Scania Vabis Sleeper cabs

Can anyone remember if any UK hauliers ran Right Hand Drive Scania Vabis LB76’s with Sleeper cabs ?
I know there were plenty of Day cabs running around the UK - But can’t remember any RIGHT Hand Drive with a sleeper cab :open_mouth:

Could be a bit of a challenge for Bubbs or LB76 Eh :wink:

Trev.

Hi Trev,Yes mate there were a few,some had sleeper conversions made here in the UK and a couple came over from Sweden with the factory option.One example was MEE667G which went to John Somerscales which I think is still around.Bill Robbins (LB76) has shots of SVB300F and WAH 777H on Fridged Freight and these had sleepers on during their time on the fleet and dont forget the 2 Astran Vabis’s UHM25F and UHM26F but of course these were Left hookers
Heres one though,its ex Beck and Politzer. :smiley: …Cheers Bubbs

Nice one Bubbs :wink: I did’nt think there were many others apart from the obvious ones, who done the conversions -Unity?

Trev.

Hi Lemonmouth, I have 100’s of Scania-Vabis pics but not so many of LB76 sleeper cabbed ones. i dont know why they were not imported in such numbers as the 110’s think maybe the unions had some thing to do with it - were people scared of incurring the wrath of t’ shop steward lol! i was aiting until the 141 thread had died down a bit before launching one on LB’s but you might have tipped my hand now!

Looks like an old Volvo grille on there

Thanks for those few Bill, I thought you and Bubbs would come up with something :smiley:

I’ll send you a PM

All the Best
Trev.

Hi Lemonmouth ,
I can remember a Scania Vabis LB 76 6 wheeler in the mid 1970s , which was fitted with a sleeper conversion/extension . It was a cattle wagon , with a Williams livestock body fitted , aprox . 26 long .
The cab was painted white , and the sleeper was a fibreglass moulded section , - only basic , - but built for the purpose .
IIRC , there was no signwriting on the cab , but I seem to recall the owner came from the Merseyside/Cheshire area.

As this type of Scania was uncommon on livestock haulage in those years , this is why I can remember it .
The owner or haulier might have been a pig dealer , because it was usually parked close to the pig buildings in Preston Auction Mart
on the sale days , - Tuesdays . I can not recall seeing it at any other Auction Mart , only Preston.

Sorry I am unable to give any more details , but , YES , there were sleeper conversions on Scania Vabis LB 76 cabs .

A final thought , - the extension resembled the idea of those made by Unity Conversions of Bolton on the ( later )
Scania 80/81 cabs .
Good Luck .
Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Here you are CWM,one of two LWB '81’s we had converted at Unity,Bolton.With being LWB they were a nice ,well balanced,motor much better than converting a standard WB tractor unit.

This is a shot of the finished article,painted and lettered.
I ordered them both with Mich XZA’s all round plus XZA spare,then we took the tyres off the drive axles and the two spares made up 5 sets of 1100 x 22.5 steer axle tyres,which worked out a lot cheaper on wheels at OE price than buying them off our tyre suppliers as new cases only !! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis ,
Thanks for the quick reply . Youre always on the ball ` , - unlike the numpties at Widnes !

It was only on reading-back my previous post , that I realised I had omitted to say that the LB 76 sleeper extension sides were elongated , and the rear corner windows were blanked out .

I try to put my “two’penarth” in CWM,if it helps !!! This is a shot of a standard WB '81 with sleeper conversion,slightly older chassis than the two LWB motors,not a good shot but obviously a couple of foot shorter which gave them a “boxy” look.

How about the poor old ■■■■■■■ the right denis? deserves saving surely ?

LB76:
How about the poor old ■■■■■■■ the right denis? deserves saving surely ?

IIRC “LB76” that old Badger had finally finished the job I bought it for years previously,namely as an internal shunter in the Paper Mill at Beetham.It had been returned to the depot for an appointment with the Gas Axe !!! One thing about the old girl and the reason we bought it was the Leyland 600 didn’t smoke when running cold like the Gardners did.So it did set the fire alarms off in the loading bays !!!Shot during it’s “working day’s” in the Mill !

grahams commercials at carlisle (scania dealer) have a sleeper cabbed vabis restored

Lovely pic Dennis , it’s not till you see one these days that you realise how short the wheelbase was !
and thanks to f88 for the info on the LB76 i have seen that and it is very nice!

LB76:
Lovely pic Dennis , it’s not till you see one these days that you realise how short the wheelbase was !
and thanks to f88 for the info on the LB76 i have seen that and it is very nice!

Bit off thread “LB76” I know ,but getting back to the Scania Vabis I recall that John McGuffie,who’s Flat side of his business I bought out in '74 had previously run a Scania Vabis which origionated secondhand from W H Malcolm.He had sold it on prior to me buying him out and IIRC it was an F reg motor but it was quite an impressive performer at 250 BHP when compared to a Scania 80 or a180LXB Atki which he had run previously to aquiring the Scania Vabis.Cheers Dennis.

LB76:

The car in the 2nd pic . . . is that a “Polski Fiat”? :open_mouth:

Suedehead:

LB76:

The car in the 2nd pic . . . is that a “Polski Fiat”? :open_mouth:

Hi Sueehead ,
I think you are right , it is a Polski-Fiat .
They were the worst-ever imported heap of rubbish . I bought a new P.F. ( later renamed F.S.O. ) Pick - up in
1978 , and it was so heavy on fuel that it needed a bulk tank fitting in the back .
It was a dead loss , and I told the Managing Director of F.S.O. exactly what the 3 initials stood for when I met him at the N.E.C. show . He was not amused when I called the company`s name to be " F*****g Sad Objects " !!!
Even scrapyards refused to accept them , because the rubbish motors gave a poor impression to their business .

No that was a Fiat 125/4 the twin cam one, it was Jimmy McCluskey’s car that went with the job of transport manager.