Scania Vabis LV type

Top stuff Richard,

1. There must have been more than eight- I have thirteen different cabs in my files already, not including BeGe and Ackermann!
  2. I was under the impression that Paul e van Weelde and Roset were one and the same, as if P e v W gave the name Roset to their cabs. The pictures on the internet sometimes carry one name, sometimes the other.
    3.Are these De Graaff? If so, that’s another one with a name to it!

disselkoen.JPG

167539_501936589302_4547233_n.jpg
4. Your point about coachbuilt cabs being offered alongside their factory-built cousins may well be appropriate to the LV story. As I have mentioned before, some of the LV cabs have LB76 grilles, van Eck ones being particularly common with this. A post on the Scania Vabis thread mentions that, on the bonneted SVs, some operators preferred the older coachbuilt cab to the post-1966 factory item. The steel-panelled van Eck looks particularly impressive- I wouldn’t mind betting that some Dutch buyers insisted on it, even when the LB76 was available. There are at least two such vehicles in preservation- I wonder if either of them is built on a 76 chassis?

Hej Stellan,
An LVS71 Longline, although I doubt they called it that! It looks superb- surely the King of the Road in 1956. I take it the driver was less impressed with the Volvo rigid at the bottom of the page. :laughing:

PS Whose cab is on the Mercedes- it does not look like either Kässbohrer or Wackenhut, the two popular Merc cabs?

Niels has just confirmed to me that the truck I posted a photo of on 29 July is a 1962/3 model with a De Graaf cab, and it does look similar to the second truck in your post.

Richard Stanier:
Niels has just confirmed to me that the truck I posted a photo of on 29 July is a 1962/3 model with a De Graaf cab, and it does look similar to the second truck in your post.

Great- another piece of the story in place! Well done that man.

The two cabs in my above post are actually the same shape, the second one merely has a different front panel and wheelarches. It makes sense that these are the 1962/63 model, the other must be the earlier version. Here’s another:

This just leaves another half-dozen or more coachbuilders to identify- happy researching, everyone!

Scania-Vabis made a bus model called CF66, and it had almost the same headlights as the Lv-model… disregarding that the bus had horizontal lights, could the Dutch used the same lights on the lorry?

Found this great picture on the net:
dayerses.com/data_images/posts/s … -65-05.jpg

/Stellan

Autotransit:
Scania-Vabis made a bus model called CF66, and it had almost the same headlights as the Lv-model… disregarding that the bus had horizontal lights, could the Dutch used the same lights on the lorry?

Found this great picture on the net:
dayerses.com/data_images/posts/s … -65-05.jpg

/Stellan

It seemed to be a style common at the time. The Rondaan and early de Graaff cabs bore some similarity to these Jonckheere- bodied S-V buses:

LV75_1962.jpg

alad56scaniaxb630417yi.jpg
Keep it coming gents- we’ll have enough for a very nice book-eventually!

I’ve been trying to identify the coachbuilder of “Big LV” and the other one which seems to share its badge. All I can come up with is this rubbish:

The c*r is bodied by Verheul and both lorries are Verheuls; they appear to have a similar badge to the two LVs. Please bear in mind that there are a hundred other Verheuls on the internet, none of which has a badge like these. The badge could be that of the Dutch AA, RHA or similar organisation. Not conclusive. Anything better will be appreciated.

Evening all, great day harvesting, so quick that I can have an hour in the office before its “prepare for the morrow” time!!

[ZB], I will be brief, and as this is a Scania thread, (and Im not a Scania man)! Those Verheuls shown on your bottom photographs: The large V on the radiator grill was their “trademark”. (whichever way the operator/driver chose to show it)! The smaller badge is the “mark”, of Verheuls work, and the key “identifier”.

The lorries were Kromhout designs, either Rolls Royce, or licence built Gardner, 4, 5, or 6cylinder varient powered. Verheul having acquired Kromhout in1961. Verheul itself having been acquired by AEC, (ACV), in 1960. The emphasis was on bus production, (a Verheul speciality). Lorry production ended about 64, or 65 if I remember correctly! But Verheul provided cabs for other chassis, Mercedes, Scania, and domestic DAF, at the same time!

Verheuls origins were as a bodybuilder, and cab manufacturer, and according to my wifes cousin , Graf Van Daal, the “big LV” is a Verheul cab. Why does he know, well his father ran two such examples from their base at Aalst.

Hope this is of interest, Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Evening all, great day harvesting, so quick that I can have an hour in the office before its “prepare for the morrow” time!!

[ZB], I will be brief, and as this is a Scania thread, (and Im not a Scania man)! Those Verheuls shown on your bottom photographs: The large V on the radiator grill was their “trademark”. (whichever way the operator/driver chose to show it)! The smaller badge is the “mark”, of Verheuls work, and the key “identifier”.

The lorries were Kromhout designs, either Rolls Royce, or licence built Gardner, 4, 5, or 6cylinder varient powered. Verheul having acquired Kromhout in1961. Verheul itself having been acquired by AEC, (ACV), in 1960. The emphasis was on bus production, (a Verheul speciality). Lorry production ended about 64, or 65 if I remember correctly! But Verheul provided cabs for other chassis, Mercedes, Scania, and domestic DAF, at the same time!

Verheuls origins were as a bodybuilder, and cab manufacturer, and according to my wifes cousin , Graf Van Daal, the “big LV” is a Verheul cab. Why does he know, well his father ran two such examples from their base at Aalst.

Hope this is of interest, Cheerio for now.

Yes. It is of the utmost interest, to this obsessive. This leads me to ponder my fascination with 1950s coachbuilt sleeper cabs, not least so I have an answer ready for the men in white coats, when they finally catch up with me. I reckon it is because the productivity of the designers in these little firms was such, that it gave the coachbuilders a decade’s head start over the vehicle manufacturers themselves, them with their offices full of brains. Using Scania Vabis as an example, it took them until 1968 to produce a cab comparable with (superior to?) the best of the coachbuilders’ work, and that with the assistance of a certain Mr. Sherrow. The first batches of LVs, other than the odd few one-offs, were delivered in 1958, according to my reading. The coachbuilders are therefore worthy of celebration.

My desire to identify the builder of “Big LV” forced me to interrogate, fruitlessly, Google with the incisiveness of those white-coated men, yet the answer has come from your own human acquaintance, Mr. van Daal. I then pondered the limitations of the internet, but concluded that its beauty is that it can be used to transmit, as well as receive, information- in this case, my request for information. Whatever, this electronic tool embodies more progress, than the motor industry has created since the LV was the latest thing. Without it, we would not be collating these minutiae of history at all, but an LV would still deliver the same load as a 21st century lorry.

Before this transmission becomes too ponderous, down to business! Your account of the Verheul “badge policy” almost confirms my wilder speculation upon it- that vehicles of predominantly Verheul manufacture would carry the large chrome “V”, while those vehicles constructed, in the main, by others (Scania Vabis, in this case) would carry the smaller “crown” as an acknowledgement of the coachbuilder’s part in the work. Is it the case that both LVs on the above collage are Verheul-cabbed? If so, why would they do two completely different ones? Could it be that the one on the right bears a Verheul “crown”, simply because the driver put it there? Please take this as rigour, not scepticism! If Mr. van Daal has photographs or other details, that would add well-toned flesh to the bones of the story.

That brings me to another tentacle of the monster- can anyone provide enlightenment on these two?

According to my fumbling translation of the text accompanying the photographs, one is in Belgium and the other may be in a sunnier place! Whatever, they both appear to be extant. The one on the towbar look as if it is on the way to be restored. Note the LB76 grille, LB76-like doors and wheelarches and, most intriguing of all, van Eck-style headlamp panels. Could this be the last throes of van Eck as a cab-builder, before the LB110 gobbled up the market?

I have some other leads, but they relate to other tentacles, and I ‘ve gone on long enough already. Another day… Once again, thanks for indulging my interest, and hopefully that of others.

Correction to the above post- the two photographs show the same vehicle; it has simply acquired a dent in the grille, on its way to the tarmac-ed yard. What a crossed-eyed dope I am!

There’s some more on this Fliker site for you mate.

flickr.com/photos/bertus10/6 … otostream/

Cheers Jamie

NZ JAMIE:
There’s some more on this Fliker site for you mate.

flickr.com/photos/bertus10/6 … otostream/

Cheers Jamie

Thanks Jamie- what a find; your detective skills exceed mine. There is a type there that I have not seen before:

From a distance, it looks like a Werkspoor cab, but it is unlike the others of that type- maybe it is a very early one, built before they had made the full set of fibreglass moulds?

