Sadiq Kahn's direct vision to ban most construction vehicles

roaduser66:
These vehicles regularly kill,

no they dont

roaduser66:
the driver climbs out of the cab and says “Blind spot innit”.

No they dont

roaduser66:
Criminality is rampant

No its not

roaduser66:
The road freight industry has fought against extra safety checks, lobbied for longer trucks on the roads and resisted compliance controls.

The hypocrisy of someone like you moaning about others fighting against checks and compliance issues is somewhat breath taking

cav551:
Er No, It’s London’s waste they can keep it inside their boundaries thank you very much.

Oh don’t be petty :slight_smile: think of all the benefits, 1000’s of warehousing and cross decking jobs just outside London, of course TFL would have to charge the end user for the service, but having a self legislated monopoly they could , unhindered by market forces set the rate to ensure they employ enough civil servants to thoroughly administer the scheme, More jobs inside London, another benefit. Of course the prices inside London for just about everything would go through the roof, but I am sure that the residents will be happy to pay to keep our killer juggernauts off their streets

Read the article:

Lorries are involved in more than half the cycling deaths on London’s roads, and more than a fifth of pedestrian deaths, despite making up only 4% of motor traffic.

theguardian.com/uk-news/201 … y-cyclists

3 September 2014
There were more convictions for drivers’ hours and tachograph offences in 2013-14 than in the previous year, according to transport minister Claire Perry.

In response to a parliamentary question about the number of British and non-UK HGV drivers found to be committing an offence under drivers’ hours law, Perry revealed that a total of 4,050 convictions were made in 2013-14, up 6% on the 3,794 in 2012-13.

commercialmotor.com/news/dri … says-perry

That’s complete nonsense.

Why, it seems to me to be a perect solution, Cyclists can continue to believe they can do no wrong, the haulage industry doesn’t get weighed down with restrictive legislation to appease the unregulated cyclist lobby and TFL gains a lot of employees and a decent income. seems like everyone wins (unless you need to buy your food in London)

Rikki-UK:

That’s complete nonsense.

Why, it seems to me to be a perect solution, Cyclists can continue to believe they can do no wrong, the haulage industry doesn’t get weighed down with restrictive legislation to appease the unregulated cyclist lobby and TFL gains a lot of employees and a decent income. seems like everyone wins (unless you need to buy your food in London)

Which cyclist told you they think no cyclist is ever wrong? Do you know how hysterical you appear when you make stuff up like this?

Read the article:

You do know what targeted enforcement is?

the reason that prosecutions have gone up is the authorities have a lot more information now a days available and are able to stop those vehicles more likely to be causing an offence, and not wasting their time and resources on the huge majority of haulage companies running perfectly compliant.

As to your statistics : you do know that 99.9% of the 1000’s of trucks running into the capital every day have by the drivers skill and vigilance avoided killing anyone stupid to squeeze up their insides on a bicycle despite the warning signs /lights, and warning klaxons pointing out the vehicle is turning left.

roaduser66:

Rikki-UK:

It’s a sensible move.

No- a sensible move would be for the haulage industry to point out they have spent millions on safer trucks, safer driver schemes ,driver education, compliance regulation and more, the cyclists haven’t been made/asked to modify their road behaviour in any way.

That’s complete nonsense. We had the advert earlier this week exhorting riders to “hang back”, as if they have a choice. In most HGV/cyclist collisions it is the DRIVER who is at fault, so any measure intended to reduce injuries and deaths ought naturally to focus on the source of the danger- drivers. The road freight industry has fought against extra safety checks, lobbied for longer trucks on the roads and resisted compliance controls. Extremely wealthy companies are saving money by putting lethal vehicles on the roads, mostly for construction. Finally they are being tackled. Any reputable company would support any initiative aimed at reducing harm rather than annoyance. Law breaking cyclists are annoying, law breaking HGV drivers are lethal.

so cyclists can’t make their own minds up about hanging back,of course they have a choice,if I cycled around and a hgv was turning left my thoughts would be to hang back and not go through on the inside [which a lot of idiot cyclists do] thus saving my own life,also if drivers are at fault as you are suggesting look at the idiot cyclist not looking where he was going and went into the back of a stationary car because he was looking down at the road[you tube],well deserved in my opinion,taught him a lesson he won’t forget,are you an hgv driver,if not stay off this site,try the cycling forums where you can blame us to your hearts content

Once again, most victims are run down from behind. The cyclist and pedestrian did nothing wrong. You think all the pedestrians killed by these drivers are stupid? All the cyclists and all the pedestrians killed by these drivers were all stupid, that’s your argument? So, these pedestrians and cyclists must wait for construction vehicles to get killed by. They must be sensible pedestrians and cyclists around all other vehicles, and then when they see a construction vehicle they become stupid pedestrians and cyclists. That must be it. There can’t be another solution.

To my knowledge only 3 firms make the low down lorry’s Mercedes Volvo Dennis.How long dose it take
to develop a new model.The only low down lorry’s iv’e seen are class 2.

Do you know how hysterical you appear when you make stuff up like this?

Do you realise how blinded you appear by not accepting that cyclist must also take responsibility for their actions on the road and be accountable for them - there is an issue and the haulage industry is doing more than its share to make a difference the only people not willing to stand up and say we must also change are cyclists. Why wont cyclists accept a registration and permit scheme for cycling in London that can be taken away if cyclist contravene traffic laws?

The vehicles with the poorest visibility are owned by firms that have three years to replace them, TFL and GLA contracts won’t be awarded to non-compliant firms from April next year. Companies have plenty of time but it may raise awkward questions if a driver of one of these lethal trucks kills someone before then.

Rikki-UK:

Do you know how hysterical you appear when you make stuff up like this?

Do you realise how blinded you appear by not accepting that cyclist must also take responsibility

I have never argued otherwise, so I will thank you for not making up stuff I never said.

Now, who said to you that no cyclist ever accepts responsibility? Who said that? Who are you talking about?

roaduser66:
Once again, most victims are run down from behind. The cyclist and pedestrian did nothing wrong. You think all the pedestrians killed by these drivers are stupid? All the cyclists and all the pedestrians killed by these drivers were all stupid, that’s your argument? So, these pedestrians and cyclists must wait for construction vehicles to get killed by. They must be sensible pedestrians and cyclists around all other vehicles, and then when they see a construction vehicle they become stupid pedestrians and cyclists. That must be it. There can’t be another solution.

No you are the one that is saying all the drivers are wrong, and therefore only drivers have responsibility for what happens on the road, what everyone here is trying to get you to understand is that the haulage industry has made massive efforts to make the roads safer for all users, while the cyclist community as a whole wont take any responsibility for their own safety at all. so going back to TFL doing all deliveries/collections inside London you haven’t explained yet why this is a bad idea- I thought you would be all for it. would keep us nasty killer trucks out

Would you support and registration and permit scheme for cyclists in London so the ones who give all you law abiding courteous cyclists such a bad name ( and there is a lot of them) can be effectively removed from Londons roads, like the law does with rogue haulage operators

No you are the one that is saying all the drivers are wrong, and therefore only drivers have responsibility for what happens on the road

I have said nothing of the kind, once again you are lying about what I said. STFU if you are unable to post without lying.

I wouldn’t waste time replying to him Rikki, he’s just a troll. I’ve spent most of this past week running rubble and muck out of Oxfords’ suburbs, encountering cyclists at junctions, shared spaces and narrow residential streets. This was all in a fairly high up Daf CF 8wheeler with no “please please be careful” stickers on the back, no talking indicator warning, no underrun protection and a distinct lack of FORS compliance. I’ve had no problems whatsoever, and my boss is likely to replace my truck with a nice high CF construction in the next year or two.
On the subject of the low cabs, I know that the Econic has variable ride heights depending on urban, normal roads or off roading.

roaduser66:

No you are the one that is saying all the drivers are wrong, and therefore only drivers have responsibility for what happens on the road

I have said nothing of the kind, once again you are lying about what I said. STFU if you are unable to post without lying.

so you would agree with a permit and registration scheme for cyclists in London so they can be held accountable and if serious can be taken off the roads like cars and trucks? yes or no… its not a difficult question but you seem incapable of answering

Of course not. It would be hugely expensive to administer and police and wouldn’t do much good for anyone. It’s a pointless and stupid suggestion, you think the police have time to check bicycle registrations? Why are you waffling on about bike licences when the story’s about killer trucks? Can you find any evidence, from anywhere, that registering a bike stops HGV drivers from hitting it? It’s a bloody stupid idea.

Most victims are women, most of the women are middle aged. These aren’t BMX bandits or lycra warriors, they’re professional women who may be rather more timid than their male colleagues. Ying Tao and Moira Gemmell, for instance. Characterising middle aged women as suicidal lycra racers is just silly.

Rikki-UK:

It’s a sensible move.

No- a sensible move would be for the haulage industry to point out they have spent millions on safer trucks, safer driver schemes ,driver education, compliance regulation and more, the cyclists haven’t been made/asked to modify their road behaviour in any way.

So the only sensible way left is for the hauliers to take their goods to the fringes of London and leave it to TFL to get them all to the delivery points, and also to bring all the construction waste out to the same area- that way TFL can spend the money that hauliers simply don’t have on trucks that are only any good in London, and the haulage industry can stop being demonised by people who refuse to take any responsibility for their own actions on the road.

Sounds like a great plan to me

Absolutely. Drop everything at hubs on the fringe of greater London and let mr mayor have the headache and cost.
Cyclists/pedestrians/motor vehicles in a city is a bad idea on paper,but if EVERYONE thinks what they’re doing it works.
I’m not saying us truck drivers are completely blameless,but I spend 5 days a week avoiding aimless pedestrians and cyclists. At least once a week a cyclist comes up my inside when I’m indicating left.I ride motorbikes so I’m pro-bike,but the way some of them ride down the A102/A2 in the afternoon rush hour makes me cringe. Everyone has work to do and the haulage industry has done more than it’s fair share

roaduser66:
Of course not. It would be hugely expensive to administer and police and wouldn’t do much good for anyone.

It would be no more expensive than the current car registration scheme , probably a lot cheaper as the data infrastructure is already in place. you may have to pay for the scheme buti f it would enable road users that flout the law to be identified and taken off the roads, surely that’s a good thing for all you law abiding cyclists?

It’s a pointless and stupid suggestion, you think the police have time to check bicycle registrations?

ANPR is a wonderful thing look it up

Why are you waffling on about bike licences when the story’s about killer trucks? Can you find any evidence, from anywhere, that registering a bike stops HGV drivers from hitting it? It’s a bloody stupid idea.

it helps indentify the vehicles in danger off or involved in causing an accident and helped take those vehicles and drivers of the road why are you so scared of that for ALL road users?

Most victims are women, most of the women are middle aged. These aren’t BMX bandits or lycra warriors, they’re professional women who may be rather more timid than their male colleagues. Ying Tao and Moira Gemmell, for instance. Characterising middle aged women as suicidal lycra racers is just silly

Just what steps has the cycling community taken to ensure these people are adequately trained and equipped to deal with busy crowded streets? a registration and permit scheme could involve mandatory training ( call it a cycling test) to help them understand the dangers. I cant believe as an upstanding member of the cycling community you could object in helping ensure your fellow cyclists receive all the help and advice they may need to share the road together with everyone else as safely as possible.

All the above is legistlation and training to conform with FORS/CLOCS etc that haulage companies running into London take part in/abide by, so remind me again just what is YOUR cycling community doing to keep everyone as safe as possible? or is it not your responsibility?

when the story’s about killer trucks?

No the stories about trying to get everyone home safe, your comment there simply shows your prejudice over this subject. You cannot accept that your community also has to take part and be proactive on your own behalf

Nobody is proposing registering bicycles as a solution because it’s an absurd idea. Even the Nazis gave up on the idea cos it’s too dumb. Feel free to lobby your MP about it. Meanwhile measures to make roads safer properly target the danger- drivers, and disproportionately HGV drivers.