Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

jsutherland:

pv83:

pete smith:

jsutherland:
Does anyone remember the following device? This was before mobile phones or driver cards. I happened to discover it as I was looking for something else. I used it quite a lot and found it helpful to keep me legal.

Hi Johnny I used a bit of wire and a crocodile clip!

Oi Pete, don’t tell him that, before you know it Herr Sutherland is grassing you up at your local VOSA inspector [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]
Why did you used a bit of wire and crocodile clip anyway? I just cracked on, once did 977km and 18h work on the one disc (when I was on multi-drop work), when I pulled back in the yard, showed the disc to the gaffer, he just said " ah, proper day of work then"… :unamused:

How does that device work Johnny? Does it sort of scan the disc? Never seen such thing before…

Hey Patrick, you’re cruising for a bruising!!
The device worked on it’s own, a bit like a time tracker/stopwatch - no disc scanning. Press the appropriate button e.g. when driving and it timed your hours. It sounded an alarm when any driving time rule was about to be broken, if I remember correctly 15 mins before. Then again when the limit was reached. When compared to today’s smartphones, it is a very simple device. Maybe a bit too challenging for you all the same [emoji1] [emoji1]

Twice when the police had stopped me they looked at it and then didn’t bother checking my tachograph disc.

Cheers
Johnny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Who’s gonna do the bruising then eh :wink:
Already to modern for my taste such a device… but it does work like those bloody tacho’s nowadays, 15min. before your driving time is up, it sounds the alarm, and again when you’ve completed the 4 1/2h… Oh how I long back to the days of just keeping log books… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

michel:
Bac à Sable is every beginning of September in Alsace ,east of France. The name was chosen because at the first editions ,the lorries could run in the sand of a quarry. Now it’s more rallies in the countryside. A lot of German,Swiss are also present,this last edition saw about 90 lorries with a superb organisation.

Just might set course next year to the Alsace then Michel :wink:

Great shot of a Shawnee Pool tractor trailer being loaded by the Priestman 360. Shawnee pools were made in Cardiff by Steelfab under license. They were Fords mostly, and County 4 wheel drives with big wheels and tires all around. As a kid I jumped on them or anything with diesel or petrol in the tank and put them through their paces.
Steelfab made front end and back end detachable loaders and 180 backhoes for all makes of tractors. They did manufacture a complete loader/backhoe but based it on a Fordson Major which wasn’t quite up to the task.
Steelfabs PowerX tractor trailer system was a fore runner to the skip system that later become very popular.

Paul

pv83:

jsutherland:

pv83:

pete smith:

jsutherland:
Does anyone remember the following device? This was before mobile phones or driver cards. I happened to discover it as I was looking for something else. I used it quite a lot and found it helpful to keep me legal.

Hi Johnny I used a bit of wire and a crocodile clip!

Oi Pete, don’t tell him that, before you know it Herr Sutherland is grassing you up at your local VOSA inspector [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]
Why did you used a bit of wire and crocodile clip anyway? I just cracked on, once did 977km and 18h work on the one disc (when I was on multi-drop work), when I pulled back in the yard, showed the disc to the gaffer, he just said " ah, proper day of work then"… :unamused:

How does that device work Johnny? Does it sort of scan the disc? Never seen such thing before…

Hey Patrick, you’re cruising for a bruising!!
The device worked on it’s own, a bit like a time tracker/stopwatch - no disc scanning. Press the appropriate button e.g. when driving and it timed your hours. It sounded an alarm when any driving time rule was about to be broken, if I remember correctly 15 mins before. Then again when the limit was reached. When compared to today’s smartphones, it is a very simple device. Maybe a bit too challenging for you all the same [emoji1] [emoji1]

Twice when the police had stopped me they looked at it and then didn’t bother checking my tachograph disc.

Cheers
Johnny

Already to modern for my taste such a device… but it does work like those bloody tacho’s nowadays, 15min. before your driving time is up, it sounds the alarm, and again when you’ve completed the 4 1/2h… Oh how I long back to the days of just keeping log books… [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

What are you going on about - big books. You were still in nappies when log books were on the go! [emoji1]

pv83:
My local DAF dealership opened it’s doors for the public today… and they had quite some gems lined up… :wink:

Incredible to think the green DAF on 6th picture was first issued as early as 1962! It’s cab looks so modern compared to other productions of its time, on both sides of the Channel!

Paul John:
Great shot of a Shawnee Pool tractor trailer being loaded by the Priestman 360. Shawnee pools were made in Cardiff by Steelfab under license. They were Fords mostly, and County 4 wheel drives with big wheels and tires all around. As a kid I jumped on them or anything with diesel or petrol in the tank and put them through their paces.
Steelfab made front end and back end detachable loaders and 180 backhoes for all makes of tractors. They did manufacture a complete loader/backhoe but based it on a Fordson Major which wasn’t quite up to the task.
Steelfabs PowerX tractor trailer system was a fore runner to the skip system that later become very popular.

Paul

Cheers for the info Paul, didn’t recognise the tractor trailer unit… nor did I know that Priestman did build diggers as well…never too old to learn eh.

Already to modern for my taste such a device… but it does work like those bloody tacho’s nowadays, 15min. before your driving time is up, it sounds the alarm, and again when you’ve completed the 4 1/2h… Oh how I long back to the days of just keeping log books… [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]
[/quote]
What are you going on about - big books. You were still in nappies when log books were on the go! [emoji1]

[/quote]
Don’t tell 'em that Johnny! Before you know it they might start calling me Whippersnapper! Need to keep my image up with the “big” boys… :wink:

When those horrible digi thingies came out, I drove one of the first lorries that was equipped with one, I was pulled by a copper, asked me for my papers and disc’s, handed him the papers, but didn’t have any disc’s, and tried to explain that I was driving with the latest invention… he just looked at it, clearly unaware that times had changed, so he just said, I take it eveything is in order. Yes sir, I replied, was handed back my paperwork and off I went…

On another occasion the same happened when I was driving an old fashioned tacho, copper comes to me with some fancy looking device, and I said, haven’t got a digital tacho sir, he then looked really disappointed, gave a quick glance through me disc’s and off I went once again…

Found this old article today about John Goodreid (Saviem). I dont know if has already been posted on here
before ■■

Click on pages twice to read.

It looks young Goodreid wasn’t yet fascinated by French trucks! Interesting stuff, really worth going through. I love the Borderer’s dashbord; so neat and complete. I remeber the dashboard of my 1969 Unic came from a Citroën Ami 6 or some other cheap French car of the time; it was a rectangular thing, looking very cheap.

A good article about the late Saviem/John, He is sadly missed on this thread :cry: :cry: :cry: R.I.P. John. Regards Kev.

John is sadly missed for his, always, most thorough and informative posts on TN. What an absolute tragedy it was to have his life so cruelly cut short by his accident , RIP John ! Bewick.

Bewick:
John is sadly missed for his, always, most thorough and informative posts on TN. What an absolute tragedy it was to have his life so cruelly cut short by his accident , RIP John ! Bewick.

Totally agree Dennis what a great loss to these threads that man was, full of knowledge which he shared with us all freely miss his inputs for sure, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Bewick:

Totally agree Dennis what a great loss to these threads that man was, full of knowledge which he shared with us all freely miss his inputs for sure, Buzzer.

John should have written a book, he sure had the knack, skill and flair to write one, I kept on at him as did you lads on here but he couldn’t sit still long enough I think! The article I think was John’s first job after leaving the family business, the one that took him around Europe in the Foden.
John’s next job was at Hartshornes Volvo dealer in Walsall as it states in article, I can remember him telling me about a customer who bought an F88 6x2 unit and used to pull a lowloader, they used to put a fair bit of weight on her, I have always wondered if that unit was the L reg still knocking around pulling the timber trailer, Bob Carmichael? I always forgot to ask John! Cheer’s Pete

Where is Fergie, last seen bound and gagged being bundled into the boot of a BMW heading for the Netherlands, PV do you know anything about this :wink:

DEANB:
Found this old article today about John Goodreid (Saviem). I dont know if has already been posted on here
before ■■

Top man DeanB. You must have quite an Alladin’s cave of lorry magazines!
Johnny

pete smith:
Where is Fergie, last seen bound and gagged being bundled into the boot of a BMW heading for the Netherlands, PV do you know anything about this :wink:

Is PV involved in body snatching again? Will he never learn!! [emoji1]

jsutherland:

DEANB:
before ■■

Johnny

Got a couple floating about Johnny ! :wink: By the way where is the whipper snapper he’s been a bit
quiet this week ■■? No doubt he will come on telling us how hard he has worked but i dont believe it
he’s always parked up in routiers !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

jsutherland:

pete smith:

Is PV involved in body snatching again? Will he never learn!! [emoji1]

Sold the car when I got back home, must admit I’d heard some muffled sounds coming from the boot, but Mrs Fergie made me promise not to open the boot… her exact words I think were “don’t be a clever lad and open that boot, if you do I’ll cut your ■■■■■■■ balls”…

Now, who am I to refuse or disrespect Mrs Fergie’s demands… the bag with a large amount of money did help though… :wink:

DEANB:

jsutherland:

DEANB:
before ■■

Johnny

Got a couple floating about Johnny ! :wink: By the way where is the whipper snapper he’s been a bit
quiet this week ■■? No doubt he will come on telling us how hard he has worked but i dont believe it
he’s always parked up in routiers !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I’ve been working quite hard indeed Dean, thank you very much :wink:
Been helping some dodgy character who lives in Brittany and tries to run Fergie Ltd. I’ll include a picture of what he reckons is a modern wagon :unamused:

20170902_145109.jpg

The rest of the “modern” fleet… not to worry though lads, I reckon he’ll join us shortly to tell us how good his wagons are and that they’re not equipped with a auto 'box… :unamused: :laughing:

20170830_165226.jpg

20170830_165133.jpg