Scania Engines

nsmith1180:
Hi all,

Please save me from the temptation of a Renault!

In other words, please try and stop you letting your head rule your heart?

The Renault would offer the grunt, I also believe Renault will be selling the High cab version with RHD soon.

How many times have people written on here about new O/D’s going for the brand new, full spec flagship motors, then struggling to pay for it? Surely it would be better to get yourself established and then if you doing ok after 5 or 10 years treat yourself to a flagship motor.

I assume as you have a Demo truck it’s quite well specced, what sort of spec are they quoting you on, my recent experience of a 730 is that even a truck like that can be quite basic, unless the extras are specified.

I.ve had new trucks in the past before but now i.m of the opinion the moneys better in my bank and i.ll stick with my 6yr old MAN

Muckles, I’ll comment on your points when I get on my laptop if I could. As always you make good points and I hate typing on smartphones.

chaversdad:
I.ve had new trucks in the past before but now i.m of the opinion the moneys better in my bank and i.ll stick with my 6yr old MAN

I appreciate that but the money is in your bank because you own your 6 year old MAN. I don’t own the Mercedes, it’s rented so I could either find 50 grand to buy that, then hope it doesn’t break, or I can spend 65k over three years and have no mechanical worries and a new truck which meets ULEZ regs.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Stuff the lez ,it wouldn’t matter how much the jobs paying who wants to go anywhere inside the m25 or even on it ,I’ve done more than my share of it, I’ll be sticking with the 17 yr old lorry and the money in the bank .infact I don’t even want to go south unless it’s down the m5 .

I’ve been in the OP’s shoes recently, churning over the decision to stick used, or cash in for something shiny. Of course much of the decision is affected by short/medium term business plans; what you haul, and where; as well as your heart…my conclusion after much deliberation:

If you’re sector is very niche, buy the truck new and spec it exactly how you need it.

If you’re kit doesn’t need to be special, I’d personally plum for a nearly new truck with good warranty left on it; but build up a R&M kitty for the things which will need replacing in the coming years; then run that truck until it no longer meets your needs (ie: its either uneconomical to keep going, or unable to haul what you need to shift).

A V8 looks and sounds nice. But does it make a good business decision? Heavier, less efficient overall, premium to purchase. I see plenty on 4x2 fridge work which I just don’t get…

Punchy Dan:
Stuff the lez ,it wouldn’t matter how much the jobs paying who wants to go anywhere inside the m25 or even on it ,I’ve done more than my share of it, infact I don’t even want to go south unless it’s down the m5 .

What he said. :grimacing:

i had a look round past scania at sheffield tonight and the yards still full of ex stobart 440’s that look to have been there a while

muckles:

nsmith1180:
Hi all,

The Renault would offer the grunt, I also believe Renault will be selling the High cab version with RHD soon.

How many times have people written on here about new O/D’s going for the brand new, full spec flagship motors, then struggling to pay for it? Surely it would be better to get yourself established and then if you doing ok after 5 or 10 years treat yourself to a flagship motor.

I assume as you have a Demo truck it’s quite well specced, what sort of spec are they quoting you on, my recent experience of a 730 is that even a truck like that can be quite basic, unless the extras are specified.

Yes, basically the head says Renault and the heart says Scania. But, the backup with Scania is better if something goes wrong and it’s less likely to go wrong in the first place than with Renault. Then there is the thought that if I want to recruit and retain decent drivers, a Scania is a better bit of kit than a Renault, so the job will be a little bit easier.

The RHD T-High is coming but it will come at a £5k premium and there is no guarantee it will hold that value into the used market. I don’t think that with the T-Normal being the size that it is, that the T-High is money well spent. Until a few years down the line when I’m looking for a fleet flagship.

How many times have I written on here about O/d’s running ‘willy waving V8 Toplines’ and going pop because of it?? One of threethings has happened here; Either

A) my dislike of the old Scania has blinded me to the business case for running an old V8 Topline or

B) the performance of the new Euro6C 6IL 13l is so blunted that a new business case has opened up for running a V8 as a fleet motor or

C) I’m guilty of the same ‘Oh Shiny’ blindness I’ve previously accused others of.

In my defense I’m not proposing a V8 Flagship. I’m looking at the baby V8 purely on the torque output and driving characteristics. It was genuinely alarming how much the 450 struggled on the A34. I’m also not looking to spec the ■■■■ off the thing. I’d put on the driver pack, for the seat adjustment and DAB, the comfort pack for the fridge and extra storage, the safety and security packs because you don’t take chances with either of them and then a couple of chassis customisations;

Single big fuel tank, a safety measure and cost saver; Safety because passing the nozzle between tanks spills diesel on the catwalk creating a slip hazard and cost saver because if the ■■■■■■■■ do go after my diesel, there is less to repair after the fact. It would also let me go for the big AdBlue tank on the other side, because the demo unit drank like a sailor.

