550 v8 actros

lorry had to go in thursday prep for mot monday boss told me take this bunch of keys pick a unit for 2 days :smiley: spoted a 61 plate 550 v8 actros ooow why not me thinks jeeeeeeeeeeeesus now i no why i can never cach gunner heskey thinks ill get back in me basket :frowning: :frowning:

The top merc is about 600bhp isn’t it, rare as anything though.

I seem to remember one of the police programs, the truck they were using was an 1860 or something similar.

They are rare aren’t they. Most who want 500bhp+ seem to opt for the FH16 or Scania V8.

Terry T:
They are rare aren’t they. Most who want 500bhp+ seem to opt for the FH16 or Scania V8.

Rare in this country maybe, but here in austria/germany theres plenty about. Naturally alongside the scania’s and volvo’s.

Gutless wonders these , drove plenty of these with different engine sizes Large and smaller and always found them hopeless on a steep incline , they are known for being bad pullers.

VOLSCADAF:
Gutless wonders these , drove plenty of these with different engine sizes Large and smaller and always found them hopeless on a steep incline , they are known for being bad pullers.

Dunno i had a 54 plate Mp2 with a 460 and it went very well

chaversdad:

VOLSCADAF:

My old 52 plate 530 also went very well, providing you kept the revs up and worked it a bit and didn’t let it lug down to much…was hard to recover lost revs! If only my lot had spent a couple of hundred ‘on the right’ part and not chucked thousands just replacing parts, I might still be driving it!

I got a MP4 64 reg 510bhp, and the equivalent Scania I reckon would be a 420!

chaversdad:

VOLSCADAF:

my 11 plate 480 hops on abit but i no what you mean abought hills you hav to keep on top of it but most of the time i carnt be botherd just let it do its own thing

My ‘P’ plate F888 TD100b 290 was bl**dy brill!

Steve

The more power and torque you have, the better you’ll pull up a hill. (As long as he gearing is not ridiculously high) So I think the problem is one of perception, nothing more…

newmercman:
The more power and torque you have, the better you’ll pull up a hill. (As long as he gearing is not ridiculously high) So I think the problem is one of perception, nothing more…

Probably true - in my 10 years of driving Mercs I found you need to drop a cog and wind them up before a hill - then they aren’t too bad!

I drive a 64 plate 450 and am convinced that it can read! Everytime I or it sees a sign saying “slow lorries” it duly obeys. For that reason I am mainly in the shed this weekend knocking up some blinkers to cover the headlights (like you used to get on the scrap mans pony) I shall report my results tomorrow.

the maoster:
I drive a 64 plate 450 and am convinced that it can read! Everytime I or it sees a sign saying “slow lorries” it duly obeys. For that reason I am mainly in the shed this weekend knocking up some blinkers to cover the headlights (like you used to get on the scrap mans pony) I shall report my results tomorrow.

German you see, great at obeying instructions.

I drove a 2014 Actros to Poole yesterday. First time i’ve driven one.

The cabin was superb, better than a volvo in my view. Seat was very comfy and the general fit and finish was a step above everything else.

The gearbox wasn’t very good though, if you manually whacked it into a low ratio when coming up to a roundabout it was ok but not a patch on the volvo.

However, it did seem to struggle up the hills in a way that the Volvos don’t. Going up one of the hills between Southampton and Poole I think it slowed down to 35 ish.

I think its 460 bhp must be Pit Pony power not great big horses.

Having said that I would forgive it a bit of a lack of poke for the comfort of the cabin.

ROD, you know you’ll wazz all over me on the flat, but by the time we got to a hill, you’d already be home :smiley:
Just nice to have oodles of room !
All said an done, it’s nice to have a V8 550 !
But at the end of the day it’s still a merc, nice & comfortable, roomy but come up against anything comparable & you’ll lose big time .
Followed one of our 540 FHs out it Ratcliffe & going up markfield bank on the M1 J23-22 he left me for dead !

gardun:

newmercman:

Probably true - in my 10 years of driving Mercs I found you need to drop a cog and wind them up before a hill - then they aren’t too bad!

I totally agree there you have to be one step ahead .

gunnerheskey:
ROD, you know you’ll wazz all over me on the flat, but by the time we got to a hill, you’d already be home :smiley:
But at the end of the day it’s still a merc, nice & comfortable, roomy but come up against anything comparable & you’ll lose big time .
Followed one of our 540 FHs out it Ratcliffe & going up markfield bank on the M1 J23-22 he left me for dead !

Think I’ve seen your name plate, Lomas Distribution?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

waynedl:

gunnerheskey:

Think I’ve seen your name plate, Lomas Distribution?

:smiley: yep thats me mate :sunglasses:

Mercedes do something that other companies don’t. They perfectly compromise power and fuel consumption. They are not the best pulling trucks but they certainly aren’t in the bottom half of the worst, but you will get top top fuel consumption from them. I’ve noticed a lot of companies paying that little bit extra for a Merc now because these companies are slowly realising that over 3 or 4 years, having a top truck and saving gallons of fuel actually pays for itself, the companies are happy and the drivers are happy.