Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

bubbleman:
Hi again,heres a few more old motors…some nice stuff from Wales,Cheers Bubbs :wink:

The first shot of the Entress tri axle is interesting as it has twin wheels on the middle axle. I believe this would be an attempt to alleviate what was serious tyre wear and failure on those early tri axles, the idea was good but in practice they were a disaster and more-or-less disappeared from the scene by the early 70’s. It wasn’t until the advent of 38 tonners that the trailer industry responded with a far better set up which included wide track axles and what was termed the “mini” super single in the shape of the 22:5 x 365 tyre. We ran a huge number at Bewick Transport and they gave very little trouble although we only ran new cases and no remoulds which of course minimised failure. The other configuration that was a failure IMHO was the tandem axle widespread and this again fizzled out because of horrendous tyre wear, the spec was fine in theory as you had a 20ton bogie i.e. two 10ton axles and they were actually a very smooth ride coupled to a 4x2 unit compared to the close coupled tandems. Tyre wear on both the widespreads and the new spec tri axles was always most heavy on the N/S front ! Cheers Bewick.

TruckNetUK.Old Time Lorries.Scrapbook Memories.Page 477.Bootle Police Motor Vehicles.VALKYRIE.Tuesday,20th February,2018.

Ray Smyth:
These 2 pictures are of Bootle Police vehicles. Many years ago, the County Borough Of Bootle was a town in its own right.
Bootle is now part of the City Of Liverpool, and the local Bobbies are now Merseyside Police.
Thanks to Peter Walsh for the pictures, Peter was an HGV Driver with Jarvis Robinson Transport, Canal Street, Bootle.
Click on the picture for the script. Regards, Ray Smyth.

With respect,the second vehicle,EN 3061, in the second photograph is not a Buick motorcar.The registration is Bury,Lancashire,and dates from
circa October 1926 and all Buick motorcar models from this period had exposed flat radiators. At first glance this motorcar appears to be a Bentley

• probably a 3-Litre - but on closer inspection I’m almost certain that it’s a Crossley Silver or Golden motorcar model,complete with the prominent
    round Crossley radiator badge positioned at the front apex of the exposed radiator.

Buick Master Series Model 26-54C County Club Sports Coupé Motorcar,maroon,1926:-

google.co.uk/search?q=1926+ … 9089705946

google.co.uk/search?dcr=0&b … 9092045124

Crossley 18/50 Landaulette Canberra Motorcar,maroon,1926:-

collectionsearch.nma.gov.au/object/37911

google.co.uk/search?dcr=0&b … 9089977321

VALKYRIE

Ray Smyth:

rigsby:
I love the dustmen picture , which one is GOM ?

Grumps is the Gadgy on the right, Face like a bag of spanners. Looks like he has lost a quid and found a shilling. Ray.

No I dont think so,he’s in the back having a rummage!!!

David

Frankydobo:
That is an early Mammoth Minor of Anderson’s, there is a view of this same vehicle taken from the offside in Graham Edge’s Mandator book, so maybe a few were took on the day. Reckon they must have got the Apprentice to knock that number plate up! :slight_smile: Franky.

And they were official AEC photographs whose copyright is now with the BCVM Archives. I paid quite a lot of money to use official photos such as that in my Commercial Vehicles Archive Series of books, so it’s a bit galling to see that someone has put “Copyright Photograph” on it. :frowning:

gingerfold:

Frankydobo:
That is an early Mammoth Minor of Anderson’s, there is a view of this same vehicle taken from the offside in Graham Edge’s Mandator book, so maybe a few were took on the day. Reckon they must have got the Apprentice to knock that number plate up! :slight_smile: Franky.

