Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Somewhere in deep France in the sixties.

Fergie47:

Froggy55:
These Bernards were well built, very fine and smart looking, but also very slow; their max speed usually did not exceed 60 kph. The engine was an rebored (130 instead of 108 mm) version of the Gardner 6 LW, giving 150 bhp at 1700 rpm.

Beautiful looking wagons though…60Kms fair lick of speed !!

Here’s a pic of my brother-in-laws Scammell Junior Constructor, in the early '70’s @100 + tons, with a top speed of 28 mph empty, with a fair wind behind it…he was only 22 when he drove it. The difference between the Junior and Constructor was, the Junior 6 X 4,
and the Constructor 6 X 6
Not sure what engine. I’ll have ask him, either a 680 Leyland or Gardner 150.

Those were the days eh! :wink:

DEANB:
Unusual motor.

Click on page twice.

Is that… Fergie’s campervan…?

Some more from RetroMobile, star of the show… everything is big on this Berliet… the term BFG comes to mind… Roald Dahl anyone :wink:

pv83:
Some more from RetroMobile, star of the show… everything is big on this Berliet… the term BFG comes to mind… Roald Dahl anyone :wink:

Great pictures Patrick! Quite a machine.

jsutherland:

Fergie47:

Froggy55:
These Bernards were well built, very fine and smart looking, but also very slow; their max speed usually did not exceed 60 kph. The engine was an rebored (130 instead of 108 mm) version of the Gardner 6 LW, giving 150 bhp at 1700 rpm.

Here’s a pic of my brother-in-laws Scammell Junior Constructor, in the early '70’s @100 + tons, with a top speed of 28 mph empty, with a fair wind behind it…he was only 22 when he drove it. The difference between the Junior and Constructor was, the Junior 6 X 4,

I can imagine braking wasn’t much fun either. [emoji4]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Braking■■? They’ve finally build up some speed (15mph…) and you’re talking out braking… ffs… :laughing: :laughing:

jsutherland:

pv83:

Great pictures Patrick! Quite a machine.

Cheers mate, aye a big lump of “heavy metal” that was! The French called it The Monster for obvious reasons, but I thought they were talking about me for a sec… :unamused:

Old French garages.

visuel-1.png

1388546081-CHAUMONT-Lacaille-Garage-Entree-Quais-Camions.jpg

pv83:

jsutherland:

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

I can imagine braking wasn’t much fun either. [emoji4]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Braking■■? They’ve finally build up some speed (15mph…) and you’re talking out braking… ffs… [emoji38] [emoji38]

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

le Mont San Michel…first time I ever went there was with the lorry, parked off to the right of those parked coaches, it wasn’t busy, so no problem parking an artic. Now you cant get within 3 kms of the place, Huge car parks, non for lorries though, where after you’ve paid an extortionate amount of money, you have to walk almost a km to get a free shuttle bus to visit it, then queue for ages to get back again, or walk…
To say they’ve cocked it up is an understatement…wouldn’t go again or recommend going to anyone, it’s one huge souvenir arcade…the price of progress I suppose.

Fergie47:
Old French garages.

What about filling a 200 gallon tank with the pump on 2nd picture?

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
Old French garages.

It was a less hectic world then, less vehicles, with smaller tanks too…I guess the chauffeur would go and get a coffee or even a meal perhaps, while madam would pump in the fuel…no rush back then.

I don’t know when that photo was taken, but maybe there are some older lads around today who can rember those type of pumps as a youngster, they’d be getting on a bit though.

Somewhere I’ve got, or had, a close up photo of that type of pump, could be you set the pump to how many litres you wanted, pumped it up into the top glass section, and gravity did the rest, slow process, I’m only guessing.thats how it worked, probably wrong.

Perhaps you can ask around Froggy, see what you can dig up, some old boy will remember.

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
Old French garages.

It was a less hectic world then, less vehicles, with smaller tanks too…I guess the chauffeur would go and get a coffee or even a meal perhaps, while madam would pump in the fuel…no rush back then.

I don’t know when that photo was taken, but maybe there are some older lads around today who can rember those type of pumps as a youngster, they’d be getting on a bit though.

Somewhere I’ve got, or had, a close up photo of that type of pump, could be you set the pump to how many litres you wanted, pumped it up into the top glass section, and gravity did the rest, slow process, I’m only guessing.thats how it worked, probably wrong.

Perhaps you can ask around Froggy, see what you can dig up, some old boy will remember.

I am not that old (knocking 70) but I do remember my dad having such pumps in the garage when I was a kiddo. Fuel was pumped, by hand, up into the glass measure and then versed into the vehicle’s tank. In truth it was not used much but it was still there! I remember, too lots of Pratts brand 2 gallon steel petrol cans with nice brass screw tops being there. All happy memories for me.

Dipster:
I am not that old (knocking 70) but I do remember my dad having such pumps in the garage when I was a kiddo. Fuel was pumped, by hand, up into the glass measure and then versed into the vehicle’s tank. In truth it was not used much but it was still there! I remember, too lots of Pratts brand 2 gallon steel petrol cans with nice brass screw tops being there. All happy memories for me.

Good guess on my part then Dipster !!.. :wink: …those were everyday items you mentioned, bet they’d be worth a shilling or two today. I have, and use, one of those 2 gallon cans, with its polished brass cap, got the TVO mix in it, sits on the back of the topper ready to top up the Fergie when she’s cutting the field, saves struggling with a plastic 25 litre drum, looks better too… :unamused:

Typically local look for this Isuzu 6 wheeler.

Another Bernard 6 RA 180.

I managed to find a picture of the original brochure that was for sale on ebay in January this year. Maybe Dean or Michel has one in their many shoeboxes :slight_smile:

Jsutherland, yes I get a similar one. Here an other picture of 6x2 Bernard.

Maybe a Chéreau bodywork?

Leyland Hippos were for a time sold in France by Hotchkiss under their own brand, like this 220 bhp 1964 20H belonging to Colombo, a big roadwork contracter of the time. Picture from special issue n°66 of Charge-Utile Magazine.

Which coachbuilder’s sleeper conversion does it have? My recollection of them is hazy. IIRC, they have been discussed on here before.

Is that a Willeme behind the Leyland? Both wagons look a bit more beavy duty than a typi al GB six wheeler of the time.