Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

pv83:
Never seen this one before, it’s a Higwayman with local built cab?

Indeed Whips, Highwayman, either a Gardner 150 or Leyland 680, and a handsome cab by the look of it…unusual to see one being used in Europe in the early 60’s.

Good info on Van Swielen…

pv83:

windrush:

Fergie47:
Some unusual motors…over to you European experts…

First one is a Diamond T I believe?

Pete.

Interesting batch you’ve posted Senior, cheers :wink:

Now about that first one… isn’t that a International? I might be wrong as usual…

We were both wrong! :blush: It’s actually a White.

Pete.

Fergie47:
Some unusual motors…over to you European experts…

1: IH
2: GMC AFKWX
3: Saviem-Latil
5: DAF
6: probably a home-made wagon fitted with part of the cell of an old car
7: Hanomag
8: Citroën 45 U
9: Bernard Becquet prototype with 105 bhp Gardner engine

Mmm, I thought number one was one of these, a White 3000 series

White-COE-1-e1518125925820-630x438.jpg

e84c1320e13088980e4dd3af10de2c76.jpg

You’re probably right. I just thought it looked like an IH but confess American trucks are not my cup of tea, though this one deserves some interest because of its unusual style.

Now, here’s a very special looking IH 730 CC. No idea what’s the purpose of it nose, though it’s very likely it houses its engine. A good protection in case of accident!

Froggy55:
You’re probably right. I just thought it looked like an IH but confess American trucks are not my cup of tea, though this one deserves some interest because of its unusual style.

Now, here’s a very special looking IH 730 CC. No idea what’s the purpose of it nose, though it’s very likely it houses its engine. A good protection in case of accident!

That must be a very proud contestant of the “most ugliest truck known to mankind” election… with a bonnet that long one wonders if it’s just extra storage space or that it’s fitted with a 18 cylinder in line engine…

Is it doing what youngsters would call a duckface…? I’ll get me coat…

windrush:

That sleeper box… is that a Jennings conversion? :laughing:

Fergie47:

pv83:

Indeed Whips, Highwayman, either a Gardner 150 or Leyland 680, and a handsome cab by the look of it…unusual to see one being used in Europe in the early 60’s.

Probably more comfortable too… makes you wonder what if Scammell used more of those sort of cabs. And what would have happened if their presence was better on the continent in those days… maybe we would have seen Crusaders in Holland… :wink:

The info on Van Swieten is what I could come up with from the top of my head, there’s more to it, but I’ve got to dig into the archives for that.

Hogra among others :

pv83:

Fergie47:

pv83:

Probably more comfortable too… makes you wonder what if Scammell used more of those sort of cabs. And what would have happened if their presence was better on the continent in those days… maybe we would have seen Crusaders in Holland… :wink:

scamme10.jpg
That firm used to use AECs with Bollekens cabs, so I would hazard a guess that the Scammell has one of their sheds on it.

pv83:

windrush:

I’m sure that very vehicle has been discussed on this thread before, with similar comments being made!

michel:
Hogra among others :

More here about Hogra, a Dutch truck manufacturer I had never heard about:
conam.info/historie/fabrika … 1955-1960-

The last models were powered by Perkins or Steyr engines. Thanks, Michel, for the discovery!

The picture of the Hogra-stand is taken in Brussels, an attempt to export to Belgium and other countries.

[zb]
anorak:

pv83:

windrush:

I’m sure that very vehicle has been discussed on this thread before, with similar comments being made!

Wasn’t there a whole thread dedicated to such “oddballs” on here? Went by the name of “home grown sleeper cabs” or sommat…?

pv83:
Wasn’t there a whole thread dedicated to such “oddballs” on here? Went by the name of “home grown sleeper cabs” or sommat…?

Several pics on the net of White 3000 series with sleeper pods, one example here but not my pic. I wonder if some were factory fitments, no UK trucks had sleepers back then?

Pete.

Looks like the White could be had with two types of sleeper cab- the wide one as above, or the flush-sided one like the two-tone lorry further up the page. Smart looking cabs, IMO.

pv83:
. maybe we would have seen Crusaders in Holland… :wink:

UNIC fitted the Crusader cab, badged as a MACK I think ? Theres plenty on this thread somewhere about it.

I’ve never seen a European registered Crusader, but wouldn’t mind betting there was one or two. …a little project, find a photo :wink:

[zb]
anorak:
Looks like the White could be had with two types of sleeper cab- the wide one as above, or the flush-sided one like the two-tone lorry further up the page. Smart looking cabs, IMO.

Indeed an unique and interesting style, and here’s a little video showing the inside, including the bunk:
youtube.com/watch?v=BakFUqSUBkk

Froggy55:
Indeed an unique and interesting style, and here’s a little video showing the inside, including the bunk:

Nice find there Paul, thanks for that. …to say it was basic is an understatement, but it was in the fifties I guess, but still, more advanced than the old British wagons of the same era. :wink:

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Nice find there Paul, thanks for that. …to say it was basic is an understatement, but it was in the fifties I guess, but still, more advanced than the old British wagons of the same era. :wink:

Fitted with a auto 'box? As there’s no clutch pedal nor gearlever…? Asking for a friend… :blush: