More truck bashing on radio 2

London mayors Kahn on radio 2 waffling on about truck safety. And cyclists deaths and were to.blame for them. Not the cyclists who cut us up and mount pavements jump red lights.

From next year we have to apply for a permit probably at a cost

Truck has be a greenhouse all glass type. Have all.round cameras fitted.
And if don’t it’s 500 a day penalty.

Why do trucks always get blame for everything?

Because theyre an easy target, hauliers who do regular work into London will burden the full cost, so Mayor Khan can ask for whatever he wants and it wont cost him anything…if i had my way, i would stop doing any deliveries into the capital or any other until they allow trucks to make night deliveries, or stop coming up with crazy ideas that cost a haulier lots of cash he doesnt have.
Motorist are also a target…they said buy a diesel, they are great for the environment…then when everyone bought one, they said, we are going to ban em from all major capitals, not just in the uk, but in europe too…and they have just announced Bristol could be the first to ban them first…

Yep…make life difficult for the city motorist,whilst simultaneously launching initiatives to"bring back the high street"

■■■■ the high street

Shuttes down all day…and kebab shop at night.

Trucks get the blame because no one likes them, generally they dont understand the importance of the role but because they have a car license they think they could do the job because it’s just driving from A to B, innit?

What annoys me often with cyclists is that the complaint is that the lorry driver didnt see the cyclist (approx 5’x2’x5’) and no one says why didnt the cyclist see the truck (50’x8’x14’) as s/he rode up the side of it and stopped around the rear of the cab.

edd1974:
London mayors Kahn on radio 2 waffling on about truck safety. And cyclists deaths and were to.blame for them. Not the cyclists who cut us up and mount pavements jump red lights.

I have to be honest in a lot of cases it seems to be tipper trucks and in quite a lot they do also seem to be at fault in some way.

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b … g-20535918

Its about time the haulage industry stood up for itself and told Kahn to go ■■■■ himself and stop delivering to anywhere inside the M25. With in a week he might have a different opinion on truck drivers!

How many of us truckers have already gone on a course regarding “cyclist’s safety”?

Now compare that to the number of cyclists who have even got their cycling proficiency badges - before going out on the road, clueless as to even the bare basics of “not running red lights”, or “having lights at night” or even “wearing hi viz clothing and ankle clips”… :unamused:

Sediq Khan - would blame the sea for drowning people that jump in it… Or “getting wet” come to that…

Just imagine it; you have a delivery of construction materials into Central London. As always the address you have been provided with is just the name of a road and the construction company you’re looking for. You’ve noticed on the paperwork it says; “arrive no later than 9am”.

You know this one isn’t going to be easy. You are forbidden to venture too far into town before 7am. That’s quite inconvenient, seeing as you’ll now be fighting your way through rush hour traffic and thousands of people commuting on their bikes and on foot. Your route is going to involve copious left hand turns which will see your trailer wheels encroach many a blue cycle lane. Not that you’ll see much of said cycle lane once you’ve made your turn seeing as you’re in a 44 tonne, 50ft plus vehicle. During this journey you have burned through 3 hours driving time, and 4 hours working time fully in the knowledge that you have absolutely no where to have a “proper” legal break. On several occasions you’ve narrowly missed being caught short in a yellow box junction, through no fault of your own. Finally you arrive at your destination. A man in full hi viz neon orange who you assume to be the gate supervisor is shouting at you in poor English; “Go around the block!!! Oi. You! Around the block. We don’t have room for you!!”. At this point you have just about had enough. You’re blood pressure is through the roof and your nerves are shot. You make your way “around the block”, attempting to make yet another tight left hand turn at a poorly designed and overly congested junction and BANG! A cyclist has completely ignored your indicators, your road positioning, the silly recording of a robot telling them you’re turning left and a great bloody sticker saying not to pass you on the inside and has gone straight underneath your trailer.

While this is happening, somewhere on the other side of London, Sadiq Kahn and some university graduates at TFL are hard at work trying to dream up another expensive scheme to convince the public that this is all of your fault. They will all get a pat on the back. You will end up driving a greenhouse with stickers, speakers and cameras all over it.

Well said. I did bikability for my fors membership.
All the emphasis seems.to be on educating drivers…making us a scape goat.
Why don’t they educate cyclists start in schools.
Bring back cycle profencoy courses.

And have a clamp down on a regular basis on cyclists who cut us up jump red lights Educate them as well.
If caught make them.attened a course.

Or maybe mayor Khan should spend a shift as a passenger in a truck. Then he might realise.
Instead of sitting in his office…
He doesn’t have a clue about the real world at times

Classic tripe and waffle from khan.
He has “sat in a truck” though so obviously knows what he’s talking about.
As a caller said it is unbelievable how the cyclists swarm around you at the lights from all directions, suicidal
The best line was vines though…" if it is not safe for a bike to undertake a truck, then trucks should not be allowed to overtake anything"

I think this current generation of cyclists are a write off. There is no amount of training, tutorials or tiny little windows in the back of your a*se that will make the situation any better either way. I think this needs to start with the kids. They should be investing money into drilling it into their heads from an early age.

Wouldn’t hurt to engage children as well. Why not get a truck into some schools, teach them how to stay safe and respect lorries when out cycling on the road. May as well try and iron this problem out with the next generation rather than trying to teach an old dog new tricks so to speak.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Because sometimes they are to blame. There have been many deaths of cyclists due to drivers not paying attention.

I know how bad cyclists are but there is so much bias on this website sometimes.

There are BAD cyclists and there are BAD drivers. It ain’t always the others fault. :unamused:

if i was on a bike then id be looking out to make sure i dont become an organ donor.
driving a truck,im not looking out for something 50 times my size to squidge me,hence irrespective of whos bad or not,then your masic sense of survival should tell you to stay well out of the road of trucks in your immediate vicinity or pay the penalty for being unobservant to immediate threats in your vicinity.
steam may well be meant to give way to sail,but try telling that to the stena ferry sailing down belfast lough when tha fannys are tiddling about in their wee yachts.

Education is what’s needed here, it needs to be drummed into kids from an early age that being in a trucks (or even a vans) blind spot is a dangerous place to be.
If I ever find myself next to a lorry or large van, either in my car or motorbike, I always try and move to where I assume the driver can plainly see me, this mainly comes about from 25+ years of HGV driving but it would be nice to have this behaviour instilled into every road user.

When DHL was my employer, we did a scheme called “Trucks And Child Safety”. We would take an artic to a local school and show the kids how easy it was to hide an entire class of children in the “blind spots”, then we’d get them all to stand behind the truck and shout/scream as loud as they could for the driver to STOP, while one of their number in the cab confirmed that they couldn’t hear any of it. For the climax of our “performance” my mate and I would stand a junk bicycle alongside the unit and show what happened to it when the driver moved off and turned left. We had our own little embellishment, in that we had a couple of watermelons. We would put one of them with the bike and explain that it represented the rider’s head. It provided a very graphic demonstration, but we never had any complaints (despite one or two of the kids being quite upset by it).

The most positive feedback though came from the parents and teachers who also saw the demonstration - lots of them were quite shocked at just how restricted the view from the cab was.

edd1974:

It’s bad, but not quite that bad.

The permits are free, and the truck doesn’t need to be as described…or not yet at least

tfl.gov.uk/info-for/deliveries- … rry-scheme

What is interesting is how resistant TfL has been to admitting that its own buses might be less than perfect when it comes to vulnerable road users…

saferoxfordstreet.blogspot.com/ … -five.html

Good. I know my company will neither pay 500 a day or get the required trucks with glass or cameras all round which means they’ll just refuse any work to central London and let some other mug do it. Happy days.

GasGas:

edd1974:

It’s bad, but not quite that bad.

The permits are free, and the truck doesn’t need to be as described…or not yet at least

tfl.gov.uk/info-for/deliveries- … rry-scheme

What is interesting is how resistant TfL has been to admitting that its own buses might be less than perfect when it comes to vulnerable road users…

saferoxfordstreet.blogspot.com/ … -five.html

FORS started off for free. Won’t be long before companies are paying for it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:

Because sometimes they are to blame. There have been many deaths of cyclists due to drivers not paying attention.

I know how bad cyclists are but there is so much bias on this website sometimes.

There are BAD cyclists and there are BAD drivers. It ain’t always the others fault. :unamused:

Why do trucks get the blame for everything?

Because no truck driver has ever been killed by a cyclist.

I’m not passing opinion here, before I get shot down, just pointing out what the public see.

wood fuel:

jakethesnake:

Why do trucks get the blame for everything?

Because no truck driver has ever been killed by a cyclist.

I’m not passing opinion here, before I get shot down, just pointing out what the public see.

Pretty much. Regardless of fault when it’S HGV vs cyclist who is going to come off worse every time? We are the “professional” drivers and they don’t need any licence legally so we are expected to be the ones to cut them slack and be aware of what’s up the near side and be anticipating even with an indicator on they might still come up the inside etc. We all know that’s what happens so we should be assuming it will happen.