The one being restored brings the total number in preservation- of which I know- to seven. One superb van Eck-cabbed example is here:
veranstaltungen2011.fwv-staufen. … _setz.html
They also have, amongst a fine collection of all types of vehicle, an LB76. I will visit this museum in the next year or so- must save up some pocket money first- I wonder if they will let me conduct a Pat Kennett-style Test Match between the two?!

(In addition, there are some interesting vieille camions Francais on that Flickr photostream.)

Here’s the last of the (so far) unidentified LVs I have found on the internet:

179647_501936124302_52648369302_5919616_3192256_n.jpg

180791_501936179302_1999958_n.jpg

lv76.jpg

what1.JPG

kopiaav0902200720scaniava1.jpg

In addition, referring to the unidentified LVs earlier in the thread:

1. The two appearing to bear Verheul badges- are they both Verheul cabs? Incidentally, I’ve noticed that the P&vW-cabbed example at the top of this thread has two such badges on it! Monsieur Saviem, does Mr. van Daal have any photographs or memories of the vehicles you mentioned? Some first-hand knowledge of the lorries would be great.
  2. The steel-cabbed example on the tow-bar in Belgium- could this be a prototype, BeGe-cabbed LBS76? The caption under the picture calls it an LBS75, although I can’t understand the rest of the text.

The CM archives yielded this report on the 1962 Amsterdam Show, in which a Werkspoor LV75 was exhibited:

The text says that the cab was “designed” by Beers. This lends weight to the thought that the other Beers-commissioned cab was the van Eck one, given that it looks similar to the Werkspoor one. Maybe Beers sent the same stylists’ sketches to both coachbuilders? I prefer the van Eck cab, based on what I have seen- it looks more of an “engineered” effort to me, with its formed steel panels. One is tempted to wonder when these Beers cabs were first built, given that the LB76 was launched in 1963. Maybe they imagined that they had a viable competitor to the “factory” job? I look forward to visiting one of the restored examples, which live around Europe, so I can have a proper look- I am willing to wager one of Monsieur Saviem’s Black Country black puddings, that the interior was finished to a more luxurious standard than the LB76.

they could easly been build until the 0 series where introdused as you could get a76 and a110 bonneted whitout cab to early 70,s. think the 110 whit tilt cab killed the very last :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: cheers benkku

bma.finland:
they could easly been build until the 0 series where introdused as you could get a76 and a110 bonneted whitout cab to early 70,s. think the 110 whit tilt cab killed the very last :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: cheers benkku

Hej hej Benkku. Hopefully, I will find the mythical “LV76” some day! For now, here is a Dutch Beers brochure for the 55 and 75 series, kindly sent to me by Richard Stanier:

Can anyone identify the coachbuilders of the cabs of these vehicles?

[zb]
anorak:

bma.finland:

Hej hej Benkku. Hopefully, I will find the mythical “LV76” some day! For now, here is a Dutch Beers brochure for the 55 and 75 series, kindly sent to me by Richard Stanier:
Can anyone identify the coachbuilders of the cabs of these vehicles?

not me,but can be a inspiration for my pencil maybee :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,cheers benkku

I have been sniffing around the CM archives again, like the feral dog that I am. This de Graaff-cabbed LV was exhibited at the 1959 Amsterdam show:

I have found out that the LV was more or less a “production” job by Beers, starting from 1958 (other forward-control Vabis’ were built before this, some on B71 bus chassis, many with BeGe cabs)- they did all the engineering, including providing a subframe for the cab. Onto this, any coachbuilder could add his shed.
The one in the show looks like a really professional job. Look at the height of the engine cover- the high-cabbed versions must have had a virtually flat floor. What a shame they bottled out of making it a tilt cab.

Since the last time I looked, some more wierd and wonderful S-Vs have cropped up on the internet. What about this oddity:

It is a Roset steel cab, but mounted much lower than the other LVs by this coachbuilder. I thought it may have been one of those pre-1958 jobs, built before the LV went into production, but it has what looks like an LV badge on the front panel. Maybe it was a low-profile special for the car transporter trade?

If anyone has any information about these vehicles, put it on here!

one of the best looking,in my opinion :wink:

Looks even better, when mounted at the usual LV height, in my opinion! :smiley:

402189_291301384238414_100000756633931_759219_552721135_n.jpg
LVs must have had the most spacious cabs of all of the lorries of the early 1960s. Some of them look even bigger than these Roset-cabbed vehicles, although it is difficult to tell, without interior shots.