Scammell

pv83:

DEANB:
Here you go Patrick some sheds ! :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Absolute automotive β– β– β– β–  that is mate, cheers! :laughing: :laughing:

Your easily pleased then chap !! :unamused: :wink:

DIG:

pv83:

DEANB:
Here you go Patrick some sheds ! :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Our Aussi Leyland/Scammell fleet Patrick the Mastiff was mine driven by my dad,I drove the Crusader with the A/C ,as you can see I was inducting my son into the Scammel way i don’t think β– β– β– β–  was on the agenda though.lol.
They had a hard life pulling triples in the cattle/general freight industry of northern WA.
Cheers Dig

Brilliant pics Dig, what size lump was in the Crusader’s !

An Aussi Atkinson advert !

atkinsona.PNG

SCAN0137 %281%29-001.jpgPlayed with it a bit in Picasa

DEANB:

DIG:

pv83:

DEANB:

Our Aussi Leyland/Scammell fleet Patrick the Mastiff was mine driven by my dad,I drove the Crusader with the A/C ,as you can see I was inducting my son into the Scammel way i don’t think β– β– β– β–  was on the agenda though.lol.
They had a hard life pulling triples in the cattle/general freight industry of northern WA.
Cheers Dig

Brilliant pics Dig, what size lump was in the Crusader’s !

An Aussi Atkinson advert !

Thank you Deano,your not doing a bad job your self.
They had 318hp Detroits 15speed R/Rs One had Maudsley diffs and hub reduction which gave us some trouble so the one i drove had the big Leyland diffs and hubs a big improvement.
Cheers Dig

moomooland:
0Played with it a bit in Picasa

MML that was a really good job I might send all my old faded pics to you lol.
Cheers Dig

Click on picture to view full size.

moomooland:
0Click on picture to view full size.

Someone can refine this list but here goes! In the centre: Scammell Scarab, Leyland Beaver, Austin A40, Vauxhall Victor, Ford Consul.
In the outside lane at the traffic lights: Vauxhall Cresta, Austin Cambridge, Hillman Minx, Triumph Herald, Vauxhall Velox.
In the nearside lane at the traffic lights: Kew Dodge truck, Atkinson (I think) 4-wheeler, Humber Hawk, Austin Cambridge (earlier shape), Ford Zephyr, Ford Popular, 3 cars I can’t make out, and at the back a P4 Rover. Robert

Taken in 1971, WH Poultney of Horn Lane Greenwich. the Beast as we called her, 1942 vintage iirc. Was used on our fleet of Marshalls, would pull a house down. 22mph on a good day.
Broke it’s back behind the cab after a long hard life.The chap on the right, Rog, was an 8th Army veteran who could get that old girl do do the impossible.

501fd2488918874c606d62820d663dbf.jpg
Geared up for winter n a spot of coal moving I’d guess

coomsey:

Looking at the sprung taildoor I would say that is one of Tarmac Aggs fleet based up at Longcliffe, their work was mostly lime to spreaders etc from either Prospect quarry or Middleton Mine.

Pete.

windrush:

coomsey:

Looking at the sprung taildoor I would say that is one of Tarmac Aggs fleet based up at Longcliffe, their work was mostly lime to spreaders etc from either Prospect quarry or Middleton Mine.

Pete.

Never thought of that, welcome to it as well Pete

Bringing this back to the top with a couple of Contractors from Israel (badged as Leylands over there). Those were assembled by Leyland Ashdod in the late 60s, I think they delivered about 250-300 chassis, fitted with either β– β– β– β– β– β– β–  250 or 335 and Fuller 15sp boxes. All had the high datum cab. I have it on some authority from my Israeli contacts the Contractor in fact came to be after Leyland Ashdod was asked to provide the Israeli market with something heavier than the Leyland Hippo, as well as a part of a deal to supply IDF’s next tank transporter to replace the Diamond T 980/981.

The first lorry I guess is somewhere in the Sinai desert during the 73 war - many civilian lorries were conscripted because the IDF’s lorries could not meet demand in what was an emergency. Second pic (by Yossi Shinuk) is of a tipper used as water bowser to supply IDF forts in Lebanon during the 80s.

Back to the top with another Israeli Contractor badged as Leyland at the Eilat port. High datum cab marks it as one assembled by Leyland Ashdod. Other lorry is a Mack B61, very popular in Israel in the 60s.

Been a while since this thread had an update…

Scammell Lyons.jpg Nice Scammell publicity photograph

Line up of brand new exported Scammell Crusaders pictured at the dealers in Australia.

Presumably, the lettering on the missing panel above each radiator should read β€˜NOW’, or even β€˜NOT’! Robert

Scammell%20Aust.jpg

A Scammell 4x2 tractor unit operated by Shell-Mex and BP Ltd seen here heading through Trafford Park Manchester.

Scammell Routeman tanker operated by BP pictured at the junction of Quicks Road and Merton Road in Wimbledon.

Not the best of photos, But certainley the best Of a great British made wagon The Good Old Scammell built at Watford, Driven by my late Grandfather, Thos William Hope Smiles, Brother of the late Isaac Smiles the founder of the famous haulage firm Smiles for Miles from Blucher Newcastle upon Tyne, Regards Larry.

J L Townson Tankers of Oldham ( Photo M Milburn )

Lawrence Dunbar:
Not the best of photos, But certainley the best Of a great British made wagon The Good Old Scammell built at Watford, Driven by my late Grandfather, Thos William Hope Smiles, Brother of the late Isaac Smiles the founder of the famous haulage firm Smiles for Miles from Blucher Newcastle upon Tyne, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry thought i would do a bit of restore job on your photograph. :smiley:

Currie%2527s Scammell-001 (1).jpg