Satnavs and Low bridges? My arse!

Santa:
When I started we took the first hour to hitch up the team and grease the axles on the cart.

Guess your the true old boy then…

Oh wait…

Carryfast!! someone ring the bell and he will tell us a yarn about how the wheel was technology gone too far. :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

steviespain:

robroy:
‘‘Putting in’’ heights, widths, lengths, and programming your Trucker 600s, wtf is all that about? :open_mouth:
No not a scooby. :neutral_face:
I feel like I’m missing out on something here am I?
By trundling along without any drama queen antics, using my cheap jack car sat nav alongside a lot of common sense and a bag full of initiative. :neutral_face:

:laughing: :laughing:

Are you trying to wind me up, Robroy?

See, you big boys do most of your stuff on the big roads, us little, non HGV guys, are at the coal face.

Me ? Wind up…never.
But if you want to play Top Trumps…big roads eh?
I’ll just say…
44 tonner/remote farm deliveries/Cornwall/weekly/most drops on unclassified roads …with big ‘Unsuitable for HGV’ signs .

Yeh go on then, I do want a medal before you ask.
Christ I’m bloody good. :sunglasses: …and very modest. :smiley:

Yeh fair enough I am trying to wind you up. :blush: :smiley:

:smiley:

Wait…what? You ignored the “Unsuitable for HGV” signs? Was this after you’d checked out the route, done loads of research, asked loads of people, checked the maps, tried to find anything that would make you NOT use that route, and then went and did it because you could not find anything that would make you NOT go that way?
And you call yourself a professional driver? What is the world coming to?
:smiley:

I suppose "Unsuitable for HGVs "doesn’t mean “Impassable for HGVs unless with the right driver” eh? :slight_smile:

Santa:
You may have made a good move, using an alternative route on the way back. Taking 3½ tonnes off your cart springs will have raised the body quite a bit.

I remember doing a delivery to a small estate in S Wales, where the only access was through a 12’9" bridge. I got in okay, but on the way out, and just inching forward I touched the bridge. I walked back to where I had made the drop and they sent half-a-dozen men down to stand in the back. It seemed that it was a regular procedure.

I hope they all had fall arrest suits and appropriate PPE wgat with being in the bed of a truck and all that :unamused:

robroy:
By trundling along without any drama queen antics, using my cheap jack car sat nav alongside a lot of common sense and a bag full of initiative. :neutral_face:

Rob, I found a sat nav on eBay. Searched everywhere for the last two gizmo’s but no joy so far.

Would you mind sending me the link ■■

I’d prefer the trucker version or is there an App for them. :wink: :wink:

Santa:
You may have made a good move, using an alternative route on the way back. Taking 3½ tonnes off your cart springs will have raised the body quite a bit.

I remember doing a delivery to a small estate in S Wales, where the only access was through a 12’9" bridge. I got in okay, but on the way out, and just inching forward I touched the bridge. I walked back to where I had made the drop and they sent half-a-dozen men down to stand in the back. It seemed that it was a regular procedure.

When I was starting out a colleague converted a tautliner to a flat this way one morning possibly in South Wales too which was a real eye opener. It could easily have me been me.

No doubt satnavs and google maps are a fantastic aid and before them you couldn’t have an A-Z for every place but often you could jump out and ask.

Passers-by back then lived in a community and they knew their community. They or someone beside them could tell you where the box factory, the abattoir or whatever was.

These days even if the passer-by could speak English they could hardly tell you where the chipper is unfortunately.

Mind you some businesses are nearly as transient as people these days.

Measure a bridge at it lowest point. If that measurement ends in a 0, 3, 6, 9 inches, then deduct 3 inches and sign it at that. If it isn’t then deduct 3 inches, then round down to the nearest 0, 3, 6, 9 inches. So 14’11 would become 14’8", then 14’6"

So a bridge should basically have between 3 and 6 inches of extra clearance than signed

If it also has the height indicated in metric too, that is measured at the lowest point to 2 decimal places, if the last digit is a 8 or 9 delete it and sign it at the measured 1 decimal, so 4.18m would become 4.1m, if 7 or less, delete it and decrease the 1st decimal by 1, do 4.17 becomes 4.0m

It’s not a conversion between the 2, that’s why different bridges may have different metric figures to the same Imperial

That’s all public information

stevieboy308:
Measure a bridge at it lowest point. If that measurement ends in a 0, 3, 6, 9 inches, then deduct 3 inches and sign it at that. If it isn’t then deduct 3 inches, then round down to the nearest 0, 3, 6, 9 inches. So 14’11 would become 14’8", then 14’6"

So a bridge should basically have between 3 and 6 inches of extra clearance than signed

If it also has the height indicated in metric too, that is measured at the lowest point to 2 decimal places, if the last digit is a 8 or 9 delete it and sign it at the measured 1 decimal, so 4.18m would become 4.1m, if 7 or less, delete it and decrease the 1st decimal by 1, do 4.17 becomes 4.0m

It’s not a conversion between the 2, that’s why different bridges may have different metric figures to the same Imperial

That’s all public information

Good info, thanks.
but it did my head in :open_mouth:

i use a 15 year old car satnav thats never been updated usually in the uk for the last few miles.
when abroad i have it on all the time even if i know where im going i case theres roads diverted.
i never look at traffic updates and just wing it when theres greif.
ive a road atlas and coupled with my eyes and brain then ive never came to serious greif yet.
id mostly run a fridge so no biggy for maximum height,but a satnav should be an aid to your brain and gumption and shouldnt be used as the oracle must have standard equipment like the more modern newbies seem to think it is.
they are a great addition to your job,but not the way the modern crew seem to rely on.
there are signs before bridges that you should register and compute automatically.
in the uk theres usually a few inches grace if your commited whereas in europe and especially germany then it is exactly what the sign says.

dieseldog999:
a satnav should be an aid to your brain and gumption and shouldnt be used as the oracle must have standard equipment like the more modern newbies seem to think it is.
they are a great addition to your job,but not the way the modern crew seem to rely on.

+1
Give some of them a choice between losing their sat nav or their dicks and they would actually sit thinking about it deciding. :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

dieseldog999:
a satnav should be an aid to your brain and gumption and shouldnt be used as the oracle must have standard equipment like the more modern newbies seem to think it is.

+1
Give some of them a choice between losing their sat nav or their dicks and they would actually sit thinking about it deciding. :laughing: :laughing:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
nah,by the state othe questions in here they woud most likely put it up on faceache for debate,then go with the majority of likes or dislikes. :slight_smile:

Well, when you say “register and compute automatically” do you mean I should do those calculations which, to be honest, I have never heard of before, and would have to stop to do it.
Or look at the sign, look at my in cab height info, and say “Go/NoGo”?
Because that’s what I did. Its what I’ve always done. I didn’t know about all that complicated maths stuff.

More to the point, I took the appropriate action for the information I had, no-one got hurt (And I didn’t get the sack :slight_smile: )

what calculations other than open your eyes and read the sign?
the entire calculation from start to finish consists of…
theres a bridge sign in front of me.
what height is my truck?
what height is that bridge?
will it fit or not?
that should take even the newest of the new type of stobart inducted kebab meat in a seat hiviz wearing driver something like 3 seconds max to compute irrespective of the outcome and should be done so automatically that you dont realise your doing it to the point that when your driving your car under a 9 ft 6 bridge your somewhat uncomfrtable even though you know its daft.
theres as much calculation to working that out as there is in deciding how big a step to take so you can avoid the cracks in the pavement.
theres nothing wrong in real life trundling under in crawler hanging out the window kakking yourself if your suddenly caught out,but apart from that then anyone hitting a bridge is just a complete cabbage driving carelessly.

Keep up, doggy, will you? :smiley:

If you read what I’ve posted you’ll see that’s exactly what I did.

I was a bit peeved that me satnav took me down there after I’d told it my height limit was 11’10" and the bridge was clearly signed at 11’9"".
That is the main thrusts of this thread, or was :smiley:

steviespain:

I was a bit peeved that me satnav took me down there after I’d told it my height limit was 11’10" and the bridge was clearly signed at 11’9"".

It would appear that no, you were not looking at the signs. Had you been doing so you would have observed the warning signs on the A4180 and would not have made the turn into Station Approach…

I’ve always been under the impression that they add 6 inches to the actual height (just in case), though I can’t recall where I heard this information. I always duck my head on the way through anyway :laughing:

Roymondo:

steviespain:

It would appear that no, you were not looking at the signs. Had you been doing so you would have observed the warning signs on the A4180 and would not have made the turn into Station Approach…

I’ll tell you why I went down there after seeing the warning sign on the main rd. Satnav says I have 500m to go, sign says half mile, or the other way around. Took a chance. As it turned out the place I was delivering to was just, JUST, past the bridge.
I got under the bridge, because it lied about its height and, like I said took all proper precautions.
Sue me [emoji3]

Sent from my Wieppo S6 using Tapatalk

Santa:
When I started we took the first hour to hitch up the team and grease the axles on the cart.

You had horses!!! Bloody poofters.

robroy:

dieseldog999:

+1

Two classics :slight_smile: Brilliant :smiley:

Oh yes, it tried, it really tried, to send me across here. :unamused: :laughing:
google.co.uk/maps/@51.50391 … 384!8i8192
It tried so hard to make me turn around and go over that bridge. So I went old skool, used the sun as a guide (None of yer new fangled map things) and headed south east until it gave in and gave me a different route. :laughing:

^^^^ The secret to ignoring the incessant nagging from the sat nav Stevie (something I do daily btw) is to permanently mute the voice and drive in a direction that your inbuilt compass tells you to go and eventually it’ll catch up and accept the route you already have in your head.

For a truly Zen experience switch the bloody thing off! :wink: