New truck

I’m
Looking at buying a 8x2 curtainsider it will be carrying a moffett mounty on the back I’ve been priced on a Scania G360 is this one a better truck than a Volvo? and 2 does it have the power ?
Or what would you recommend
Thanks Andrew

About 4 yr ago when looking for a similar chassis the Volvo equivalent was about 15% cheaper. Having driven both I campaigned for the Volvo and a bigger engine, in the end we found a great used R series so that was that.

I spoke to one local tipper operator who’d started using the 360 engine and they were not impressed, subsequent new vehicles on their fleet plus many others around have been 400’s

When I had my first 8 wheeler in 2006 it was a 420, quite rare as most were smaller engined. Now with emissions regs getting tighter everyone seems to be going bigger plenty of 420s on the road and a fair amount of 460/480 vehicles plus an odd few that are bigger.

I used to drive a Scania 360 wag+drag and it was fine fully freighted, also drove a Daf 360 artic and that pulled fine too.

Not that many years ago, a 360 would’ve been a powerful top of the range unit, now you’re saying it’s under-powered for an 8 leg rigid? :open_mouth:

I would say in this day and age a 360 is underpowered for an 8 wheeler. We have got a 6 wheeler rigid Premium with a 380 in it, the driver says it doesnt slow down fully freighted. If i was after a 8 wheeler i would be looking at at least 400bhp minimum.

It does seem like the engines are getting bigger is this all to do with the new reqs I know the merc I’m driving has 285hp yet it can’t get me up the hills unless in 2nd its crap something to do with Ad Blue ■■■■■ the power, but my old 1998 Scania P230 goes up same hill ok.

I’m driving (or would be if I wasn’t off sick) a Renault Lander of that spec, 8x2 with rear steer. That’s got a 430 in it which is well up to the job.

Our firm use those and Volvo FM on the bagged feeds. They’ve got the manouverability of a 6-legger with the bonus of a 16.5 tonne payload. Downside of course is body length, mine holds 14 pallet base but we usually split two pallets and double 'em up on the headboard, which you have to do of course if you’ve got a Moffett on the back. Averaging 9.2 mpg.

I’ve used both and overall prefer the Renault. It’s done over 100K now and the only faults have been a failed relay on the rear steer and a cracked radiator, both of course replaced under warranty. Drives nicely, high-top sleeper means loads of cab space; having all the controls on the steering column takes a bit of getting used to but I quite like it now.

One downside to the Renault; you can’t dip the oil unless you tilt the cab. Yes I know you’ve got a digital readout but I’m old and ugly enough not to trust them.

Depending where you’re based and where you operate it might be interesting to see what Hino could do for you, they appear to be virtually indestructible as tippers and grab loaders.

No harm in making the inquiry.