Scammell Crusaders

Nuttall

This Crusader went a long way to die:

Hi stevecook I wonder who was operating that? I can’t quite read the name on the headboard

Another Sykes Bulk Liquids:

stevecook:

What happened to Sykes Steve , they are a local company i totally forgot about being a kid when they were around

ramone:

stevecook:

What happened to Sykes Steve , they are a local company i totally forgot about being a kid when they were around

They packed up in the '80s Ramone leaving Shawfleet run by the transport clerk to soldier on with owner drivers and subbies.

Wrong badge - sacrilege!

EDTRUCK:
Hi stevecook I wonder who was operating that? I can’t quite read the name on the headboard

Looks like it could say DCE rentals on the tilt

stevecook:
Wrong badge - sacrilege!

I think that’s a Portuguese reg plate. They seemed to like their LHD 6x4 Crusaders! Here’s a picture of one I took in Lisbon docks in the mid-'80s. I suppose it could be the same one at a pinch - it, too, carries a Leyland badge! Ro

We had a few, all daycabs though.

file-2.jpeg

Found on the 'net:

JVM896V2.jpg

stevecook:

Not sure that’s a Crusader - an FTF maybe?

Cheers, Keith

kmills:

stevecook:

Not sure that’s a Crusader - an FTF maybe?

Cheers, Keith

Swing-out radiator, UK-style headboard: Crusader I’d say. There’s a brief account of it somewhere in the first hundred or pages of the Astran thread. Apparently, it was in eastern Turkey. Needle in a haystack job! Ro

To me the Crusader was a Butch Lorry, unlike these new fangled foreigners with their curved panels and sloping windows. When Mercedes brought the 1418 square cabs over they were too namby pamby for me. We were still spray painting Atkinson Borderers and Bedford TK for local hauliers

Just a detail. I know 4x2 Crusaders had 9-sp Fullers as standard but can anyone remember 9-sp Fullers in 6x4 Crusaders with Rolls 280, 290 or 305 engines? There are examples on here of 6x4s with Detroit 8V71 + Fuller 9sp. Also, I long ago posted on the LHD Crusaders thread an example of an export to Russia with a Rolls 305 and a Fuller 9-speed but that was a bit of a one-off factory job. Be interested to know. Ro

ERF-NGC-European:
Just a detail. I know 4x2 Crusaders had 9-sp Fullers as standard but can anyone remember 9-sp Fullers in 6x4 Crusaders with Rolls 280, 290 or 305 engines? There are examples on here of 6x4s with Detroit 8V71 + Fuller 9sp. Also, I long ago posted on the LHD Crusaders thread an example of an export to Russia with a Rolls 305 and a Fuller 9-speed but that was a bit of a one-off factory job. Be interested to know. Ro

Will have a look and get back to you Ro. They did offer a spicer 10 speed. :wink:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Will have a look and get back to you Ro. They did offer a spicer 10 speed. :wink:

Cheers, Dean! Tried a Spicer 10-speed once but couldn’t get on with it. Mind you, that was in a knackered Sed-Atki 301 and the Scammell installation was bound to be better!

Later Crusaders (early '80s) could be supplied with Rolls Eagle 290s. Were these simply tweaked up 280s? Or was there a significant development change there? Also, how did the 290s compare with the earlier 305s? Be interested to know.