Serious crash 11/10/18 M4 east 14/13 Newbury long closure

According to the BBC website a third person has died in hospital.

Rip to all

mdourish:
A lot of problems in these road works is people weaving in and out of lanes and if coming to a quick slow not using hazards. I had one on the m1 this week lane one queing for slip road so I sat in lane 2 next thing woman cuts across from lane 3 into lane 2 slams on as she didnt want to que if I was looking at a mirror at the time I would have been straight into the back of her.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sound like bad driving all round.

jakethesnake:

mdourish:
A lot of problems in these road works is people weaving in and out of lanes and if coming to a quick slow not using hazards. I had one on the m1 this week lane one queing for slip road so I sat in lane 2 next thing woman cuts across from lane 3 into lane 2 slams on as she didnt want to que if I was looking at a mirror at the time I would have been straight into the back of her.

Sound like bad driving all round.

Good driving on my part for not hitting her

Dominique Hamblin said he had never seen such an horrific accident as that one,[witness]well,we all know of one sometime back don’t we,the M1 minibus where 8 people died,that was the worst one and a terrible one

cav551:

jakethesnake:
is driving close to the one in front a new thing though?

No, it’s not a new thing but it is far more prevalent than ever before.In the days before limiters it was quite rare to see a truck following dangerously close but now it’s a common sight.
Of course the roads are a lot busier these days but it all boils down to one thing. Self control, something fewer drivers seem to have these days. They simply do not know when to back off.

Nothing new at all: M1

liveleak.com/view?i=c2f_1462602957

M6

alamy.com/stock-photo-motor … 26flip%3d0

Perhaps it’s nothing new, but is it the fact the roads are getting more congested each year that plays a part in the severity of the inevitable crash and that’s why we then hear about them more?

I have to say that the standard of driving is now so poor, that I no longer travel in the UK unless it is required.
I have once again retired from driving for the usual reasons, but the possibility of being involved in all this kind of thing prevents any sane person from being a driver for a living in my opinion.

Too many people, not enough space…Too many people who want to be there yesterday and too few people who actually have a value on their own life and those of others…Overcrowding is not only about space, but attitude.

DickyNick:

cav551:

jakethesnake:

No, it’s not a new thing but it is far more prevalent than ever before.In the days before limiters it was quite rare to see a truck following dangerously close but now it’s a common sight.
Of course the roads are a lot busier these days but it all boils down to one thing. Self control, something fewer drivers seem to have these days. They simply do not know when to back off.

M6

Perhaps it’s nothing new, but is it the fact the roads are getting more congested each year that plays a part in the severity of the inevitable crash and that’s why we then hear about them more?

I really hope that is not the attitude of truck drivers these days.The only inevitable thing about these attrocious accidents is mostly down to poor driving skills.

If only more drove to the conditions (and stopped looking at screens in some cases) of a busy road these accidents would be far fewer.

nogo:
Just another thought as to why these horrendous accidents keep happening maybe the tachometer laws need to be changed. With more congestion on the roads and work demands what they are in some companies all it takes is to miss out on a couple of hours sleep, and the next thing disaster strikes. Could happen to any one.

Nothing wrong with the current hours rules ,it’s More like folk should get to bed at night rather than pulling one off .

Tailgating by hgv is trrrible I cringe at gaps I see between trucks every day.
I often wonder if big firms obsession with telematics and drivers using cruise control is part of the problem as drivers get grilled about it.
I don’t cover massive distances on motorways but tend to set cruise at 53 as it leaves the flat out boys free to pass and I can easy pass the limited to 50 trucks makes the day much less stressful.
Amount of traffic and standard of driving in south east is shocking in cars trucks buses etc

jakethesnake:

DickyNick:

cav551:

jakethesnake:

M6

I really hope that is not the attitude of truck drivers these days.The only inevitable thing about these attrocious accidents is mostly down to poor driving skills.

If only more drove to the conditions (and stopped looking at screens in some cases) of a busy road these accidents would be far fewer.

The crash is inevitable because of how close everyone is to each other because of the delusional idea that your making more progress by closing all the gaps. All it takes is one person to either make a mistake or do something stupid and noone can react…bang.

