Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Volvo LV 290.jpg
Sticking to long-nosed beasts, here’s a 1940 Volvo L 290. A very well balanced truck, to my opinion, but no idea of what’s under its bonnet.

Froggy55:
Sticking to long-nosed beasts, here’s a 1940 Volvo L 290. A very well balanced truck, to my opinion, but no idea of what’s under its bonnet.

What a beast indeed! Nice one Paul, cheers!

With a bonnet that long… one might think there’s a 8-in line engine fitted…?

Fergie47:
Mixed bunch of old heavies

Nice one Senior!

Here’s a better version of the long-nosed Volvo. This is the picture I intended to put initially.

pv83:

Froggy55:

What a beast indeed! Nice one Paul, cheers!

With a bonnet that long… one might think there’s a 8-in line engine fitted…?

Here’s a thread on a Swedish forum about the Volvo LV 290. Of course, my Swedish probably needs a little upgrading, but it seems it was powered by a 135/150 bhp 9.6 litres engine.
veteranlastbilar.se/phpBB3/v … 2&start=15

8 cylinder Willeme from Onatra company.

Last evening I watched a programme on the “Yesterday” freeview channel 19 at 8pm called
“Secrets of the railways”. The location was Canfranc railway station on the Trans Pyrenees
Railway just across the French/Spanish border in Spain. The main subject of the programme
was regarding approx. 87 tons of Gold Ingots being secreted out of Germany, through France,
and into neutral Spain during World War 2. It would be interesting to discover what make the
lorries were, and also who was “Emil Brander Herisau”. This TV programme may be available
on catch-up TV.

Ray Smyth.

It’s a Swiss-made Saurer, but the truck used for the film looks post-WW II to me; maybe I’m wrong, and Michel will probably put things right. I wouldn’t say Spain was neutral during WW II; after all, hadn’t Franco asked Hitler for help during the Civil War?

michel:

Its driver looks very slim, but certainly had the muscles to manoeuver the monster which had no power steering!

Froggy55:

michel:

Its driver looks very slim, but certainly had the muscles to manoeuver the monster which had no power steering!

Hiya,
Why do continental drivers always stand hand on hip ? surely they can’t all be batting for the other side. lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Do you insulars never stand that way? We still do.

Froggy55:
Do you insulars never stand that way? We still do.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Sorry just a bit of fun no malice mean’t and no I
never stand that way.

Maybe it’s part of the Continental way of life? :laughing:

I also think the Saurer is a postwar2 lorry. Nevertheless Saurer sold lorries to the Reich which used some as gas van from railway station to camps.
Here a typical 50 th lorry which could receive a bus superstructure on Sundays and holidays.

Locomotion last weekend…excellent day, weather not to hot, great company and some excellent lorries.

If I could have taken just 3 home, then it would be these in this order :-

Beautiful Willeme, hardly a straight edge on it. and to think what we were driving in the '60’s !

This Saurer, great restoration, haven’t seen one up close for years.

The F89, only because I had one.

Thanks to Johnny Sutherland for the photos, he was our resident photographer for the day. :wink:

20190622_102839.jpg

Fergie47:
Locomotion last weekend…excellent day, weather not to hot, great company and some excellent lorries.

Beautiful Willeme, hardly a straight edge on it. and to think what we were driving in the '60’s !

Thanks to Johnny Sutherland for the photos, he was our resident photographer for the day. :wink:

Couldn’t have said it any better Senior! Would swop that F89 for a F12 though… :wink:

And how about that Bernard…

Fergie47:

Hi David,

Here’s how close I got to a Saurer 29th October 1981 after a snow storm on the Simplon,a little help was needed to keep going.Similar colours as well !!

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

Fergie47:

Hi David,

Here’s how close I got to a Saurer 29th October 1981 after a snow storm on the Simplon,a little help was needed to keep going.Similar colours as well !!

Regards
Richard

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

MaggieD:

Fergie47:

Hi David,

Regards
Richard

Blimey mate, reckoned it was the same unit!!

pv83:

MaggieD:

Fergie47:

Hi David,

Regards
Richard

Blimey mate, reckoned it was the same unit!!

Patrick I hope you are well, sorry we missed Locomotion this year, it would have been nice to catch up with you all again, and also your young lady, who I’m informed by a respected gentleman on here is very nice and too good for you !!

Regards
Richard