SCANIA 142's

First truck i bought,think about 1997,never let me down,sold her in 2001,think she is still alive,can anybody confirm this please,ta,Pete [D375LYA]

Made a start yesterday and got quiet a bit done

ERF MAN:
That a nice Scania Davidoff, I have a similar 142E in the workshop now, imported from Cyprus. 160000 km and a day cab, just sprucing it up for the shows

Sorry for my late response Monsieur ERF, I had not been on here for a while.

That seems like quite a find you made there in Cyprus. Do you know why such low mileage on yours? How many previous owners did she have?

Last weekend I breastfed her 30 litres of 15W40 and did the oil filters including centrifugal cleaner.
For those who drove and sometimes maintained them, the below pictures might revive some memories…
I hope you enjoy.

Regards
David

Davidoff:

ERF MAN:
That a nice Scania Davidoff, I have a similar 142E in the workshop now, imported from Cyprus. 160000 km and a day cab, just sprucing it up for the shows

That seems like quite a find you made there in Cyprus. Do you know why such low mileage on yours? How many previous owners did she have?

Hi Davidoff, Cyprus is a small island hence the low km, it’s a three owner truck I know the last two. The truck is an 83 and has been on crane ballast since 2002. Mileage is genuine. Yours is a stunning truck and was quite a find also, Dougie Drake

M A Hird of Rotherham

ERF MAN:

Davidoff:

ERF MAN:

Hi Davidoff, Cyprus is a small island hence the low km, it’s a three owner truck I know the last two. The truck is an 83 and has been on crane ballast since 2002. Mileage is genuine. Yours is a stunning truck and was quite a find also, Dougie Drake

Hi Dougie,

Well for a 31-year old 160’000km implies some 5’200 km per year on average, that’s low by any standards unless you are confined in Monaco, Andorra, Lichtenstein or Vatican city.
But then having been on crane work her age should probably be accounted for in hours as much as in km. Same for mine btw, she was pulling a timber logging trailer with crane and I expect she did quite a bit of stationary work.

Enjoy the re-do mate, and send us some pictures as you go along. I think I am not alone in enjoying pics of the on-going restoration process as much as pics of the job when completed.

Regards
David

My apologies Davidoff, but I had forgot about this thread and have just come across it again. Our resto project on the 142 is about 8 weeks in and we’re planning to be at the retro show on a month. I’ll try and post some pictures for you tomorrow. DD

hey Davidoff, the strongest and the first.

Bye Eric,

A very luxurious engine indeed Eric, on the way back from Locomotion I tested her in the French Jura mountain range before reaching home in Nyon, those mountains were quite a test but she coped so well. And the sound of course remains a real delight as well.
And Dougie / ERF Man, I am looking forward to seeing those pics!

gr8 thread I can still remember being 22yrs old pulling out jade transport yard in new 142 eminox/ally/wheels loaded for Italy what a sound . then over the years thru 143/144/164/ but that 142 something special.

slighty off this thread but linked in 1970 or 71 when we had the 3 day week I was 17 and worked as a labourer in a big wood and carpentry factory in harringey and they had 2 scania v8 engines as generators so we could work a full week, not sure if they would be the same engine they put in the lorries but kept me in full wages at the time, fredm

Davidoff:
A very luxurious engine indeed Eric, on the way back from Locomotion I tested her in the French Jura mountain range before reaching home in Nyon, those mountains were quite a test but she coped so well. And the sound of course remains a real delight as well.
And Dougie / ERF Man, I am looking forward to seeing those pics!

142 Restoration 036 058 (Small).JPG

142 Restoration 036 027 (Small).JPG

142 Restoration 036 022 (2) (Small).JPG

142 Restoration 037 028 (Small).JPG

142 Restoration 036 003 (Small).JPG

142 Restoration 037 075 (Small).JPG

142 Restoration 037 058 (Small).JPG

142 Restoration 036 050 (Small).JPG

142 Restoration 036 004 (Small).JPG

Cyprus 140 074 (Small).jpg

Hey Douglas!

Fantastic job you and Chris have done there!
The orange rims look very smart with the grey on the chassis.
Guess it’s a really rare sight with the daycab not only in britain.
Will you keep her as a tractor or will you built a box on it?
Looks like gaydon will be very surprising this year!

Cheers!
Jörg

Unterflur:
Hey Douglas!

Fantastic job you and Chris have done there!
The orange rims look very smart with the grey on the chassis.
Guess it’s a really rare sight with the daycab not only in britain.
Will you keep her as a tractor or will you built a box on it?
Looks like gaydon will be very surprising this year!

Cheers!
Jörg

Thanks Jorg, we’ve done a lot in a short time but it’s been good. She always been a tractor unit from new and we will keep it as original as we can.

Retro show 4 weeks today and look forward to seeing you all then

Nice result, it’s a lot easier when you have all the right gear…

Jeff…

Jelliot:
Nice result, it’s a lot easier when you have all the right gear…

Jeff…

Thanks, we’re lucky in that respect

It indeed looks like stunning work Douglas. She will be looking like new!
Did you open the engine up and do any repairs or just a good paintjob?

Keep regailing us please!

Davidoff:
It indeed looks like stunning work Douglas. She will be looking like new!
Did you open the engine up and do any repairs or just a good paintjob?

Keep regailing us please!

thank you Davidoff, we have replaced the clutch, the master cylinder, the filters, all the fluids including gearbox oil and one small hose. i know both the last two owners and know its 160000 km history well. its always had what its needed but it hasnt needed much