Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

jsutherland:
During my recent trip to Uganda I saw quite a number of containers being transported like this. I could not see any retention, maybe they are not deemed necessary.

It’s not likely they’ve got twist locks on the trailers? Modern tractor unit’s they’ve got though :wink:

Do you have a photo of the timber haulier?

I can’t find the one of the wood lorry at the moment, but I did find this one, which I was quite intrigued with. Instead of the tanker delivering the fuel, he was filling up his tank from 2 pumps - the one on the left is out of the picture, but the hose pipe can be seen. I am assuming it was diesel that he was filling up with.

The picture was taken in Pakwach, Uganda, very close to the Congo border.

jsutherland:
I can’t find the one of the wood lorry at the moment, but I did find this one, which I was quite intrigued with. Instead of the tanker delivering the fuel, he was filling up his tank from 2 pumps - the one on the left is out of the picture, but the hose pipe can be seen. I am assuming it was diesel that he was filling up with.

The picture was taken in Pakwach, Uganda, very close to the Congo border.

Did the driver got it mixed up when he was told to “fill up the tank”…? :wink:

Looks like a Scania 94?

Found some old adverts…

some biggies

te0110.jpg

te_arb12.jpg

te_arb10.jpg

The graveyard

Nice old pic

Fergie47:
The graveyard

The mobile crane looks interesting Senior, could it have been a Faun?

pv83:

Dunno Whips…looks pretty faun-ed to me… :unamused:

Fergie47:

pv83:

Dunno Whips…looks pretty faun-ed to me… :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing:

Berliet with sleepercab, looks quite nice in my humble opinion.

pv83:

Fergie47:
The graveyard

Wow. I bet it takes a deep breath to decide to cut one of those up. Must go on all the time, because most you see are quite new. I guess the booms have to be crack tested or something, so the decision is not made on a whim.

pv83:

Quite odd, that Berliet! I’ll try to collect more information. Concerning another of your pictures, I’m surprised and disappointed to see that even Recent Saurers could rust!

The Berliet TLC 8M was imported in Netherlands with a total weight of 30T, with only a 5 cylinders motor of 150 hp. I published the picture above in my book " Epopée du GLR" end of last year in the Cany edition ( you could find on the web or FB), it was to celebrate the 70 th birthday of the GLR. Here one other TLC in the same country but with a day-cab.

pv83:

Very nice picture! Transportcompany Koops from Bunschoten (absorbed in the Wolter Koops-group,
together with Overdorp from IJmuiden) had this Berliet with DAF-trailer, possibly a TAL-type with
air-suspension and remarkably no gooseneck-construction. Koops did also M-E-runs in the seventies.

pv83:

This sleeper-cabbed Berliet belonged to Koops from Bunschoten who were early active in
international transport. Today Koops (together with Overdorp from IJmuiden) belongs to
the Wolter Koops-group. Koops also did many runs to/from the M-E with DAF 2800. The
trailer on the picture is a DAF, probably type TAL (air-suspension) but without goose-neck.

Thanks, Michel, for the information. In the flat Netherlands, the 5-cylinder engine was OK for a 30 tonnes artic, but not in France!

Panhard hauling famous Suze.

The cab is nicely designed and looks carefully built. Suze is still one of my favourite “apéritifs”, together with single malt Scotch whisky or Irish whiskey. Not often though.

Right hand drive- to aid urban deliveries, peut etre?