Self driving lorries. Again. [Merged]

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:
Could work if they split up at junctions to allow cars to slip on?
Depends on the exact programming.
I wonder if Trucker Jay could help work it all out??

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Why don’t they ask UKtramp? His many, many qualifications make him the obvious man to save the day…

To be fair he has talked about his qualifications, but has he ever claimed to be a good lorry driver? Can’t accuse the man of being boastful can we?

You may be right. I don’t recall him stating he is a good lorry driver. He has called himself “above average” though.

With some of the buggers about nowadays,He dos’nt want to brag like that

SHUNT1986:
So many things could go wrong with this, unfortunately it will take someone getting injured or worse before they stop it. What if either of the rear trucks has a blow out for instance?

if one gets a blow out they all get one, its like that swimming thingy they all do together

ben.blakemore:
A platoon of trucks isn’t such a bad idea, half the time were in convoy with several vehicles a couple of car lengths apart so why not take advantage. Scania put a video out a while back
youtu.be/n0SXO_hzYDY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having watched that video, I take back all my criticism and doubts over this fine idea. After all it worked in an empty airfield, why wouldn’t it work on the motorways of the UK :question:

Something which some comments touch on which I’m not sure whether they’ve thought through before investing the money in this…

Assuming only one company use the system rather than “share” it with other companies which I can’t see happening, how often does one company have multiple lorries going to the same place at the same time? To send them down motorways in convoys like this it will require having vehicles waiting about for hours for the next vehicles to be ready to come and join the convoy, causing delays, load refusals etc

On the BBC story-

‪So basically they’re just going to drive round in lorries with adaptive cruise control…do they know we’re doing that already?‬

To be honest though those of you thinking they won’t be able to make this work on UK roads are just engaging in wishful thinking. I don’t like the idea of doing away with our jobs any more than you do but this is coming and coming fast. So fast that I wouldn’t want to be that kid again who wants to be a truck driver because it’ll probably never happen now, sad as that makes me

Rowley010:
Something which some comments touch on which I’m not sure whether they’ve thought through before investing the money in this…

Assuming only one company use the system rather than “share” it with other companies which I can’t see happening, how often does one company have multiple lorries going to the same place at the same time? To send them down motorways in convoys like this it will require having vehicles waiting about for hours for the next vehicles to be ready to come and join the convoy, causing delays, load refusals etc

If this is going to happen there would need some agreement between companies or some regulations to force companies to use it. Because as far as I understand the truck in front isn’t going to see much if any improvement in MPG, it’s the ones behind that benefit, so if they’re from multiple companies the operator at the rear of the convoy if saving more money than the operator of the lead truck.

Franglais:

My understanding is that the platoon is supposed to increase the distance when it approaches junctions to give other drivers a chance to exit and enter the motorway, I’m not sure if the drivers take over again when they increase the distance or they’re still operating as a platoon. Even the RHA are saying platooning won’t work on most of the UK’s motorways with its many junctions.

Also each truck has a driver and they’re supposed to be there to take over when the technology can’t cope, but this means they’re expecting a driver to stay alert to take over in an emergency even though they have no input in the operation of the vehicle, something as a species were not very good at.

Platooning will be used by operators as a way to change the regulations, so the driver can spend longer in the cab without a proper break. They will say the driver is resting while in the cab, but if you’re on standby you can hardly get on the bunk or make a brew.

switchlogic:
To be honest though those of you thinking they won’t be able to make this work on UK roads are just engaging in wishful thinking. I don’t like the idea of doing away with our jobs any more than you do but this is coming and coming fast. So fast that I wouldn’t want to be that kid again who wants to be a truck driver because it’ll probably never happen now, sad as that makes me

I used to think this was going to happen quickly, but reading more about it, it will come, all the way up to full automation, but the timescales might be hyped up by the manufacturers to encourage investors, especially as some of the companies pushing this are recent start-up hi-tech companies.

There are many jobs that will be automated and hopefully new jobs created, the generation leaving school now are very likely to find themselves doing job in 30 years time that don’t even exist now, well that’s the positive outlook.
The negative outlook is that there will be very few jobs, because the economic system we have works on short term profits with very little concern about the long term social and environmental impact. This will lead to a massive gulf between haves and have nots followed by civil unrest and revolution.

muckles:

switchlogic:

I used to think this was going to happen quickly, but reading more about it, it will come, all the way up to full automation, but the timescales might be hyped up by the manufacturers to encourage investors, especially as some of the companies pushing this are recent start-up hi-tech companies.

There are many jobs that will be automated and hopefully new jobs created, the generation leaving school now are very likely to find themselves doing job in 30 years time that don’t even exist now, well that’s the positive outlook.
The negative outlook is that there will be very few jobs, because the economic system we have works on short term profits with very little concern about the long term social and environmental impact. This will lead to a massive gulf between haves and have nots followed by civil unrest and revolution.

I used to think it was going to be a long way off, until I drove a truck with adaptive cruise control and realized most of the tech is already here

Yep, as usual, the only thing standing in the way of this is cost. A few sizeable campaign donations to political parties and a lease deal that’s cheaper than a driver and we’re there.

Crashes won’t matter in the slightest bit - we already have them, and they’ll be even more acceptable with cheaper transport I.e. More profits, not cheaper goods.

switchlogic:

muckles:

switchlogic:

I used to think it was going to be a long way off, until I drove a truck with adaptive cruise control and realized most of the tech is already here

I agree the technology is here, it the humans factor, both from those that have to stay alert to monitor the vehicle at the early automation stages and then others humans interacting around a fully automatic vehicle at the later stages.
As I said it will happen and maybe in certain parts of Europe it will be here quicker than others, where there is less chance of having to deal with non-automated vehicles.

Rowley010:

I tend to think the ideas of platooning and the environmental benefits are all just a red herring by a government keen to sell the public the concept.

The long term idea is to expand the economy (which in itself is anti enviroment), and also with an ever ageing population supported by a decreasing workforce it is obvious that any jobs that can be automated are, work such as social care are difficult to automate and workforce cannon fodder are needed to fill those rolls.

the AA said they are worried signs will be blocked for car drivers,think about it though,car drivers won’t be able to cut us up at the last minute coming off the motorway like one done to me a couple of weeks ago,he actually drove over the last part of the chevrons nearly hitting the barriers,car drivers who are not sure will have to have patience and sit behind the lorries if they want to exit the motorway,that will make a change.

why dont they just give us these?
5 drops a day,or 10 on groupage…surely the plobbers could manage that? cant see a problem with these anywhere in the uk.the public would just make allowances for us and give plenty of room. :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=iMEmY1Cjs4U

youtube.com/watch?v=8YAPxOFfBd4

There is no doubt it’s coming and sooner than we all though but it won’t affect most companies it will be for the big boys first
It will be another form of trunking on a long motorway a Base at the start and a Base at the Finnish so there will have to be drivers at the Finnish to foward the goods

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

Why don’t they ask UKtramp? His many, many qualifications make him the obvious man to save the day…

To be fair he has talked about his qualifications, but has he ever claimed to be a good lorry driver? Can’t accuse the man of being boastful can we?

You may be right. I don’t recall him stating he is a good lorry driver. He has called himself “above average” though.

well the dudes just a troll,but anytime i read his posts then this pic always springs to mind. :slight_smile:

switchlogic:

muckles:

switchlogic:

The technology has been around for years. Mercedes-Benz have a car that can drive, and overtake, all by itself. Cars can park themselves. It’s integrating the technology that causes the delay. Automated vehicles won’t mix well with autonomous drivers in other vehicles.

What happens when a slow vehicle is in front? Does the Convoy slow down? Or overtake as one… :open_mouth:

Elephant racing was never so much fun…

Different weights and powers of trucks when going up or down steep hills? Does the big light truck deliberately slow down and waste fuel and time to keep with heavier slower ones?

Food delivery company calls restaurant: ‘Your delivery of food will be with you tomorrow morning’ by the way you will have to wheel off all the cages and carry the food in your self, and please can you put any empty cages back on the truck’

Restaurant: we haven’t got time or the staff to do that, why cant the driver do it ? ’ Food delivery company: ‘The truck hasn’t got a driver, we have a fleet of those new driver less trucks now’ :smiley:

Quote from the article:

In the platoons, the lead vehicle will be controlled by a human driver and will communicate with the rest of the convoy wirelessly.

The following vehicles will be instructed to accelerate and brake by the lead vehicle, allowing the lorries to drive closer together than they could with human drivers.

Lorries driving close together could reduce air resistance for the following vehicles, as the front lorry pushes air out of the way.

This could lead to fuel efficiency savings for haulage companies, which Transport Minister Paul Maynard hopes will be passed on to consumers.

The following vehicles could also react more quickly to the lead lorry braking than human drivers can.

However, human drivers will still steer all the lorries in the convoy.

So the lorries will be driving closer together than they otherwise could … but the following lorries will still be steered by humans.

How the f#ck are you supposed to be able to SEE what is going to happen in enough time to react correctly?

The whole concept is dreamed up by a tech firm populated by geeks, and promoted by morons who have never sat in a lorry in their lives!

… and, I’m sorry, but if you really believe that “savings will be passed on to the consumer”, then you are most definitely living in Cloud Cuckoo Land!
Cretins.
:smiling_imp: