Scammell crusader + any old wreckers/recovery

saw this on the east lancs,freshly painted n workin for its keep.
spoke to driver at lights,goes like stink apparently…but not as keen on stoppin tho!sounds well too!

resized

I love Richardsons address:

Wellyhole Street
Oldham

just brilliant :smiley: :smiley:

Theres a couple of gems in their yard.

what have they got?

Here’s another one up North Wales; I can vouch for the fact that it’s still working! :blush:

I will always have a soft spot for Crusaders, i drove one for Pickfords Heavy Haulage to start me through the NFC Graduate Training Scheme and university!! Usually pulling railway carriages from Metro Cammell for the Hong Kong Metro system

fryske:
what have they got?

They have a flat-front Atkinson 8x4 (WMP 63) which is restored as a flat but was originally a tanker on the Nestle fleet.

They have a Seddon DD8 tipper, which was formerly a sugar tanker (working on contract to British Sugar)

They have a Seddon-Atkinson 400 tractor unit which (I think) is still used to take trailers to test. (don’t have a pic - but I believe 240 & atkiman have)

They also have the Crusader as pictured above

doesnt show in pic,but richardsons is only a 4 wheeler,not as usually spotted,a 6 legger.think he said it was black b4 repaint? still love a drive o one tho :wink:

yep pretty sure richardsons crusader used to belong to millers of longton,they are black trucks,have pics but my computer/photobucket have got haywire!

I was going to say it looked very much like Millers old Crusader (at least the gear on the back) - but then that was (at one time) an 8-wheeler, and prior to that a 6-wheeler. If it gets cut-down any further it’ll be a BMX…

While we’re on about Millers of Longton, whatever happened to Desperate Dan??

this one’s still working in suffolk

They didn’t spare the green paint when spraying the recovery gear :slight_smile: .
If that is the ex Millers one it’ll explain the nice engine sound as I think Millers had a Detroit engine.

How about a new thread for old / well known wreckers?

How about a new thread for old / well known wreckers?
[/quote]

tis done!retitled for the start of a thread? :wink:
do like the orange crusader tho,super singles addin a menacin look! :smiling_imp:

mmm…i’ll have to check this but i thought john’s crusader had a v8 scania lump in it…and if it’s the same truck it’s in various large parts after jack’s attentions while john was away. :open_mouth:
will check in case i’m on about a different truck in his fleet. :confused:
my wreckers are 23 and 25 years old,and still on call 24/7…and with the downturn in work i’m not planning on changing them.

I’m basing the Detroit info on a book about recovery vehicles which had it in.

Anyone know the whereabouts of some ex Walls recovery of Newport trucks,
MAN 8X4 ‘master of disaster’
Steyr 4x2 19s31 underlift
Kenworth 8x4 rotator…?

wrecktech100:
mmm…i’ll have to check this but i thought john’s crusader had a v8 scania lump in it…and if it’s the same truck it’s in various large parts after jack’s attentions while john was away. :open_mouth:
will check in case i’m on about a different truck in his fleet. :confused:
my wreckers are 23 and 25 years old,and still on call 24/7…and with the downturn in work i’m not planning on changing them.

This is the sector of the industry that I am trying to get into once I have passed my tests…Seems I may have a challenge on my hands.

may just be us…we won’t go unless the rate is right,and at the moment the rate’s are cronic on what little work there is about.we manage by towing directly for our own service customers,but that is getting thin on the ground.i havn’t pulled the tax on them…yet.