Safer lorries

peirre:

LIBERTY_GUY:
the terminally stupid.

That’ll be Boris then …

Now you should be able to spot HIM with that mop of white hair.

The ‘windows’ go into the lower part of the door, the bit above the step so out the way of any winder mechanisms, but those that night out will need to have some mini frilly curtains made up to cover that intrusion into their cabs. I don’t want to see ‘truck cleavage’ through that orifice… :open_mouth:

I recently drove a truck with cameras all around that patched the image onto a single screen to give a panoramic view around the truck. All very good except that some cyclists are still rushing up the side of trucks when the lights have changed and the truck is actually in motion. Just remember it not all about cyclists, we also have to look out for pedestrians, traffic signals, what the other vehicles are up to, street furniture, clearance issues, road markings, as well as looking for streets or turnoffs either via satnav or eyeballing. Even Marty Feldman couldn’t look in both mirrors at the same time and manage to look at a camera screen…

None of this will reduce the deaths, as it is the cyclists that keep putting themselves in those lethal situations to begin with.

I think we’d better keep our eyes peeled for any old Leyland Roadrunners that maybe lying in bushes.
Just had a suicidal builder walk up the inside of my truck as I came off a site. There is a segregated walkway made up of clip together metal fencing but as I’m making the now dangerous left turn, he hops over the fence and walks between that and the lorry. I saw him in plenty of time so just stopped and gave him a toot which got the site agents’ attention. The last I saw of silly builder he was getting a good telling off. :laughing:

Muckaway:

hedg70:
If it makes you feel any better I refuse to deliver into London. More drivers need to grow a spine.

I’m lucky, my boss refuses any London work. All it needs is a high profile name to say that enough is enough and it could escalate.
Leave the London work to London companies then they will have a monopoly and charge what the hell they like.

That won’t be a lot there’s not a lot of muck at the moment.
Two big jobs in London and not much else both flooded with 70-80 lorry’s every morning

My boss has also stated that as of September 1st we will not be going into London anymore :smiley: :laughing: I appreciate his decision and have patted him on the back.

kr79:
That won’t be a lot there’s not a lot of muck at the moment.
Two big jobs in London and not much else both flooded with 70-80 lorry’s every morning

CJ Pryors’ are getting up our way this week, it’s slowed down up here too. The big firms aren’t using many subbies I’ve done a bit out High Wycombe way on chalk to fill in time. Our 8w is parked up Monday, I’ve got a day on the 6 in the Cotswolds and the boss has a busy one in our 7.5t so we’re not fussed. Not so good for the subbies who rely on the muckshifting/quarry boys though.

LIBERTY_GUY:

peirre:

LIBERTY_GUY:
the terminally stupid.

That’ll be Boris then …

The ‘windows’ go into the lower part of the door, the bit above the step so out the way of any winder mechanisms, but those that night out will need to have some mini frilly curtains made up to cover that intrusion into their cabs. I don’t want to see ‘truck cleavage’ through that orifice… :open_mouth:

I recently drove a truck with cameras all around that patched the image onto a single screen to give a panoramic view around the truck. All very good except that some cyclists are still rushing up the side of trucks when the lights have changed and the truck is actually in motion. Just remember it not all about cyclists, we also have to look out for pedestrians, traffic signals, what the other vehicles are up to, street furniture, clearance issues, road markings, as well as looking for streets or turnoffs either via satnav or eyeballing. Even Marty Feldman couldn’t look in both mirrors at the same time and manage to look at a camera screen…

None of this will reduce the deaths, as it is the cyclists that keep putting themselves in those lethal situations to begin with.

Sorry to disagree, but a mate of mine had a new FM earlier this year, which had one of these windows fitted. As a result of the conversion, the nearside door window could not be lowered.

nyk473l:

LIBERTY_GUY:

peirre:

LIBERTY_GUY:
the terminally stupid.

That’ll be Boris then …

Sorry to disagree, but a mate of mine had a new FM earlier this year, which had one of these windows fitted. As a result of the conversion, the nearside door window could not be lowered.

Thats just stupid…

nyk473l:

LIBERTY_GUY:

peirre:

LIBERTY_GUY:
the terminally stupid.

That’ll be Boris then …

The ‘visibility windows’ I have seen are tiny little things, probably less than a foot square. They at floor level in the cabs and right at the front of the doors. In that position they shouldn’t intrude into the winder mechanisms, but if they do on some makes of truck, that is going to cause real problems with complying with this latest ‘requirement’. Ultimately there has to be a cut off point where hauliers need to say enough is enough, grow a pair and tell Boris and his mates that trucks in London will no longer be a problem as they won’t be going in there again.

LIBERTY_GUY:

Of the recent cyclist fatalities in London which ones are you blaming the cyclist for?

roaduser66:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Of the recent cyclist fatalities in London which ones are you blaming the cyclist for?

Don’t think he’s specifically blaming any. I think he’s saying that in a cyclist fatality where the cyclist had cycled up the inside of a lorry at a set of lights it could have been avoided quite simply by the cyclist not putting him/herself in that situation in the first place.

It’s actually nothing more complicated than looking after number one tbh. There’s no law to prevent me peering down the barrel of a loaded gun, but I wouldn’t do it.

Unless these new doors are going to be virtually 80 per cent window, they’ll be about as much use as ■■■■ on a hen.

Problem with those little lower “visibility panels” or whatever you choose to call them is that the driver has to look outside his natural arc of forward and wing mirrors, not forgetting his speedometer and perhaps also his satnav. They’d also be virtually useless if you’re carrying a passenger as their legs would block the view; as would the engine hump and central stowage box in some cab types.

They wouldn’t, IMO, offer much advantage over the stock kerbside and front mirrors already fitted. The bus-type doors fitted to dustcarts and the like might be better, but realistically how would they fit on normal “haulage” type cabs?

I’ve said this before; you can put as many extra mirrors, cameras and other assorted gizmos on a lorry as you like, but the driver’s only ever got one pair of eyes, and the more time he spends watching extra bits the less individual time he spends on the ones which are already in use.

99% of cycle lanes are on the near side.

But cyclists filtering injudiciously is not what’s causing these fatalities. A quarter of them involve the lorry driver colliding with the rear of the bike. So when professional lorry drivers accuse cyclists of being “suicidal” simply by virtue of being on the nearside it automatically blames the cyclist even if the driver has just overtaken and then cut in.

roaduser66:
99% of cycle lanes are on the near side.

But cyclists filtering injudiciously is not what’s causing these fatalities. A quarter of them involve the lorry driver colliding with the rear of the bike. So when professional lorry drivers accuse cyclists of being “suicidal” simply by virtue of being on the nearside it automatically blames the cyclist even if the driver has just overtaken and then cut in.

I’ll not dispute cycle lanes being on the nearside as that has been my experience too. My point was that just because you legally CAN do something it doesn’t make it right that you SHOULD do it. Surely you agree?

Maybe it’s me being dim but in the second part of your post you state that a quarter of fatalities are caused by lorry drivers colliding with the rear of a bike but then go on to say about drivers overtaking and then cutting in. Surely that wouldn’t involve colliding with the rear of the bike? Or am I misunderstanding you?

roaduser66:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Of the recent cyclist fatalities in London which ones have the drivers been actually prosecuted?

Not just arrested but actually charged with an offence.

Were are cutting a Foden door open this weekend ,I’ll post some pics when it’s done .

Punchy Dan:
Were are cutting a Foden door open this weekend ,I’ll post some pics when it’s done .

Just leave the door off Dan, from my memory of Fodens the draught wont be any worse without it, you can shout at the cyclists and just think of the weight saving! :slight_smile:

Pete.

roaduser66:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Just look at some of the clips on YouTube on cyclists riding up the inside of trucks and buses when they have actually started moving and is some cases already turning, or cyclists shooting straight across red lights without even looking, or cyclists trying to squeeze through gaps in the centre of the road when traffic coming the other way doesn’t allow a big enough gap to allow that manouvre and it soon becomes obvious that many cyclists are putting themselves in potentially lethal situations. No good riding like a lunatic then trying to blame others when things go tragically wrong. Cyclists have to take some responsibility for their own actions and contribute to keeping themselves safe, instead of constantly trying to blame all and sundry for their own reckless actions.

That would be a useful reply had I asked if there are clips on youtube of cyclists being silly.

Sadly that wasn’t my question.

My question was “Which of the recent cyclist fatalities are you blaming on the cyclist?”

Alan Neve was killed by an uninsured, unlicensed lorry driver who had jumped a red light.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Catriona Patel was drunk and chatting on a mobile.

The lorry driver who killed Eilidh Cairns had faulty eyesight (the police didn’t even bother to discover this until the same driver killed another woman.)

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Brian Dorling turned across his path.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Svetlana Tereschenko was in an unsafe lorry, failing to indicate and chatting on a mobile. The police decided to charge him with…nothing.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Deep Lee failed to notice her and smashed into her from behind.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Andrew McNicoll failed to notice him and side swiped him.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Daniel Cox was in a truck which did not have the correct mirrors and whose driver had pulled into the ASL on a red light and was indicating in the opposite direction to which he turned.

How do you think the families of these cyclists feel when they see posters here calling cyclists “suicidal”?

In the cycling fatalities you have mentioned, fitted extra mirrors, cameras, windows in the doors or anything else that Boris proposed, would not have changed a thing. If the drivers concerned were doing irresponsible things at the wheel having an allegedly ‘safer’ lorry would not have prevented these cyclists getting killed.

These are just fatalities that are highlighted though, but there must be numerous severe injuries, moderate injuries and slight injuries that are never recorded where cyclists have collided with other road vehicles and even pedestrians. I frequently see cyclists wearing dark clothing in poor light, or riding with headphones on so they cannot hear what is happening around them, yet you never See Boris talking about compulsory measures for cyclists, or talking about how cyclists can take measures to protect themselves.

There is no such thing as a safer vehicle and the only true resolve is driver (and rider) education about the dangers (IMHO).

roaduser66:
That would be a useful reply had I asked if there are clips on youtube of cyclists being silly.

Sadly that wasn’t my question.

My question was “Which of the recent cyclist fatalities are you blaming on the cyclist?”

Alan Neve was killed by an uninsured, unlicensed lorry driver who had jumped a red light.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Catriona Patel was drunk and chatting on a mobile.

The lorry driver who killed Eilidh Cairns had faulty eyesight (the police didn’t even bother to discover this until the same driver killed another woman.)

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Brian Dorling turned across his path.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Svetlana Tereschenko was in an unsafe lorry, failing to indicate and chatting on a mobile. The police decided to charge him with…nothing.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Deep Lee failed to notice her and smashed into her from behind.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Andrew McNicoll failed to notice him and side swiped him.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Daniel Cox was in a truck which did not have the correct mirrors and whose driver had pulled into the ASL on a red light and was indicating in the opposite direction to which he turned.

How do you think the families of these cyclists feel when they see posters here calling cyclists “suicidal”?

Where are these judgments recorded so that I may see for myself?

Edit - I’m actually going through them now - some interesting points, certainly in one of the inquests, that you seem to have omitted @roaduser66. I’ll post a reply when I can.