Scottish Middle East Hauliers

bedgar047:
Jim,
Geordie Scott lives in Newtown St Boswells has been retired for about 2 year now. You are correct his brother Bill was or maybe still is a woodcutter. Sandy his younger brother who drove for Salvesen , Ashley and a few others passed away a while back
Regards
Brian

Thanks Brian.

Looks like a trip out on the motorbike this Summer!

Bill was the name I just couldn’t remember. How could that be!

Have memories of St Boswells, sent to Jelliott. Must post them on here.

John.

John,
I grew up in newtown from the age of 7. mucked about with Mitchells when at school. I will try and find Geordie’s phone number. I do know what house he’s in it’s on the auld main road right opposite the road end next to school.`

bedgar047:
John,
I grew up in newtown from the age of 7. mucked about with Mitchells when at school. I will try and find Geordie’s phone number. I do know what house he’s in it’s on the auld main road right opposite the road end next to school.`

If you see him Brian, tell him that I was asking after him. Memories of him and Bill, also Jimmy, Rob, Morag and Marion Hunter, who lived on Weirgate Way. Also another lad who loved auto cross motor bikes, who’s name I cant bring to mind.

One of the good things about being called John West is that people usually remember your name!

John

Good to see that Geordie Scott is still with us and enjoying his deserved retirement.

I worked with Geordie at Dobsons Edin and at Scomo+Eskside Ltd on the Middle East many years ago.

Here is a couple of pics of the big man relaxing in Germany being week ended and one enjoying
his cuppa (whatever is in the cup lol) I found on the web…

Scotnat:
Good to see that Geordie Scott is still with us and enjoying his deserved retirement.

I worked with Geordie at Dobsons Edin and at Scomo+Eskside Ltd on the Middle East many years ago.

Here is a couple of pics of the big man relaxing in Germany being week ended and one enjoying
his cuppa (whatever is in the cup lol) I found on the web…

Brilliant pics, thanks Scotnat.

John

I have an inkling that I,ve met your Geordie Scott several times I think it was while I was with Alison,s Dundee when he was with Dobson Edinburgh… it may have been when frequenting Lawsons Cafe at Catterick !! late 60,s … thinking about it he may have been with “Croan for Kippers” then again it may have been with I think another Edinburgh mob "Sutherlands " who had green Fodens and carted sawdust well where ever or who ever I recognize him from the distant past… we all used to play the “Bally Machines” at a tanner ago these were great times hard but great ■■?

backsplice:
I have an inkling that I,ve met your Geordie Scott several times I think it was while I was with Alison,s Dundee when he was with Dobson Edinburgh… it may have been when frequenting Lawsons Cafe at Catterick !! late 60,s … thinking about it he may have been with “Croan for Kippers” then again it may have been with I think another Edinburgh mob "Sutherlands " who had green Fodens and carted sawdust well where ever or who ever I recognize him from the distant past… we all used to play the “Bally Machines” at a tanner ago these were great times hard but great ■■?

Hi I was with Croan and Dobson in the 60s I know Geordie worked with Dobson don’t think he was at Croan’s
your right about Lawson’s cafe Croan used it on the Melton Mowbray Trunk with the herring to pet food factory Dobson also used it
as did a lot of others lol

Just noticed Scomo + Eskside Ltd of Musselburgh & Broxburn has started a thread on Truck Net also has Web Pages
about there History & Truck Pics remembering there Middle East days. I thought it was very interesting.
The link to it is scomo-eskside.org

I have decided to delete this post as it is attracting abuse from another member.

Back to Geordie Scott briefly … I wonder did he by chance have a wee while in the merchant navy ■■? anybody know ■■

Scotnat:
1Now we are gradually getting over winter and the bad weather snow and ice.:slight_smile:

Is it not about time to save accidents and hold ups that UK hauliers started using snow chains when necessary ?

