Safer lorries

The idiots latest idea

commercialmotor.com/latest-n … News_CM%0A

How much more crap are firms going to put up with before they say enough is enough

That is total bs.Why not just boycott london and not go in to it then see how long its would last when nothing gets taken in.

Just clocked your signature Colin, welcome aboard mate. :smiley:

Some of the Ford Cargo’s and the Volvo FH’s and even the Austin Morris FG lorries had ‘little windows’ at the bottom of the doors, or on the front corner panel to aid visibility. Having said that though, despite drivers needing to have eyes up their aspidistra, with the best will in the world you can’t look everywhere at the same time and cyclists really need to take some responsibility for their own actions. Most truck drivers are employed to deliver goods, not to nursemaid the terminally stupid.

I would love nothing more than for truckers to blockade London and refuse to deliver there, till they get a fairer deal, but we all know how spineless the transport industry has become. I personally simply won’t go into London anymore, I know lots of other drivers that won’t either.

What I want to know is why are the lorries expected to carry all the weight of this and no blame is put on the cyclists?

How on earth do they think you can retrofit ‘side panels’ and larger windows exactly■■? So Boris thinks the likes of DAF, Scania, Volvo etc are all going to suddenly design & manufacture new doors with big windows because he says so?

Or are we going to be cutting holes in the door skin & door structure, then the door cards too, then fit an extra window? Yeah… that’ll work just great. The doors themselves actually form part of the crash structure, to help maintain the shape of the cab (and thus space for the occupant/s) in the event of a crash. Take that steel away and replace it all with glass and you will have a weak side structure - Look what happens to a curtainsider thats hit a bridge.

the maoster:
Just clocked your signature Colin, welcome aboard mate. :smiley:

Thought a would join since dozy does give a good laugh and not shy to voice himself.

what use is a passenger lower door window going to be if you can’t see through it when you got a passenger in your cab and their legs will be blocking the view?

have you noticed that cycling groups are being consulted,why,not saying they are allways in the wrong but a majority of the time they are,i bet they are loving it trying to come up with new ways to make transport companies fork out the readies

Quite a few tipper firms in London have already started fitting Windows in the n/s door

All trucks/lorries/wagons get retro fitted with these new doors at a huge cost, London cyclists realise we can see them through this wonderful new window, cyclists then start hanging a couple of feet back behind the window because this new addition is spoiling their YouTube channel hits…

kr79:
Quite a few tipper firms in London have already started fitting Windows in the n/s door

Does it reduce the amount the passenger window will wind down?

A grand…the bloody sign writing repair and the paintwork will cost that much at a main dealers …the metal bashing and redesign of the window mechanism etc etc would cost a lot more. and WTF will drivers do with their fridge that will block the view anyway ! Teach the dozy ■■■■■■■■ on the bike that natural selection works when arguing with a truck.

Muckaway:

kr79:

Does it reduce the amount the passenger window will wind down?

Don’t know but I guess it would by looking at them

Just ban trucks from London, we all know you want to Boris!

If it makes you feel any better I refuse to deliver into London. More drivers need to grow a spine.

hedg70:
If it makes you feel any better I refuse to deliver into London. More drivers need to grow a spine.

I’m lucky, my boss refuses any London work. All it needs is a high profile name to say that enough is enough and it could escalate.
Leave the London work to London companies then they will have a monopoly and charge what the hell they like.

Conor:
What I want to know is why are the lorries expected to carry all the weight of this and no blame is put on the cyclists?

+1
Why are they on the nearside approaching a left turn junction? If the truck is overtaking then the driver is at fault but if the cyclist is undertaking then they are at fault!

LIBERTY_GUY:
the terminally stupid.

That’ll be Boris then …

Sorry to be controversial but what about safer drivers. We need safer drivers and cyclists to stop being brain dead.
Just yesterday we were sat at a set of traffic lights (not in London ) and my other half was driving. It was a dual carriageway and we were in the outside lane. On the inside was an artic. I watched the driver as I sat there. He was lucky if he checked his mirrors once and he certainly never checked them before moving off.
I know all drivers are not like that but just try it sometime and tell me I am wrong. I watch regularly and there are an awful lot that are appalling when it comes to mirrors.
Stop blaming the cyclists all the time. We are meant to be the professionals.