Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

[zb]
anorak:

Froggy55:
Eisenhauer, not Eisenhower. Sorry for the mistake!

No problem. Superb posts. I’ve learned something new today. :smiley:

It looks like a lot of engineering to achieve a little gain. I guess one of the engines could be left idle for light running?

More here:
curbsideclassic.com/blog/tru … strikeout/

and even better here:
google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= … jAtIDrX_Aj

pv83:
Did you struggle to keep up with the French motors at the time Senior? The French colleagues must have given you the beady eye when you first came over in that Guy I can imagine…?

Sorry Whippersnapper, I missed this post when you put it up a couple of weeks ago. No, didn’t struggle really, we were running lighter at 32ton gross when similar European wagons were 36t the old ■■■■■■■ 180 was a good engine, plus a Jake, and the 6 speed David Brown box well spaced so you could get a lick on.
Also, and more importantly, life was better with no sleeper cab, Routier hotels where you’d start at around 7.00 -7-30, with a breakfast, then lunch 12.00 to 2.00 ish, run till around 7.00 then another meal and hotel room, repeat every day…Then came the sleepers, so start times moved to 6.00, 5.00 , 4.00am then stupid time, run till late, time off in the middle of the day, start middle of the night etc etc…naaaaa, even with a sleeper I managed a hotel every second or third night…preferred the old way… The motors may have been crap compared to today, but the life style was different, you met drivers from all over Europe, spent time with them, week ends you used the wagon as a taxi to go sight seeing or to the beach if you were near near one, it was such a different era, and better for it I think.

Its raining, Mrs Fergie has run out of chores for me, so I’ve got some computer time… :unamused:

Loading / unloading wagons

h3deqd.jpg

945853numerisation00041.jpg

917650routiers27738117901big.jpg

Pic 1…Don’t undo the rad cap when she’s hot…

Pic 2… When your doors are blocked, in through the roof.

1-L56-porte-fers-c-.png

Old black and white pics…

The last ones mine :unamused:

Down the scrapyard

Mixed bunch of old heavies

Old pic…driven in and abandoned, wonder where and when and what the story was.

Fergie47:
Its raining, Mrs Fergie has run out of chores for me, so I’ve got some computer time… :unamused:

A shame it doesn’t rain more often. Fantastic pictures Monsieur Fergie.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

jsutherland:

Fergie47:

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Danke Herr Sutherland…but I like the sunshine, biking weather you see… :exclamation:

Fergie47:

jsutherland:

Fergie47:

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Danke Herr Sutherland…but I like the sunshine, biking weather you see… :exclamation:

Biking - which version? :smiley: :smiley:

biking.jpg

Source: http://clipart-library.com

jsutherland:

Both Johnny…

IMG_20190416_153434.jpg

Fergie47:

jsutherland:

Both Johnny…

Nice one, especially the motorbike.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Renault AFKD 6x2 :

Certainly well ahead for its time, at least concerning the design of its cab. Moreover, it was fitted with air-operated power steering, as were all Renault heavy trucks in the late thirties.

Czepel D 450.jpgSomewhere in the USSR, a Csepel D 450. Any idea of what’s written on the strange twin tanks?

I’ve just spotted a detail on my last post; the red car on the right is definitely a Ford Cortina Mk I registered in Hungary. The truck’s tank is marked in cyrillic alphabet, which was (and is still) used in Russia, Bulgaria and Serbia.

Any of our French-resident contingent been to this place?

Lots of interesting vehicles there, a 1968 “original edition” Scania LB110, Fiat 190.38 etc,

Thanks for this pleasant video, which shows my favourite truck, the TurboStar!

Back to the late forties with two Willemes belonging to Tps Fernex in Haute Savoie. First, this 1948 L 10 fitted with a locally-built smart and comfortable sleeper cab. Powered by a 150 bhp 13.7 litre Willeme diesel.

And its big brother, the R 15-8, powered by a big 225 bhp straight-8, and also fitted with a special cab.