For instance in my opinion this accident would not have happened if this truck in the pic had the option of snow chains.

I have witnessed a good few accidents in Turkey in snowy conditions that could have been prevented
if the drivers had taken time to fit their chains.

Nice set of doubles pictured below.

Chains wouldn’t be any use on a slushy road as shown in the picture.

If you’ve ever used chains you’ll know that they will fall to pieces in about a mile on tarmac or concrete and they will self destruct if you go over 25mph through centrifugal force.

I have decided to delete this post as it is attracting abuse from another member.

Look at the road surface in your picture, if you would chain up to run on that then you must be mad! There’s barely half an inch of slushy snow on that road. Using chains on that would be like running on square wheels.

Scotnat:

newmercman:
Look at the road surface in your picture, if you would chain up to run on that then you must be mad! There’s barely half an inch of slushy snow on that road. Using chains on that would be like running on square wheels.

You are maybe in the driver category. I don’t need snow chains, That I have seen off the road in Turkey and elsewhere.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Hang on chaps before you get into it, can I just go and pull up a chair? :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Scotnat:

newmercman:

(Quote) There’s barely half an inch of slushy snow on that road. (Unquote)

You are looking at a different picture from me Or seeing what you want to see. As it is not possible to get a
true estimate of the snow condition from the pic. I seen it on the STV news that day.

If the driver in the pic had snow chains and used them he would be at his destination not in the ditch jack knifed.

You are maybe in the driver category. I don’t need snow chains, That I have seen off the road in Turkey and elsewhere.

So the driver in the picture in the jacknifed Daf would need snow chains so he wouldn’t jacknife, but you don’t need snow chains yourself.

Looks like we got us a genuine supertrucker here…

If the bloke that jacknifed had had a decent set of tyres probably instead off slick he might have been still on the road. Goes for a lot of companies running around the UK on bare minimum tread in winter.

backsplice:
Back to Geordie Scott briefly … I wonder did he by chance have a wee while in the merchant navy ■■? anybody know ■■

No Geordie Scott was never in the navy

bedgar047:
If the bloke that jacknifed had had a decent set of tyres probably instead off slick he might have been still on the road. Goes for a lot of companies running around the UK on bare minimum tread in winter.

How you can see the treads or lack of in the pic is a mystery to me.

I decided to delete my posts on the subject of snow chains in the UK.
As a member in this discussion on the subject resorted to abuse.
Him being a Form Moderator and his first post on this thread.
I would have expected reasonable discussion on the subject if he has an interest.

It was reasonable discussion, you said about snow in eastern Turkey and that you thought chains would’ve prevented that lorry jacknifing. I disagreed, stating that the snow in the picture you posted wasn’t deep enough for chains.

You then said I’m just a driver or something along those lines and that you wouldn’t need chains.

I took this to mean that you thought you were better than anyone else and I called you a supertrucker, now you’re offended.

Did I miss anything out?

newmercman:
It was reasonable discussion, you said about snow in eastern Turkey and that you thought chains would’ve prevented that lorry jacknifing. I disagreed, stating that the snow in the picture you posted wasn’t deep enough for chains.

You then said I’m just a driver or something along those lines and that you wouldn’t need chains.

I took this to mean that you thought you were better than anyone else and I called you a supertrucker, now you’re offended.

Did I miss anything out?

Yes you seem to have deliberately misread the line below or did not understand. It starts YOU not I

This line means YOU newmercman are in the driver category (always saying) I don’t need chains.

YOU are maybe in the driver category. I don’t need snow chains, That I have seen off the road in Turkey and elsewhere.

I have always used chains went appropriate and never waited till the snow was a certain depth by then it is 2 late.

From the pic I posted there was no way you could have judged the depth of snow. Plus you can use chains on any depth of snow
it is entirely up to the driver. The ones that make the wrong judgement end up off the road.

I judge you by looking at some of your past posts a very argumentative and sarcastic member.