Keith Headley Middle East

hiya i rember ye dad when i was runing to greece i used to run a few older scanies 111 and and old 141 but packed in after a while and went on for a few irish companys ye dad used to call me shirly 2 sheds lol and there was another guy who ran a fodden who used to run to greece with your dad quite a lot had a few good runs with him down there :smiley:

Hiya mick…i posted a photo of your dads DAF on the old dafs site. i nosied my space cab up to yours.
it was a cold snowie day at Heywood. i’d love to see a picture of your dads lorry when it had a better paint job.
i used to see him alot on the M62. did your dad do the conversion â– â– ? i know it was too old to be a
proper space cab DAF as mine was the first one. it went to the motor show. great lorry your dads
it must have plenty of history if only it could tell us. looking forward to a photo or two.
sorry about the loss of your dad.
cheers John
Hiya i’ve just been to get you this from P bucket

John

Mick Headley:
Do any of you old truckers remember my old man Keith Headley , I am his son Mick we used drive two 2800 daf,s around the middle east in the late 70s- 80s I packed in drivin late 80s but my old man carried on till he died france on the 20th April 1995 .

I remember Keith from doing Greece in the 80’s and I do remember the stretched DAF now John has posted it again.

hiya… looking at the 2 dafs you can see the door handles are replaced, they look like F12… look at the door window line,
on mine its level on keiths the window slopes down, you can’t tell if theres a quarter light or not as the mirror arm is in the way.
the cab is about 4 inches lower than mine. theres no rubber wing below the door, and not to mention the loooonnng bunk.
the cab is on par with pat searls volvo…dose annyone know where the DAF ended up.
John

mushroomman:
Hello Mick, was it you or your Dad with the blue D.A.F. who used to park next to I.C.I. Heywood in the late eighties ?.

Regards Steve.

Hi steve long time since i have been on this site we had two 2800 daf,s they where both orange with TK Transport across the front we where pulling falcongate trailors to bagdad :laughing: :laughing: great fun good laugh

Hello Mick it’s good to see you on the site :smiley: I have just noticed that Shirly Temple mentioned that your dad used to run with a guy who had a Foden, could this of been Wilf Mellors son whose name at the moment I just can’t remember, it could of been Ian Mellor from Heywood :confused: .

Regards Steve.

i remember a chap in bolton who was known by the name pip headley , is this the same chap ? i remember he ran a garage somewhere in bolton i just cant remember where it was :blush: i have a vague recollection it was up st helens road …

Mick,I remember your dad very well and can still see in my mind that DAF being redesigned in Neil Hardys yard in Radcliffe Bealeys Ind Est, I ran with your dad and Jimmy the Wig many times to Greece.Regards Crow.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Mick,I remember your dad very well and can still see in my mind that DAF being redesigned in Neil Hardys yard in Radcliffe Bealeys Ind Est, I ran with your dad and Jimmy the Wig many times to Greece.Regards Crow.

Hi Crow, when you mention Jimmy the wig, do you mean Jimmy Hacking?
Rgds. Jimbo

Yes Jimbo the very same Jimmy ran on our O licence until we all packed it in his last jobs as i remember were as a white van man ,regards Crow.

Crow, have a look on the Astran / Middle East Drivers thread, I just put a pic up of Jimmy`s old 89.

Cheers, Jimbo.

would that jimmy hackin 89 still be around regards rowland

rward:
would that jimmy hackin 89 still be around regards rowland

Hi Rowly, yes shes still around, shes being restored and has a mint condition cab from Sweden ready to go onto her!!

jimbotruck wat part of the country is it in id like a look regards rowland

Hi Rowly, not sure where she is now or how the restoration is going, I sold her about 7 years ago to a boy from Shropshire and have since lost touch with him .

hi jimbo reason i asked i heard it was in that area but i havent a clue who told me and as im having a full rebuild on my 89 you can sometimes learn something when looking at another its bloody hard work regards rowly thanks

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Yes Jimbo the very same Jimmy ran on our O licence until we all packed it in his last jobs as i remember were as a white van man ,regards Crow.

This one was sent to me by a friend of Jim’s. I hope he will allow me to post it here.

Top bloke Keith was, I’m sure there was another thread on here I posted on about Him…

Wheelnut Jimmy had quite a collection of old tractors as well as a few 89s in various stages of disintegration including an ex Norman Lewis one still in it s original Hoyer colours all kept on his dad s farm at Horwich and also a 3 litre Sweeney style Ford Granada which in his words would pass anything other than a filling station. Crow.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Wheelnut Jimmy had quite a collection of old tractors as well as a few 89s in various stages of disintegration including an ex Norman Lewis one still in it s original Hoyer colours all kept on his dad s farm at Horwich and also a 3 litre Sweeney style Ford Granada which in his words would pass anything other than a filling station. Crow.

I remember that Norman Lewis one Geoff I went to see it Myself in a yard somewhere not too far away Bolton maybe?, I remember finding out Jim had bought it later, seems like forever ago now…