfortunately it appears one driver has lost his life according to BBC radio Norfolk tonight.
Also mentioned the car driver has been arrested for dangerous driving and driving under the influence…

R.i.p Driver…

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-g … e-54139133

A man has died following a crash with two lorries and a car on a motorway in Gloucestershire.
He was driving a lorry that crashed into another lorry that had stopped to protect a car which lost control on the M5 carriageway at about 05:20 BST.
The 37-year-old from Bristol was pronounced dead at the scene.
The car driver, a 21-year-old man, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and driving under the influence of drink and/or drugs.
He has since been released under investigation.

Looks like a drunk crashed,ended up in Lane 1, first lorry stopped to help and ‘protect’ the car driver sat in lane 1 and a some point the co op driver rear ended the lorry. So sad a couple of seconds of day dreaming possibly gets you killed.

yourhavingalarf:

worldsbestdriver:
I don’t know why we are all beating about the bush. One vehicle is totally and absolutely in the wrong here. And that is the driver who drove into the back of a stationary vehicle.

Again, a wild…

Assumption that proves your ignorance of the real world.

Can you, with no knowledge whatsoever of the circumstances, rule out the second vehicle’s driver having a heart attack?

I thought you were hopeless with your advice on containers in a previous thread.

Please, if you can’t contribute sensible ideas, don’t contribute at all.

The driver having a heart attack is just as wild a speculation as any other and with any amount of driving experience you will have seen drivers not paying attention, following too close etc, so the heart attack assumption is an even wilder speculation really.

My first thoughts were that the Coop lorry was 3rd or 4th in line behind traffic coming up to the stationary lorry and by the time the other lorries had took avoiding action it was too late for the Coop man to do anything. So nobody but the ■■■■ that crashed was to blame, which coincides with the statement from the Police. The driver of the lorry that stopped may have just done so as the ■■■■■■ up driver of the car crashed directly in front of him too, so no blame there either.

RIP driver.

To be fair as well it’s not even a smart motorway section and the stationary vehicles are stopped in lane 1, not the hard shoulder on what was probably an otherwise freely moving motorway. You just wouldn’t expect the vehicle to be stopped In the lane even if he saw the hazard lights.

One thing I cant work out us what caused the hole in the carriageway next to the central reservation. Its like something exploded there and there’s burning around the crash barrier.

Bit confused also as to why the front trailer caught fire, but doesn’t seem to have affected the Coop trailer (although unfortunately burned the cab).

Regarding stopping - possibly unless I was in a Renault as they seem to turn off all lights (except hazards). Very dangerous if you’ve stopped or broken down.

On a related note, when driving at night and you see hazards, the first assumption is easily the vehicle is on the hard shoulder. You actually have to get very close before you can tell for sure. If they thought this combined with low traffic do not taking much notice, they might not see it in time.

No doubt we might find out eventually. But sad to hear driver didn’t get home.

Saturday night/ early Sunday morning and drunk / stoned drivers? UNPOSSIBLE! (about 25% chance really from my estimation, cars in particular)

Moral of the story: don’t get involved on a saturday night and the early hours after

Also like someone else said if you see a vehicle with hazards on the m-way you expect it to be on the friggin HS. Why stop to protect the car in the first place, unless the driver was stuck inside unable to exit? Protect other traffic, maybe…well, that didn’t work too well did it?

ETS:
Saturday night/ early Sunday morning and drunk / stoned drivers? UNPOSSIBLE! (about 25% chance really from my estimation, cars in particular)

Moral of the story: don’t get involved on a saturday night and the early hours after

Also like someone else said if you see a vehicle with hazards on the m-way you expect it to be on the friggin HS. Why stop to protect the car in the first place, unless the driver was stuck inside unable to exit? Protect other traffic, maybe…well, that didn’t work too well did it?

This sort of thing annoys me when you get truck drivers driving at a snails pace blocking a live lane approaching roadworks to stop drivers cutting in they have no right whatsoever to do this.

ETS:
Also like someone else said if you see a vehicle with hazards on the m-way you expect it to be on the friggin HS. Why stop to protect the car in the first place, unless the driver was stuck inside unable to exit?

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but only last week a girl was on the radio in tears telling how a lorry driver saved her life and her young kid’s life by doing just that.

Never done it myself, never needed to, but if it was me I’d weigh up the specific circumstances on the day and decide if it was appropriate…or not.
I.d like to think others would do the same if my wife or daughters found themselves in that situation.
One of the very rare occasions where all that ‘Knights of the road’ old ■■■■■■■■ actually applies.

robroy:

ETS:
Also like someone else said if you see a vehicle with hazards on the m-way you expect it to be on the friggin HS. Why stop to protect the car in the first place, unless the driver was stuck inside unable to exit?

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but only last week a girl was on the radio in tears telling how a lorry driver saved her life and her young kid’s life by doing just that.

Never done it myself, never needed to, but if it was me I’d weigh up the specific circumstances on the day and decide if it was appropriate…or not.
I.d like to think others would do the same if my wife or daughters found themselves in that situation.
One of the very rare occasions where all that ‘Knights of the road’ old ■■■■■■■■ actually applies.

Well said.
When you’re first on the scene you don’t know if that car has been left by a ■■■■■■ up idiot, or if it contains nuns and orphans.
When I see 4way flashers I too expect there to be something on the hard shoulder, but until I see that the carriageway is actually clear, I keep my options open. Kero looking ahead but Look for escape route to side and be prepared to stop or move over.
Dont drive beyond what you can actually SEE.

Franglais:

robroy:

ETS:

Well said.
When you’re first on the scene you don’t know if that car has been left by a ■■■■■■ up idiot, or if it contains nuns and orphans.
When I see 4way flashers I too expect there to be something on the hard shoulder, but until I see that the carriageway is actually clear, I keep my options open. Kero looking ahead but Look for escape route to side and be prepared to stop or move over.
Dont drive beyond what you can actually SEE.

Sadly these day too many drivers not paying attention (not saying this is what happened this time) but you see so many on or looking at their phones not concentrating on the road and its too late when they look up and that time of the morning they just expect the road to be clear

newmercman:
The driver having a heart attack is just as wild a speculation as any other and with any amount of driving experience you will have seen drivers not paying attention, following too close etc, so the heart attack assumption is an even wilder speculation really.

RIP driver.

Yeh, you’re…

Right there, I went in all guns blazing. Just get a little riled when people become judge, jury and executioner before the full circumstances are known.

RIP driver.