Low Bridges and Sat Nav's

I could do with a little guidance if possible.

One of my customers for DCPC has a terrible problem with bridge strikes. No matter how much we try to ‘train’ the drivers they keep trying to get 15ft plus loads under 14ft bridges etc and the latest one has resulted in a lost load and prosecution for the driver. there was a 18 inch difference in height. They have had two in the last 2 weeks.

The loads are measured by the loaders and this height written on the paperwork. The driver has access to a proper measuring stick and is supposed to then meaure the load once his tractor is under the trailer, then write this next to the original loaders height before he leaves.

It seems from most of them the driver simply ‘forgets’ he has a high load on!

I’m hoping someone can recommend a Sat Nav that bings and bongs on the approach to anything remotely low. I did a quick look online and see the TomTom does this if the right data set is installed but do you guys know of anything off the shelf that works?

We don’t want re-routing or even any routing, we just want bridge alerts in the same way speed cameras work.

Unless anyone has a better idea to make drivers ‘remember’ the high load / low bridge

Cheers
Pete

sack the dik eds only solution, what good will an alarm do if they keep doing it better for all if they owt of work

Using the bridge heights poi from pocket gps world can be installed on any sat nav even non truck specific, this will not route around the bridge as the likes of tomtom 5150 or Snooper does by I does show the bridges with heights on screen and I think you can set an audible warning.
That said would it not be better to route around a low bridge as its only a couple of taps on a screen on a truck specific sat nav to change the height of the vehicle?

Any truck sat nav should do this. Tom Tom with truck map, Snooper, Garmin.

Would a prominent “check your height” sign by the exit help?!

If a driver won’t follow procedures, and won’t take any notice of road signs before or on a bridge, will a bong and a little lorry in a triangle in a corner of a sat nav actually make any difference… but I guess it only has to save one accident to be worth it.

Thought it was a legal requirement to set YOUR HEIGHT INDICATOR IN YOUR CAB! :sunglasses: bong bing :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

If someone does it more than once within a short space of time surely he/she needs training, either a that or a kick up the arse. Theres a bridge by me on the A5 that must get hit once a week, theyve painted it illuminous yellow, put bridge orange height signs either side of it and still it gets whacked, i cant remember the height but will look next time, modern bridge aswell, flat and not arched. Ive been sat in traffic when a lorry is underneath it and theres like an inch gap from the average height trailer :neutral_face:

I look at things like this slightly differently.

No doubt they have some lorry drivers on the books as well as the other sort, they tend to get taken for granted by those who think there’s a never ending supply of A1 drivers out there.

These instances might make the thinking operator appreciate what they already have.
Time to revisit recruitment and remuneration policy ?

lets be honest fellas, this isnt canada with vast open spaces this is jam packed tiny britain, bridges are part of our job its drummed in when learning and hopefully stays that way theres no excuse really yes wer all human so do make mistakes but if i hit a bridge i would give my license to beverly myself goodnight

A lad at our place hit one …his defence was I thought there would of been a few extra inches to what the sign said ■■?

Sounds like more of a problem from the top…

Ive approached a few by mistake when working away its obvious if ya can fit or not … Had some
Awful reverses to do… and word to the general public blarin ya horn and giving me ■■■■■■ gestures doesnt help haha

I think the only way around it is to ‘manage’ these ‘drivers’ out of the company.

We run at 13’9" every trailer is the same so it’s easy for us, I think the management should be a bit more careful with the type of ‘drivers’ they employ, if I was on flats or pulling different trailers, I’d be measuring every time I change the load/trailer!

This could be helped not allowing the loaders to measure the height, instead pass the responsibility (as it is anyway) on to the driver, ie, make them measure it before they leave the yard. Might take an extra 5 minutes but could save £££££

Tarrman:
This could be helped not allowing the loaders to measure the height, instead pass the responsibility (as it is anyway) on to the driver, ie, make them measure it before they leave the yard. Might take an extra 5 minutes but could save £££££

As above.
I am all for techno but in this case could cause more probs than it solves.
“I was distracted by they alarm!”
“The alarm failed to function”

Only fail safe solution is observation and knowing running height!

That’s the answer, put the sole responsibility where it should lie anyway. Teach them how to measure the load properly and after that, bridge strikes shoul either stop or disciplinary measures should take offence. There is no excuse for it.
Lots of us have turned in somewhere we shouldn’t but you don’t keep going. You trust in you’re ability to solve the situation and do what needs to be done to fix the simple mistake before it turns into a costly one. That’s a professional driver.
No piece of technology can fix stupid. If it could it would be a best seller.
I wonder if it’s a case of peanuts and monkeys.
You say your not looking for alternative routing, how else does a 15ft load get to the other side of a 14ft bridge?

shep532:
I could do with a little guidance if possible.

One of my customers for DCPC has a terrible problem with bridge strikes. No matter how much we try to ‘train’ the drivers they keep trying to get 15ft plus loads under 14ft bridges etc and the latest one has resulted in a lost load and prosecution for the driver. there was a 18 inch difference in height. They have had two in the last 2 weeks.

The loads are measured by the loaders and this height written on the paperwork. The driver has access to a proper measuring stick and is supposed to then meaure the load once his tractor is under the trailer, then write this next to the original loaders height before he leaves.

It seems from most of them the driver simply ‘forgets’ he has a high load on!

I’m hoping someone can recommend a Sat Nav that bings and bongs on the approach to anything remotely low. I did a quick look online and see the TomTom does this if the right data set is installed but do you guys know of anything off the shelf that works?

We don’t want re-routing or even any routing, we just want bridge alerts in the same way speed cameras work.

Unless anyone has a better idea to make drivers ‘remember’ the high load / low bridge

Cheers
Pete

there’s a device called bridgeclear , put it in the truck set the height and it sounds an alarm if you’re approaching a bridge too low. I seem to recall we trialed something along those lines years ago at Salvesen

Politely advise your client that if they paid a decent rate they would open themselves up to decent drivers that would be capable of doing the job.

Cheers
Neilf

No excuses for it.

Its second nature ''i’m driving a truck - there are signs for a low bridge ahead = :question: ‘’

ajt:
No excuses for it.

Its second nature ''i’m driving a truck - there are signs for a low bridge ahead = :question: ‘’

Have you ever made a mistake?

neilf:
Politely advise your client that if they paid a decent rate they would open themselves up to decent drivers that would be capable of doing the job.

Cheers
Neilf

How much do humans that don’t make mistakes cost out of interest?!!