seatbelts

this is the truth but dont ask me to explain :laughing:
car…yes, mostly, but always when my boy is with me.
truck…no, but yes when my boy is with me.
its not comfortable in the truck, too restrictive.

paul

CAR - Always
TRUCK - No, not fitted (98 S reg ERF EC11). Wouls wear if fitted.

I did drive an 03 ERF, fitted with belts, built into seats, very comfortable to wear.

As a St.John Ambulance officer, I have seen the results of RTA’s with people not wearing belts & those who do, It’s grim & I won’t go into details.

SEATBELTS SAVE LIFES. :smiley:

car yes
truck seldom… unless its blowing like buggery :open_mouth:

JONBOY@RH:
car yes
truck seldom… unless its blowing like buggery :open_mouth:

Yeah! That’s the only time I put mine on too :laughing:

I wear them. On modern trucks with the belts fitted to the seats I don’t find them a problem and I don’t experience problems with them locking up when moving forward to get a better view. In fact when driving a truck without a seat belt feels strange now. There is always the chance accident where wearing a seatbelt might prove worse than not wearing one, but in most situations it is going to reduce the injuries you are going to suffer.
However most of the people on this site are a bit older than 18 :laughing: and many have much more experience of driving than me and know the risks of the job so I’m not going to tell you what to do, but please don’t take the micky out of me for wearing one like some have done in the past.

i,m afraid ive got to confess… it s me gov.
never wear them in the car or at work in wagon… the mrs is always telling me off for not wearing them. but my own choice. i feel all trussed up and not comfortable at all with them on. touch wood ive never been pulled for the offence . and ive had many an old bill behind me, where ive thought here we go i,m knicked… but as i say, never been pulled.
thats my own personnal choice. any bugger wants to slate me for it… i.e do goodedr brigade GO AHEAD… :wink: :wink:

I’m the same as Mal,
car-yes
Truck-no

Here in Arizina, it is not compulsory to wear a seatbelt…but…if you get pulled over for an offence and you are not wearing it, you can be given a secondary ticket.

The cops cannot pull you over for simply not wearing a belt, I have had them pull up beside me look at me not wearing it and drive off, nothing they can do, unless they get me for something else.

So No, I do not wear one in my car or truck. And as I drive a gas tanker, I would NEVER wear one, even if it was law, cos if I need to get out in a hurry, its just a hinderance, as one of my ex-Coastal buddies would tell you, had he still been alive.

Stu

Car = Yes
Truck = Sometimes

Only normally wear them in a truck if the weather is bad. I find them too restrictive to wear for 4.5 hours otherwise.

I cant vote in the poll, not enough choices…

Car = yes always
Truck = No, but I would some of the time if one was fitted.

Mal:
Car = Yes
Truck = No

I’m the same.

Car = YES !
Truck = YES !

You get used to them in a truck. However, if a truck hasn’t got one fitted I don’t feel at all comfortable. The only bad thing about them is if you’re negotiating a road junction or manoeuvring, and you need to lean forward, the seat belt sometimes locks and it restricts your steering. Anybody else found that or is it me ?

Always do - car & truck

Didn’t used to until a couple of years ago during winter in a rigid 4 wheeler flatbed at the time with about 9.5 ton on its back.

Was travelling along the A52 towards Boston about 45mph (ish) nothing coming toward me and a van up my arse (not causing me a problem) I came across a slight right hand bend and moved steering wheel accordingly.

:open_mouth: The back wheels must have hit some ice or something because the back end started to slide. I cacked myself - power off and steered into it. The front end was well over the centre line and the back end was too close for comfort nearing the ditch. It straightened out fairly quickly and I continued as normal - shaking a bit and adrenaline pumping well. :blush:

The van backed off and I pulled up as soon as I could to compose myself.

Load still secure but if anything had been coming the other way it would have been a different story.

We all go to work with the intention of going home at the end of the day or week or whatever but we hear and see it so often that someone isn’t going to be driving home any more.

It’s no good thinking ‘it won’t happen to me, things like that happen to other people’

Unfortunately, to other people YOU ARE other people!

Drive safely out there!! :wink:

seat belts -the facts
Wearing a seat belt in the front seat saves over 2,500 lives every year. The law requires anyone in the front or back of a car to wear a seat belt or appropriate restraint, if one is available.

Most people in Lancashire automatically wear seat belts in the front of cars, but they are more likely to lapse when it comes to wearing rear seat belts despite the fact that back seat passengers not wearing seat belts are three times more likely to suffer death or serious injury as passengers who do.

The Excuses

The most common reason for not belting up is because people say they forget and one in six say they don’t bother if they are only going a short distance.
A third of people say that belting up in the back doesn’t occur to them and one in six say it is uncomfortable or they couldn’t find the buckle.
One in ten would be embarrassed to ask a friend to belt up if they were travelling as a passenger in their car.
Did you know that in a crash at 30mph, if you are unrestrained, you will hit the front seat and anyone in it, with a force of between 30 and 60 times your own body weight.

Such an impact could impact in death or serious injury to both yourself and front seat occupants.

The price you pay for the non wearing of seatbelts

It is estimated that some 40 front seat passengers die each year as a result of being hit by a back seat passenger not wearing their seat belts.

A Transport Research Laboratory study revealed that only 54% of adult passengers wear seat belts in the back of the car compared with 94% of passengers in the front.

Since seat belt wearing was made compulsory in 1983 it is estimated that casualties have been reduced by at least 370 deaths and 7000 serious injuries per year for front seat passengers and in excess of 70 deaths and 11,000 serious injuries for rear seat belt wearers.

The penalty for not wearing a rear seat belt is a fixed fine of £30, or if the case goes to court, a maximum fine of £500.

My ERF is not fitted with a seat belt so do not have the choice. If I was to ask my employer would he be obliged to fit one for me?

I always wear mine, whatever I’m driving truck or car.

Except when I’m reversing the wagon, too restricting if I want to stick my head out the window.

The belts built into the seat are really comfy, I find, wish they put them in cars too, cos if you are over 6feet tall, car belts can be intrusive. My only gripe about belts fitted to seats is you can’t put a cover over the seat and use the belts. :unamused:

Would be interested to see those stats Cornish, any chance of posting a few?

Always in the car.
Only recently in a truck, and thats only because the cops here are swines and watch everyone as we pass through tolls etc. In New Hampshire the seat belt rule only applies to under 18’s, so mine comes off as I cross the state line.

Lostpup.

The last accident, I dealt with was yesterday morning. Weather was foggy and light misty rain.

I came across RTA. A Citroen Saxo had rear ended a stationery BMW 7 series at about 45mph. WITHOUT breaking :open_mouth:

Both the lads in Saxo were wearing seatbelts. For some unknown reason the Saxo’s airbags failed to deploy. The Saxo is a right-off. The BMW is scratched. There were no injuries in BMW.

The lads in the Saxo? Driver walked to Ambulance with mild shock, the passenger, taken to hospital, minor whip-lash, released same day. :smiley:

THINK OF THIS :question: :bulb: What if they were not wearing seat-belts?

:arrow_right: :arrow_right: I wish to add, I am not criticising anyone for not wearing belts, I am not personaly attacking anyone, the choice at the end of the day is yours, I am mearly relaying my own experiences :bulb: :bulb:

car yes, wagon yes. i kicked up such a fuss to have them fitted to the wagon X reg iveco. i dare not wear them.

never worn one.if I put one on it makes me feel naucious