Satnavs and Low bridges? My arse!

the maoster:

steviespain:
We need a name. Any suggestions? [emoji38]

You could always stick your sat nav in the windscreen of Harry’s tug, follow its directions and suddenly become “Seasick Steve”!

Oh, I am LIKING that! [emoji3]

Sent from my Wieppo S6 using Tapatalk

You may have made a good move, using an alternative route on the way back. Taking 3½ tonnes off your cart springs will have raised the body quite a bit.

I remember doing a delivery to a small estate in S Wales, where the only access was through a 12’9" bridge. I got in okay, but on the way out, and just inching forward I touched the bridge. I walked back to where I had made the drop and they sent half-a-dozen men down to stand in the back. It seemed that it was a regular procedure.

No, he’s been a bridge engineer since leaving university. He did ask me not to go into how measurements are taken because some people will always chance it and he likes “his” bridges and all the others the way they are.

A bit of advice he asked me to share: Road bridges, such as you see going over motorways and on elevated roundabouts are designed for all sorts of traffic. The walkways beside them aren’t. So please don’t park on the pavement on a bridge, as you could damage it by sticking a laden artic on it.

I could be taking this the wrong way, but just because we’re “just” truck drivers doesn’t preclude us from knowing or being related to people in other professions, you know.

‘‘Putting in’’ heights, widths, lengths, and programming your Trucker 600s, wtf is all that about? :open_mouth:
No not a scooby. :neutral_face:
I feel like I’m missing out on something here am I?
By trundling along without any drama queen antics, using my cheap jack car sat nav alongside a lot of common sense and a bag full of initiative. :neutral_face:

s-l400.jpg
:laughing: :laughing:

ETS:
My (trucker’s) sat-nav thinks mini-roundabouts are perfectly fine spots to “make a U-turn now”…in a 12m rigid. Yeah, no.

LMAO! Yep. And make you travel half a mile, in London, when you could have more easily turned right, right, right, left. and been back on track in 3 minutes rather than 20.

robroy:
‘‘Putting in’’ heights, widths, lengths, and programming your Trucker 600s, wtf is all that about? :open_mouth:
By trundling along without any drama queen antics, using my cheap jack car sat nav alongside a lot of common sense and a bag full of initiative. :neutral_face:

Are you trying to wind me up, Robroy? (Big smile on me face, remember. Check me sig)
See, you big boys do most of your stuff on the big roads, us little, non HGV guys, are at the coal face. Head on, face to face, with all those little problems than can ruin yer day. Low bridges, width restrictions, weight restrictions, all of these are allegedly handled by a satnav, especially a dedicated truck satnav. But…they ain’t.
The places I’ve been taken by this TomTom are,well, unbelievable, frankly. There was one place last week I thought I was going to have to ask for a frikkin crane to lift me out, not kiddin.
It was U turning me, took me down a smallish road that narrowed. After a hundred yards it went left and then, 30yds later, a right angled right. Cars parked illegally all around the corner. No owners available (and apparently all unhelpful idiots too)
Sweated for a full ten minutes, me and the mechanic from the garage who was banking me, but we made it. JUST. No kittens, nuns, orphans, etc. But I am talking millimetres here.

And today I was directed along a road that had a width restriction. By both Google maps (Bluetooth in me ear) AND Trucker Tom.
google.co.uk/maps/@51.53346 … 384!8i8192
It was only yesterday (After the bridge debacle) that I measured up the wagon, and THEN rounded up for safety.

After getting out and carefully checking the sight-lines and the fact that no one was around, I went for it. And made it, squeakily, but yeah, I got through with no damage to kittens, orphans, or nuns. Just about…it was close…well, more than close…I shouldn’t have done it, really. Who would have thought that the rear axle/tyres are slightly wider than the front :open_mouth:

But I can’t achieve a working day that has results for the firm if I don’t use a satnav, and I’m fast losing confidence in “the satnav”.
I bought a cheapie to start with, lost confidence in that, bought a more expensive one, losing it with this one.

Loving the job this last two weeks though.
Made friends, today, with a forkie who I thought was being a ■■■■ last week. Today I realised he was just doing his job.
Some forkies have more responsibility than others. He doesn’t.

peterm:
Lot’s of 'em but most unprintable. :wink:

Heheheh

Sorry, missed this earlier :slight_smile:

Sounds like your satnav is in charge.

robroy:

I agree with the old timer here ,wtf needs to put lorry dimensions in a Zb sat nav :unamused:

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

I agree with the old timer here ,wtf needs to put lorry dimensions in a Zb sat nav :unamused:

Old timer? tis but a kid.

Back in my day we didn’t have no car sat nav. We just just had a pointy stick and a ball of twine and I tell you what we were grateful for it as well!
Now you younguns come along with your computers and McDonalds and your wireless phones you ruin everything!
I tell you another thing! I bet you never realised there was no power steering in the good’ol days! It was actual hard work! Many people don’t know this because us old people keep it a closely guarded secret so you heard it here first.

KIDS THESE DAYS!

^^^^ nice try but I’ve got lorries in my collection ,no power assisted steering ,some with and some with power in the box ,crash boxes ,twin splitters :open_mouth: ,and synchromesh :laughing:

steviespain:

robroy:

Are you trying to wind me up, Robroy?

See, you big boys do most of your stuff on the big roads, us little, non HGV guys, are at the coal face.

Me ? Wind up…never.
But if you want to play Top Trumps…big roads eh?
I’ll just say…
44 tonner/remote farm deliveries/Cornwall/weekly/most drops on unclassifieds …with big ‘Unsuitable for HGV’ signs .

Yeh go on then, I do want a medal before you ask.
Christ I’m bloody good. :sunglasses: …and very modest. :smiley:

Yeh fair enough I am trying to wind you up. :blush: :smiley:

adam277:

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Old timer? tis but a kid.

Back in my day we didn’t have no car sat nav. We just just had a pointy stick and a ball of twine and I tell you what we were grateful for it as well!
Now you younguns come along with your computers and McDonalds and your wireless phones you ruin everything!
I tell you another thing! I bet you never realised there was no power steering in the good’ol days! It was actual hard work! Many people don’t know this because us old people keep it a closely guarded secret so you heard it here first.

KIDS THESE DAYS!

No sat nav■■? :open_mouth:
No not having that mate :unamused: …how did you find your way round in those days then eh? :unamused:
Somebody even told me the other day that you just used maps, had to throw sheets over your loads, and that trucks did not even have bunks, and your boss could not phone you…how tf did you know what to do if that is true, and how can anybody drive with no power steering ffs.
I reckon you’re the type of driver who talks b/s at rdc.s to us young drivers. :unamused:

Got caught out twice in Perth sat nav nearly took me over weight limited bridge then took me left to a height restriction… Luckily managed to reverse out on main road.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

It be true!

I got my licence almost 50 years ago now!
1970 is when I got mine! Only because the ■■■■ government demanded proof that I driven lorries before when they introduced the test. £6 it cost me for the test would you believe!
Much simplier when I was a young’un getting my car licence I just picked it up at the post office for a few shillings with no test nonsense like today.

adam277:
It be true!

I got my licence almost 50 years ago now!
1970 is when I got mine! Only because the ■■■■ government demanded proof that I driven lorries before when they introduced the test. £6 it cost me for the test would you believe!
Much simplier when I was a young’un getting my car licence I just picked it up at the post office for a few shillings with no test nonsense like today.

You know what mate…you’re a bigger ■■■■ wind up merchant than what I am. :laughing:

Hahaha, it’s going well, this thread :smiley:

Here’s my original horsey.
17th Dec 1976. Passed my Class 2 in one the same as this.

flickr.com/photos/rpw934/15417741687

I remember the first sat nav I had. Blaupunkt DVD single din head unit. No screen with no map just an lcd arrow. Basically useless.
Would have been around 2002. Cost a grand and bought it after getting lost in Belfast at night on my first job over there.

First TomTom with proper screen about a year later and have to say that was a revelation to have the map view of the bends ahead on a dark rainy night across the hills somewhere.

I still carried the crate of about 50 AtoZ books around for a good couple of years before trusting it fully

When I started we took the first hour to hitch up the team and grease the axles on the cart.

slowlane:
Sounds like your satnav is in charge.

If my satnav made correct decisions, ALL the time, about the route, restrictions, and such, I would be happy for it to BE in charge. But it doesn’t…so it isn’t.
It tried to send me under a bridge that I thought was too low so I stopped and weighed up the situation, made a decision based on the facts and information I had before me, and then drove cautiously, with a spotter watching, under the bridge. It was my decision. Turned out I was right.
What I was annoyed at originally was that the satnav had sent me that way after I had told it to avoid anything less than 12 feet.