And they were official AEC photographs whose copyright is now with the BCVM Archives. I paid quite a lot of money to use official photos such as that in my Commercial Vehicles Archive Series of books, so it’s a bit galling to see that someone has put “Copyright Photograph” on it. :frowning:

Hello again,Gingerfold…I am sorry that you are offended that I put the copyright on the photograph,it was purely on there to save the pic being copied and sold on by dealers.I made it clear when I started putting these old photos on that they were not my photographs and some were not the best but a copyright was put there to protect them.
I will stop now putting these pictures up and once again I apologise for any offence and I will delete the picture.
Bubbs

No need to do that Bubbs if it was you. I guessed, wrongly, and I apologise to you, that they had been bought on a stall at a swapmeet or rally somewhere and that the vendor had stamped them. I know that your intentions are good, so I’ve no problem with that. I paid £15 per photo for reproduction rights for my books. In the end the costs were unsustainable, which is a pity. There are hundreds of thousands of interesting photos in archives that will never see the light of day because of unreasonable reproduction charges. GF

DEANB:
Nice pic of the Glyn John Atkinson Bubbs !

Heres another one of a Entress Volvo F86 !

Hello DEAN …super shot …of Entress on carbon black work …probably returning to Jersey Marine from one of the Midlands tyre factories …but they did haul the stuff to Scotland as well …Geraint

Ray Smyth:

rigsby:

Grumps is the Gadgy on the right, Face like a bag of spanners. Looks like he has lost a quid and found a shilling. Ray.

I think the more accurate saying at that time was “lost a shilling and found a tanner” if he lost a quid then he would have cut his throat ! Cheers Dennis. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

rigsby:

Oi Oi Oi… :imp: :smiley:
The bin men earned their money in those days and they were fit fellas, remember most households had open coal fires and the burnt ashes had to be cleaned out every day and dumped…in the bin. The bins were b loody heavt but those lads could swing em up onto their shoulders and dump em in the bin lorry, not like today, wheel the bin to the back of the lorry, hook it on, and press a button.
I liked the photo of the Bickers of Dewsbury lorry. Bickers is sadly long gone together with most of Dewsbury.

A few from the Turners of Soham scrapbook

gingerfold:
No need to do that Bubbs if it was you. I guessed, wrongly, and I apologise to you, that they had been bought on a stall at a swapmeet or rally somewhere and that the vendor had stamped them. I know that your intentions are good, so I’ve no problem with that. I paid £15 per photo for reproduction rights for my books. In the end the costs were unsustainable, which is a pity. There are hundreds of thousands of interesting photos in archives that will never see the light of day because of unreasonable reproduction charges. GF

Hello again,Thanks for your reply GF,I totally understand where you were coming from,I have more pics today but I have changed the watermark so it may be clearer that the picture was not taken by myself…it seems pictures from the Scrapbook are finding themselves on facebook and I’m getting the credit for taking the photograph…it seems the copyright watermark clearly has given the wrong impression.Anyway GF when I see you again(I was in the same room with you at Coventry last month when Pete Davies did his presentation) I will make a point of saying hello…ok
Heres todays pics…Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

AEC Mandator OJE 146M was one of 15 bought in 1973/74 for the new British Sugar Contract, a contract that Turners would retain for the next 30 + years. Note the upright exhaust pipe, a stipulated requirement of BSC.

Great photos of Turners,a company I remember well.Had many a lift with their Norwich and Manchester trunkers early 60s.

Some more from the Turners scrapbook

One of the small International fleet, which was a relatively short-lived trial of European 'fridge work.

Two of the six Volvo F10s used on the Bridge Farm Dairies contract.

One of the Volvo FL10 British Sugar Contract vehicles

Volvo FL10, typical of the fleet at the time

Wards of Frosterley, Co. Durham was a Turners acquisition, and this ERF was helping out on the annual sugar beet campaign

One of our old drivers worked for Turners on powder tankers for a few years after leaving Via Gellia transport, he rang in one day for work and was apparently asked “Do you work for us then?” so decided it was time to pack the job in then as they obviously wouldn’t miss him! :unamused:

Pete.

Hello again,Great Turners shots GF …keep them coming,more old motors again today.Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Another one of Crow’s.

Hi again,great pic Dean…well done mate,heres todays stuff,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Some nice pics Bubbs !

Is Jacques a french name ?

The Blue Line Foden reg OTG 773L was also photographed by Paul ! :wink:

A00500.JPG

DEANB:
Some nice pics Bubbs !

Is Jacques a french name ?

The Blue Line Foden reg OTG 773L was also photographed by Paul ! :wink:

Hi Dean,

Jacques were a heavy haulage outfit from Watford,dark blue motors.

David