Uprated batteries: Because I have a fridge and a big inverter running and its better to go ott with the batteries than pay call outs when the driver runs it flat.

Inside the only options not added by a pack would be delete top bunk, specify rear shelf because you can never have too much storage in a lorry.

If the dealer chucked in a lighting pack to shift a stock unit I wouldn’t say no but its not important enough to me to pay for it.

The demo wasn’t actually overly specced. It was a standard spec normal roof 450 with comfort pack and nav. Everything else was as Eddie would buy it. If it wasn’t for the head room, and the lame donkey powering it, it would consider having that when the demo fleet was done with it.

el_presidente:

Punchy Dan:
Stuff the lez ,it wouldn’t matter how much the jobs paying who wants to go anywhere inside the m25 or even on it ,I’ve done more than my share of it, infact I don’t even want to go south unless it’s down the m5 .

What he said. :grimacing:

A fair point but I’m not willing to turn away decent paying work because I don’t like the post code, not to mention the fact that with 27 clean air zones planned around the country, Euro 4 and Euro 5 are soon going to become unworkable.

el_presidente:
I see plenty on 4x2 fridge work which I just don’t get…

That I never understand. How much horsepower does it take to shift 26t pallets of carrots to Sainsbury’s?

If your buying new why not spec it on the new truck. Just spec a fridge in it your talking about spending 65 k over 3 years so why not spec the interior you want for distance. Still go for the 500 it’ll he better on fuel forget the v8 payload will be better with the 500 too

nsmith1180:

muckles:

nsmith1180:
Hi all,

Yes, basically the head says Renault and the heart says Scania. But, the backup with Scania is better if something goes wrong and it’s less likely to go wrong in the first place than with Renault. Then there is the thought that if I want to recruit and retain decent drivers, a Scania is a better bit of kit than a Renault, so the job will be a little bit easier.

The RHD T-High is coming but it will come at a £5k premium and there is no guarantee it will hold that value into the used market. I don’t think that with the T-Normal being the size that it is, that the T-High is money well spent. Until a few years down the line when I’m looking for a fleet flagship.

How many times have I written on here about O/d’s running ‘willy waving V8 Toplines’ and going pop because of it?? One of threethings has happened here; Either

A) my dislike of the old Scania has blinded me to the business case for running an old V8 Topline or

B) the performance of the new Euro6C 6IL 13l is so blunted that a new business case has opened up for running a V8 as a fleet motor or

C) I’m guilty of the same ‘Oh Shiny’ blindness I’ve previously accused others of.

Did you get a quote for a 500 highline or topline, and can you actually stand up in a highline?

No doubt the new Scania is a great truck, the reviews seem to say it pretty good, but I think you’re trying to justify a new Scania and will manipulate the figures to make it look feasible. As you want to run a fleet, put those figures in with a full-time drivers wages, expenses and a bit of profit.

When you were an employed driver did you only want to work for somebody who had Scania’s or did you look for decent employers who paid and treated you properly, I know what I’d be looking for and I know what many other good drivers would be looking for?
One of the places I’ve been working has had a few T Ranges on hire, despite some initial scepticism from those that drove them they actually quite liked them by the time they returned from the trips, the only complaint was lack of storage, but then they were basic hire/fleet spec without a top bunk or rear lockers.
I would have thought anybody who took a job because they were driving a Scania would be expecting a V8 and plenty of bling and would leave you like a shot as soon as somebody else had a better Scania for them to drive.

Why are you thinking of buying a new truck, instead of leasing it?
And what’s wrong with a new T range on lease and R&M?
Must be cheaper, money you can use to build the business or as a buffer for the unexpected, something you’ve already experienced.

muckles:
Did you get a quote for a 500 highline or topline, and can you actually stand up in a highline?

No doubt the new Scania is a great truck, the reviews seem to say it pretty good, but I think you’re trying to justify a new Scania and will manipulate the figures to make it look feasible. As you want to run a fleet, put those figures in with a full-time drivers wages, expenses and a bit of profit.

When you were an employed driver did you only want to work for somebody who had Scania’s or did you look for decent employers who paid and treated you properly, I know what I’d be looking for and I know what many other good drivers would be looking for?
One of the places I’ve been working has had a few T Ranges on hire, despite some initial scepticism from those that drove them they actually quite liked them by the time they returned from the trips, the only complaint was lack of storage, but then they were basic hire/fleet spec without a top bunk or rear lockers.
I would have thought anybody who took a job because they were driving a Scania would be expecting a V8 and plenty of bling and would leave you like a shot as soon as somebody else had a better Scania for them to drive.

Why are you thinking of buying a new truck, instead of leasing it?
And what’s wrong with a new T range on lease and R&M?
Must be cheaper, money you can use to build the business or as a buffer for the unexpected, something you’ve already experienced.

They don’t do a topline anymore. Three roof heights, the flat roof, the ‘Normal’ and the Highline as the top of the range.

At the moment I am trying to find the right spec of Scania. Then I can make a straight comparison of Dimond vs Griffin. As a blind test I will also be presenting the numbers to a family member who is a business manager but who knows little of trucks. It will be a simple truck A vs truck B, which would you go for question. Only if it’s very tight will the heart be allowed to sway.

I’ve long been a fan of the T-Range, in fact I used to be a bit partial to the premium. I think of it as a very guilty pleasure. The Ultimate top bunk sorts out the rear wall storage problem a bit.

When I say buy I mean acquire. I always intended to acquire on a lease, its a lot easier to keep current on emissions etc if you don’t own the thing outright. If you own outright there is always the temptation to stick with it because the truck ‘owes you nothing’ or the problem of getting ready for a change then the damned thing breaking down on you and upsetting the fiscal apple cart.

I have some figures which may help you

I run Scania’s and go down the A34 quite regularly from Birmingham
R580 9.5mpg
R520 9.75mpg
R450 10.5mpg
These are averages I got back gross at 30-40t

Although I love the V8’s and I don’t regret getting them. The R450 is a cracking truck all round and the eco roll is brilliant! I would have a look at the new 500 engine as it gives that little bit more all round and no compromising on the fuel. The scania will easily out power your current Merc cause I also have a Merc and it’s crap on power! The R450 I have is one of the best trucks I’ve ever had

I’m going to have a demo soon so It’ll be nice to see how it compares to my current fleet. I think my dealer has a S500 demo so when I get my hands on it I’ll let you know what that returns

JSingh:
I have some figures which may help you

I run Scania’s and go down the A34 quite regularly from Birmingham
R580 9.5mpg
R520 9.75mpg
R450 10.5mpg
These are averages I got back gross at 30-40t

Although I love the V8’s and I don’t regret getting them. The R450 is a cracking truck all round and the eco roll is brilliant! I would have a look at the new 500 engine as it gives that little bit more all round and no compromising on the fuel. The scania will easily out power your current Merc cause I also have a Merc and it’s crap on power! The R450 I have is one of the best trucks I’ve ever had

I’m going to have a demo soon so It’ll be nice to see how it compares to my current fleet. I think my dealer has a S500 demo so when I get my hands on it I’ll let you know what that returns

Fantastic info. Thanks.

Good to hear you’re getting fair money for heading to the SE. I did it a few times and just found it too much hassle.

If a 500 V8 lacks a bit of grunt, couldn’t you get it remapped/chipped up. ■■ Save a bit of outlay against a 580?

kindle530:
If a 500 V8 lacks a bit of grunt, couldn’t you get it remapped/chipped up. ■■ Save a bit of outlay against a 580?

They don’t do a 500 V* or a 520 anymore, the 580 is the baby of the range as of last week apparently and the 500 is a 13l 6 in line engine now.

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:
Those Scania figures don’t look too bad compared to the rented Merc.
Would maybe hazard a guess that the S580 would be more than £30week higher as it would be “desirable” but maybe surprised!!!

Do the figures stack up brand new V8 on £1.30/40mile on boxes or are the rumoured mileage figures well out??

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

This is week 4 on boxes so I should have enough data now to work out a mileage rate, I’ll check that later for you. And if the numbers add up on the Mercedes, they should be fairly close on the scania. As we say, probably £25k ish more to buy but tonnes of second hand O/d curb appeal so will likely keep 20 at the end of the line.

Throw in the fact it’s Euro 6C and will be hitting the used market just as the ULEZs are starting to bit on older trucks and. All signs are encouraging.

BigTruck, I’ve gone back over the invoices I have and compared them to mileage. Its working out an average 0.80/km or £1.28 per mile. Running and standing costs together are coming out at 0.81/mile at the moment. All figures are plus VAT.

nsmith1180:

kindle530:

They don’t do a 500 V* or a 520 anymore, the 580 is the baby of the range as of last week apparently and the 500 is a 13l 6 in line engine now.

Your Scania sales rep needs retrained there is a S520 V8 or McAlonan has been duped for his 6 new yokes!!!

It’s a recent change in the range, like this month apparently.

nsmith1180:
It’s a recent change in the range, like this month apparently.

When I said new they arrived in his fleet about April roughly!!!
Near sure the S520 V8 been avail from the beginning.

All his previous V8s were R500 so natural progression.[emoji6]