Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Froggy55:
Hi Dave! It looks I have missed a chapter somewhere, or perhaps some posts were withdrawn. I think the French are more touchy concerning copyright than the British; some even suspect you may make money out of their pictures. Personnally, if ever I discover one of my pictures on a forum or blog, I feel it as a compliment, but that’s not the way everyone goes. When I feel it’s needed, I just put a link to the sources.
Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul…yes you missed a little ‘tete-a-tete’, I’d like to think this was based on a “miss-understanding with translation”, hope its settled now, but I’m waiting for a reply to confirm.

How’s it with you ? the weather here in bretagne is appalling, really wet and miserable, thankfully got most of the chores done in the garden, just a few trees to chop down , but they can be done anytime there’s a decent rain free day…

Old computer packed up,so got a decent secondhand one, a friend loaded the latest linux Reelin program, its easy and fast, but sadly there is a flaw somewhere as I can’t post any photos up without it locking up this forum, so no pic’s for a while until he comes and sorts it…technology eh :unamused:

Otherwise, all is well…Dave

Testing loading photos.

Found away or circumnavigating the locking up problem on the new system, its temporary until my friend can come and fix it, at least I can post a pic or two… :slight_smile:

28f96eca33008bdfb1215f41b8e428b7.jpg

Hello Dave, I feel that you handled the above “Tete-A-Tete” in a gentlemanly and honourable way, Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Hello Dave, I feel that you handled the above “Tete-A-Tete” in a gentlemanly and honourable way, Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Cheers Ray, :smiley: :wink:

Fergie47:

Ray Smyth:

Erm… Pete was expecting more “fireworks” Senior… :blush:
Not me though, I reckon you dealt with it as the gent you are :wink: (See, I’ve been a good lad, sticking up for you, do I get my Xmas presents now? :blush: )

Fergie47:
Testing loading photos.

Found away or circumnavigating the locking up problem on the new system, its temporary until my friend can come and fix it, at least I can post a pic or two… :slight_smile:

What make is that tipper Senior?

From a time when cabs looked a bit more stylish… (nmp)

72061442_753817558401375_6726065634762817536_n.jpg

71390607_748870015562796_3108027292471787520_n.jpg

71328923_748872732229191_7254960298572906496_n.jpg

71273387_748869055562892_8231496013253181440_n.jpg

71083495_168326444330997_2578230213083136000_o.jpg

67350613_2359323474335447_5066165305772867584_n.jpg

66013637_2347576682176793_5124178434062286848_n.jpg

65097026_2340561616211633_6193201768336195584_n.jpg

72088855_748872725562525_4867685388031885312_n.jpg

49564233_2233523313582131_4637474745829294080_n.jpg

One for Johnnie :wink:

pv83:
One for Johnnie :wink:

Cheers Patrick. Things have changed just a tad since then :smiley:

pv83:

Fergie47:

Ray Smyth:

Erm… Pete was expecting more “fireworks” Senior… :blush:
Not me though, I reckon you dealt with it as the gent you are :wink: (See, I’ve been a good lad, sticking up for you, do I get my Xmas presents now? :blush: )

Deplomacy first Whips…

pv83:
What make is that tipper Senior?

No idea, hopefully one of the experts will let us know.

pv83:
From a time when cabs looked a bit more stylish… (nmp)

The old Seddon, 7th one down, I use to work on them as a nipper, think they had the old Perkins P6 in them.
Those engines could start up backwards, you couldn’t stop them, …then they’d self destruct…

Nice set of photos there, and some unusual motors…

Fergie47:
To combi89

Bonjour

Firstly, I did NOT know that the picture I put up was that of your father, how would I ? secondly I was NOT telling “stupidities about it”, far from it. I was being very respectful, asking …who was he ? what was his story ? what was his life driving camions ? the answers would have brought the photograph to life and made it an interesting story. However, as I am a “gentleman”, please except my apology if it has upset you, and of course I will removed the photo from the Saviem thread

Secondly…yes I use many of the French web sites, including Saviem, Renault, Berliet, Bernard, Unic, old time camions, Convoi Exceptionnel, plus various others forums, including old villages and town sites, also pictures from old magazines, books and postcards, many photos I have sent to me from 2 French friends, also forums from Italy, Germany Holland…
I look for old and interesting photos ( like your fathers) of camions, and their drivers, also old scenes of people and places in France. I do this because I was fortunate to have worked here in the late sixties and early seventies, many people looking at this Saviem thread never had the opportunity, or were too young, but are very interested in the old French camions. When I post an old pictures we are lucky to have many people on here who can give us good information about them, Froggy, Michel, Anorak and a few more, to make the picture far more interesting.

Thirdly…I believe that if people do not want a photo reproduced they can either , put their name across the photo, or write COPYRIGHT across it, or don’t publish it at all, if you publish a picture then it’s for the whole world to see, not just on one forum or a thread…and can be used by others. I have had many of my own photos published on other sites, it is not a problem, I am happy others can use them. I have been doing this for over 11 years now without a complaint.

So now Combi89 you have my explanation, and you are registered on this forum, I hope that we can maybe work together ? When I put up old photos, then with all your experience you can perhaps identify the lorries and give us all some information on them, like others do…its always welcomed by me and everyone else I’m sure. I also look forward to seeing your photos and stories of your work in France.

Cordialement
Fergie

To…Johnny, Pete, Patrick and Anorak…thank you for your kind words, appreciated…

Sorry for the delay in answering, my old computer finally packed in, it has taken a few days to transfer everything on to another computer with a new up dated linux system, its taken ages, :unamused:

Hi Fergie,

your apologies are accepted without problem

My father was a lorry driver from 1932 to 1975, especially delivered coal, minaral water, bier

My mother had lot’s pictures but unfortunately she burnt them when she ‘‘lost her head’’ because she said it would be interesting for nobody …

This is the only picture my brother saved …. we think it was closely after the war ….

pete smith:

combi89:
Good Evening

you are right gentlemen, first one Renault 10, second one Simca Aronde and the trailer is from NICOLAS :slight_smile:

Good morning Combi,
Thank you for sharing your pics, have you any of the Tractomas units? If so, you will have a friend for life in PV83 as he is an avid fan! Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes I have, from the first with Pelpel cab like Willème and many others, I will post them in the near future …

I design some of them in 1996 (with MAN engine) and in 2005, with Cat engine for ROTRAN in South Africa
And I was the manager for the last Australian version …

combi89:

I design some of them in 1996 (with MAN engine) and in 2005, with Cat engine for ROTRAN in South Africa

A design engineer. We like them here. :smiley: :laughing:

I am interested to read about the Berliet-cabbed Tractomas (and the following Premium-cabbed ones. And the earlier ones!). IIRC, there were three versions, for different weights. The heavier they were, the wider the axles/lower bodywork.

Did I say we like to discuss things here? I may have understated that! :laughing:

PS I can translate my b.s. into bad schoolboy French, if that makes things easier.

[zb]
anorak:

combi89:

A design engineer. We like them here. :smiley: :laughing:

I am interested to read about the Berliet-cabbed Tractomas (and the following Premium-cabbed ones. And the earlier ones!). IIRC, there were three versions, for different weights. The heavier they were, the wider the axles/lower bodywork.

Did I say we like to discuss things here? I may have understated that! :laughing:

PS I can translate my b.s. into bad schoolboy French, if that makes things easier.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: No problem for reading and writing in English, each time I will send a Tractomas picture , I’ll try to add the specifications … if I have them …

combi89:

pete smith:

combi89:
Good Evening

you are right gentlemen, first one Renault 10, second one Simca Aronde and the trailer is from NICOLAS :slight_smile:

Good morning Combi,
Thank you for sharing your pics, have you any of the Tractomas units? If so, you will have a friend for life in PV83 as he is an avid fan! Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes I have, from the first with Pelpel cab like Willème and many others, I will post them in the near future …

Hi Combi,
Thank you for the pic of the Tractomas, I look forward to seeing your pictures, all new to me! Cheer’s Pete

I spent a good few years working in France (15+ actually) and acquired a great interest in Citroen cars. They (the 30´s to 70´s particularly) were innovative in many ways. But I never quite “took” to their lorries as I did to Berliet for example. Were the lorries Citroen produced, none of which were heavyweights to my knowledge, as interesting as the cars? I wonder if anybody following this thread knows.

You’re absolutely right, Dipster. Citroën never produced any big lorries and, unlike how they did with thier cars which were often avant-gardist, they manage to produce the same chassis (types 23 and 45) from 1934 to 1967, with very minor upgradings; the only major change was the fitting of a new cab in 1953. Then they introduced the seires N and P, but once again using obsolete mechanical parts. Here are a few pictures.

Citroën type 23 (1934-52). Gross weight 4.5 tonnes. Same engine as the Traction.

Citroën type 45 (1934-52). GW 8t; 4.5 litre 6-cyl 73 bhp engine.

Citroën 23.50 (1953-67), upgrading of the 23 with new cab, but same engine

Citroën type 55 (1953-67) upgrading of the 45 with new cab, but same engine

Citroën 55 with Heuliez cab and probably Perkins diesel engine

Citroën “Belphégor”, produced from 1967 to 1973 (?). Just think the petrol engines were the same since 1934!

One of Citroën’s lats ad’s for trucks. The model on the left is fitted with a Berliet cab.

This Citroën type 45, fitted with a Citroën diesel engine, was converted into a 6-wheeler.
forum-auto.caradisiac.com/automo … 1-7455.htm