I personally leave at least my stopping distance then when someone goes into my gap I’ll back off again and again and again and again to maintain my space.

kr79:
I often wonder if big firms obsession with telematics and drivers using cruise control is part of the problem as drivers get grilled about it.
I don’t cover massive distances on motorways but tend to set cruise at 53 as it leaves the flat out boys free to pass and I can easy pass the limited to 50 trucks makes the day much less stressful.
Amount of traffic and standard of driving in south east is shocking in cars trucks buses etc

It’s not hard though is it to notice your approaching the vehicle in front and use your fingers to knock the speed of your cruise control down until you’ve matched the speed of what your following and are maintaining your gap. Most of the the time you can do it without turning the cruise control off if your actually paying attention…

Punchy Dan:

nogo:
Just another thought as to why these horrendous accidents keep happening maybe the tachometer laws need to be changed. With more congestion on the roads and work demands what they are in some companies all it takes is to miss out on a couple of hours sleep, and the next thing disaster strikes. Could happen to any one.

Nothing wrong with the current hours rules ,it’s More like folk should get to bed at night rather than pulling one off .

Tachometer = rev counter.
Am I missing something here ? :confused:

feeling i see more tupenny hapenny shunts these days than i did years back. often on roundabouts

kr79:

Yes I used to cringe all the time but thankfully not so much as I spend most of my time in Holland these days.It makes me wonder what goes these drivers minds?
Or maybe it is the lack of something that is the problem. :wink:

Are they the ones that like to blame everything but the driver when an accident happens I wonder? It ain’t good.

DickyNick:

kr79:

It’s not hard though is it to notice your approaching the vehicle in front and use your fingers to knock the speed of your cruise control down until you’ve matched the speed of what your following and are maintaining your gap. Most of the the time you can do it without turning the cruise control off if your actually paying attention…

You would think so but amount of motors 6 foot from each other on the limiter says otherwise.
I travel on a13 lots and containers in to the docks are worst for it

Winseer:
This section of the M4 is a long gap between junctions, and the road weaves about a bit, possibly having lengths where one might have the sun in one’s face…

Tiredness? Dazzled? No Hard Shoulder to pull up on? Too much reliance on gantry warnings, rather than actually watching the road ahead?

With two people sadly losing their lives - I hope the authorities don’t whitewash this whole thing as being “someone’s fault” so no lessons can be learned after all.

This isn’t the first time an artic has rear-ended a minibus, after all. :frowning:

RIP.

Hardly long gaps, this section is just over 7 miles, Chievely to Reading is 11 miles, It happened at Midday so sun was at it’s highest point.

Whatever happened, the truck hit the bus at speed, it shunted it 50yds down the road

Went past the scene today. It was about 200-250 yards after the temporary barrier started, just after the crest of a gentle gradient and with 6-700 yards of clear sight line around a gentle left bend. I couldn’t see any issues with the road at all.

I’ll leave other to speculate & keep my theories to myself as it feels a bit crass while the police investigation is ongoing & familes are grieving.

Wiretwister:
Went past the scene today. It was about 200-250 yards after the temporary barrier started, just after the crest of a gentle gradient and with 6-700 yards of clear sight line around a gentle left bend. I couldn’t see any issues with the road at all.

I’ll leave other to speculate & keep my theories to myself as it feels a bit crass while the police investigation is ongoing & familes are grieving.

+1

kr79:

I was coming back from West Wales yesterday and anyone who was around that area on Friday will know it was heavy rain and gale force winds and reduced visibility so I put her on 50 clicks and kept out of it but there were countless wagons going past inches apart, it just needed someone in the middle lane to get spooked by something and slam on their brakes and chaos would follow no doubt !!

bald bloke:

kr79:

I was coming back from West Wales yesterday and anyone who was around that area on Friday will know it was heavy rain and gale force winds and reduced visibility so I put her on 50 clicks and kept out of it but there were countless wagons going past inches apart, it just needed someone in the middle lane to get spooked by something and slam on their brakes and chaos would follow no doubt !!

Yep,it beggars belief the way some drive.Thank goodness there will be changes soon.