Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

@ ‘jsutherland’ & ‘pv83’: to answer your questions, it was a Stralis with a box trailer loaded with technical equipment for the film of the remake of ‘The Ten Commandments’ at the film studios in Ouarzazate in The Sahara Desert. Most of the work I did to Morocco was with garment trailers and this was a one-off trip for a haulier who normally didn’t do Morocco. Robert

Here’s a link to an interesting clip of the 1970’s…
dailymotion.com/video/xg96cv

David Miller:
Another night, another transport cafe.

I know that I speak for all of us here, Patrick, when I say how grateful for all the hardships that you must have to suffer whilst looking for interesting things for us. Wish I could join you there, even for a koffie.

David

You’ve got no idea of how hard it is mate, looking at and having a wee chat to some absolute stunning ladies and keeping an eye out for things that might be interesting to the regular crowd on here… Finally someone who appreciates and acknowledge the fact of how hard it is, cheers mate :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
@ ‘jsutherland’ & ‘pv83’: to answer your questions, it was a Stralis with a box trailer loaded with technical equipment for the film of the remake of ‘The Ten Commandments’ at the film studios in Ouarzazate in The Sahara Desert. Most of the work I did to Morocco was with garment trailers and this was a one-off trip for a haulier who normally didn’t do Morocco. Robert

Cheers for the info Robert, how did the Iveco managed? It’s got bit of a reputation to fall apart for no good reason…?

pv83:

David Miller:
Another night, another transport cafe.

I know that I speak for all of us here, Patrick, when I say how grateful for all the hardships that you must have to suffer whilst looking for interesting things for us. Wish I could join you there, even for a koffie.

David

You’ve got no idea of how hard it is mate, looking at and having a wee chat to some absolute stunning ladies and keeping an eye out for things that might be interesting to the regular crowd on here… Finally someone who appreciates and acknowledge the fact of how hard it is, cheers mate :wink:

Hey Patrick, I did write something complimentary, for a change, about you and work on the “Heavy haulage through the years” thread ("Heavy Haulage through the years" - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK).

I do agree with Dave though, and do really appreciate all your efforts.

Regards
Johnny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

youtube.com/watch?v=MD_RkMDYa2w&sns=fb part 1
youtube.com/watch?v=aF95pFU4JFI part 2

Found some other ones…

youtube.com/watch?v=KXswMCiiXmc part 1
youtube.com/watch?v=XRVStkgCJwE part 2

pv83:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD_RkMDYa2w&sns=fb part 1

Really great find Patrick. I does help if yuo know French, but even without a fascinating trip all the same. Nice motor sound from the Saviem!
Cheer
sJohnny

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:

Cheers for the info Robert, how did the Iveco managed? It’s got bit of a reputation to fall apart for no good reason…?

Iveco had a bad press press because of the poor build-quality of its cabs. The chassis, engine and running gear were excellent, however. Below is a picture of the Eurostar I drove all over Europe, did many trips to North Africa in, and drove to the Middle East for a few Astran trips. The picture below shows it on a return trip from Doha in Qatar on the Arabian Gulf. It was superb to drive, having the old bullet-proof 14-litre 420 derived from Fiat, connected to the wonderful Eaton Twin-splitter gearbox.

The next picture shows the Iveco Stralis I drove. I loved the living-space in the cab and the driving position / comfort was the best I’ve ever encountered. However, I hated that Eurotronic semi-automated gearbox with a vengeance! A Stralis with a Fuller RT 9509 'box would have been a perfect lorry, alas!!

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Iveco had a bad press press because of the poor build-quality of its cabs. The chassis, engine and running gear were excellent, however. Below is a picture of the Eurostar I drove all over Europe, did many trips to North Africa in, and drove to the Middle East for a few Astran trips. The picture below shows it on a return trip from Doha in Qatar on the Arabian Gulf. It was superb to drive, having the old bullet-proof 14-litre 420 derived from Fiat, connected to the wonderful Eaton Twin-splitter gearbox.

Robert

Concerning the big FIAT engine, I do confirm! I had it on the TurboStar 380, and certainly the best engine I ever had on a truck! Better event than the 480 bhp 17 litre V8.

Actually, there was another road in 1975 over The High Atlas Mountains from Tizi-n-Tichka to Tinerhir via the Gorge du Dades which bypassed Quarzazate. It was marked on the Michelin map as being 4,071 metres which is about half the height of Mount Everest. Although you couldn’t of got anything much bigger than a Landrover up there due to a section of overhanging cliffs.

Dades Gorge..jpg

Scan0067.jpg

Spot The Landrover.

Scan0069.jpg

Great stuff ^^^! Robert :sunglasses:

I thought that you might of been interested Robert, :smiley: so here are a few more.
I have just done a Google for Dades Gorge and it’s certainly changed. :frowning:

google.com.au/search?q=dade … 67&bih=523

Regards Steve.

mushroomman:
I thought that you might of been interested Robert, :smiley: so here are a few more.
I have just done a Google for Dades Gorge and it’s certainly changed. :frowning:

Regards Steve.

Fantastic photos mushroomman!

Morning all.

Sat in the reception of the Hotel in Bogota I saw this monster 3 Bender. It would be an interesting thing to make go backwards

Found some more interesting footage…

youtube.com/watch?v=FA619mVfGAQ

jsutherland:

pv83:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD_RkMDYa2w&sns=fb part 1

Really great find Patrick. I does help if yuo know French, but even without a fascinating trip all the same. Nice motor sound from the Saviem!
Cheer
sJohnny

Aye, it would be a bit more easier to understand if one is familiar with the language, but I reckon we all can understand what it is about… :wink:

Froggy55:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

Concerning the big FIAT engine, I do confirm! I had it on the TurboStar 380, and certainly the best engine I ever had on a truck! Better event than the 480 bhp 17 litre V8.

Really? I would have thought that mighty lump would be king…?

jsutherland:

mushroomman:

Regards Steve.

Fantastic photos mushroomman!

Cracking shots mate, cheers!

David Miller:
Morning all.

Sat in the reception of the Hotel in Bogota I saw this monster 3 Bender. It would be an interesting thing to make go backwards

You’ve arrived safely then mate?

Never seen one like that before :open_mouth: , what’s the total length you reckon…?