550 v8 actros

that wasnt the case with the vee engines. mercs pull just fine but they need to be revved.

In a Merc vee, I was told to let her lug down to about 1000 rpm at which point the green band will light up, and then change down a full gear.

Of course that would only be on the steepest hills. If the hill wasn’t so steep and you could get away with half a gear then go for it.

DaiDap:
In a Merc vee, I was told to let her lug down to about 1000 rpm at which point the green band will light up, and then change down a full gear.

Of course that would only be on the steepest hills. If the hill wasn’t so steep and you could get away with half a gear then go for it.

That’s how you should drive any modern high torque, low revving engine.

Drop whole gears and split on the way back up if necessary.

The thing with the Merc Vee engines is that they sound lazy, drive one with the radio turned right up and they’re as fast as any other lorry with comparable power and torque.

me arse .let them die and you will be passed by 100hp lesser trucks at the same weight. still a great truck all told.

ellies dad:
me arse .let them die and you will be passed by 100hp lesser trucks at the same weight. still a great truck all told.

Bang on :confused: