Satnav

Just wanted to post that I have just started using a Tomtom 620 professional satnav today albeit in the car. As it’s my first truck satnav I have nothing to compare it to but it feels quality. I have it set to 32 tonne truck dimensions and even though I could over-ride whilst I was dropping CV’s in my car today it warned me every time about a restriction. Pricey at £275 from Halfords but I think it will come in handy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I got myself, after reading a few reviews, an XGody 886 for £40.49 :grimacing: I’m going to start using it tomorrow and will share my views. So far, I’m impressed with the options and interface.

Cheers
Rav

I have a tomtom6250 cost me £330, the interface and simplistic easy to use however it is not fool proof 95% its fine but sometimes it take me down low bridges, also when planning a route it will take me down a narrow countryside road even though there no restrictions but i would prefer the big open a road.

I have used a 7" Xgody for years all over Europe and the only problem I have had is that they don’t bounce !
Especially if dropped from dash height directly onto concrete. That is when you’re glad you only spent £37 and not several £100s on a big name brand.
I still used a truckers map to fix basic routes in my mind at the start of most journeys.
All of the various makes have gliches in them of some sort but common sense will normally get you through , use them as a guide only

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
I have used a 7" Xgody for years all over Europe and the only problem I have had is that they don’t bounce !
Especially if dropped from dash height directly onto concrete. That is when you’re glad you only spent £37 and not several £100s on a big name brand.
I still used a truckers map to fix basic routes in my mind at the start of most journeys.
All of the various makes have gliches in them of some sort but common sense will normally get you through , use them as a guide only

That’s basically my approach/thinking. I guess you can spend hundreds of ££ and still end up facing a low bridge if you thoroughly rely on technology. My employer introduced an internal app which recognises your van’s dimensions and has a ‘carefully planned’ (my arse) route for each and every drop you are scheduled to make. Used it only once after it took me to a low bridge twice in a day :laughing:

Rav

Rav:

grumpyken52:

That’s basically my approach/thinking. I guess you can spend hundreds of ££ and still end up facing a low bridge if you thoroughly rely on technology. My employer introduced an internal app which recognises your van’s dimensions and has a ‘carefully planned’ (my arse) route for each and every drop you are scheduled to make. Used it only once after it took me to a low bridge twice in a day [emoji38]

Rav

They tend to take you off a motorway over a roundabout and back onto the motorway for some strange reason.

Rav:
And I got myself, after reading a few reviews, an XGody 886 for £40.49 :grimacing: I’m going to start using it tomorrow and will share my views. So far, I’m impressed with the options and interface.

Cheers
Rav

I use the xgoody. Got to say not bad for price. Although twice now it has taken me in direction of low bridge, despite typing in parameters.
Just have to continue to read road signs…shock

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

DF40:

Rav:

Cheers
Rav

I use the xgoody. Got to say not bad for price. Although twice now it has taken me in direction of low bridge, despite typing in parameters.
Just have to continue to read road signs…shock

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I reckon they all might have similar issues regardless of how much you’ve paid…

Rav

Thankfully I’ve been driving cars for 25 years so I drove lots before satnavs came along. I’ve also got my large HGV road atlas plus my eyes. It’s a tool to help but not rely on. Comes with lifetime map updates so if I look after it I should get years out it. Being a Yorkshireman I don’t like spending unless I have to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can i recommend anyone buying an expensive one also buys a screen protector for them. Dropped my first Tomtom on handbrake of truck and smashed screen - very hard to replace on tomtoms.

Never had it head for low bridge so far but not every one is known about as councils don’t have to notify anyone, bit like weight limits. Plus the heights change sometimes.

They will try daft roads on.occasions. As for going over roundabouts, its jist worried about hitting the motorway bridges so avoids them…unlike that lowloader on the M20 last year. :wink: