More truck bashing on radio 2

talknonsense:
Just imagine it; you have a delivery of construction materials into Central London. As always the address you have been provided with is just the name of a road and the construction company you’re looking for. You’ve noticed on the paperwork it says; “arrive no later than 9am”.

You know this one isn’t going to be easy. You are forbidden to venture too far into town before 7am. That’s quite inconvenient, seeing as you’ll now be fighting your way through rush hour traffic and thousands of people commuting on their bikes and on foot. Your route is going to involve copious left hand turns which will see your trailer wheels encroach many a blue cycle lane. Not that you’ll see much of said cycle lane once you’ve made your turn seeing as you’re in a 44 tonne, 50ft plus vehicle. During this journey you have burned through 3 hours driving time, and 4 hours working time fully in the knowledge that you have absolutely no where to have a “proper” legal break. On several occasions you’ve narrowly missed being caught short in a yellow box junction, through no fault of your own. Finally you arrive at your destination. A man in full hi viz neon orange who you assume to be the gate supervisor is shouting at you in poor English; “Go around the block!!! Oi. You! Around the block. We don’t have room for you!!”. At this point you have just about had enough. You’re blood pressure is through the roof and your nerves are shot. You make your way “around the block”, attempting to make yet another tight left hand turn at a poorly designed and overly congested junction and BANG! A cyclist has completely ignored your indicators, your road positioning, the silly recording of a robot telling them you’re turning left and a great bloody sticker saying not to pass you on the inside and has gone straight underneath your trailer.

While this is happening, somewhere on the other side of London, Sadiq Kahn and some university graduates at TFL are hard at work trying to dream up another expensive scheme to convince the public that this is all of your fault. They will all get a pat on the back. You will end up driving a greenhouse with stickers, speakers and cameras all over it.

Contender for…

Post of the year.

Personally I agree with the Mayor.
Ban all trucks from London.

Got my first parking ticket the other day in central London while delivering to tesco and outside of tesco in a tesco lorry.
Ye Tesco can afford to cough up parking fines but imagine how many smaller shops are going bust because of the stupid regulations on trucks.

adam277:
Personally I agree with the Mayor.
Ban all trucks from London.

Got my first parking ticket the other day in central London while delivering to tesco and outside of tesco in a tesco lorry.
Ye Tesco can afford to cough up parking fines but imagine how many smaller shops are going bust because of the stupid regulations on trucks.

I think it would be a fantastic idea. Relocate all the supermarkets, McDonald’s, big shops etc that require HGV deliveries to outer London and only have stores that can be serviced by 3.5 or 7.5 ton vehicles in central London. See how long it lasts before everyone including the mayor wants the trucks back.

it ,might be easier to make it obligatory for london deliveries to have a second man with a box of tennis balls and a water pistol to hang out the window shouting"get back you stupid barstewards"…it would save any truck modifications and creates extra jobs at the same time.
obviously having a couple of spare pish bottles at the ready to lob at the more determined organ donors who cant take a hint.

albion:
What annoys me often with cyclists is that the complaint is that the lorry driver didnt see the cyclist (approx 5’x2’x5’) and no one says why didnt the cyclist see the truck (50’x8’x14’) as s/he rode up the side of it and stopped around the rear of the cab.

Extremely simple - ■■■■■■■■ in London are scared stiff to blame ANYTHING on Lycra ■■■■■ in case it upsets them.

They have a far better lobby lot than truckers do. Any lobbying for trucks is more “how can we be shafted more to help you protect the morons ?”

RHA are totally toothless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:

albion:
What annoys me often with cyclists is that the complaint is that the lorry driver didnt see the cyclist (approx 5’x2’x5’) and no one says why didnt the cyclist see the truck (50’x8’x14’) as s/he rode up the side of it and stopped around the rear of the cab.

Extremely simple - [zb] in London are scared stiff to blame ANYTHING on Lycra [zb] in case it upsets them.

They have a far better lobby lot than truckers do. Any lobbying for trucks is more “how can we be shafted more to help you protect the morons ?”

RHA are totally toothless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call me a conspiracy theorist here but the elections for Mayor of London are being held next year. All of the cyclists and pedestrians who will “benefit” from this latest scheme collectively hold a hell of a lot of potential votes between them. I’m sure the timing of this is purely coincidental.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Boycott London deliveries that stenching islamist twunt khan would soon shut up.

Boring double post.

Rowley010:
Good. I know my company will neither pay 500 a day or get the required trucks with glass or cameras all round which means they’ll just refuse any work to central London and let some other mug do it. Happy days.

This is pretty much my view, my volvo has a zero DVS rating for this HGV safety permit coming in next October and is euro 5 anyway so won’t be going into the LEZ.

I hope Bristol brings in this deiesl ban from 7am to 3pm.
And can’t see it lasting long as place with come to a halt no deliveres will be done that early .
If any company’s go there will be after 3pm
So we’re all be entering the city at 3pm.to deliver and be leaving just intome for.rush hour along with all the workers. The place will grind to a halt .
It a bad enough now getting in and.out of Bristol in rush hour.
Be even worse when you add in all.the white van and truck deliveres waiting untill 3pm